1983 NFL Draft- Why didn't the Colts just select Dickerson?

CSKreager

1983 NFL Draft- Why didn't the Colts just select Dickerson?

Post by CSKreager »

It would have saved them the Elway hassle, considering he wasn't going to make the same hubbub as John did (threatening to play for the Yankees).

For all we hear about the trade and Indy having the draft chip and all the possibilities, they could have merely just gone to door #2.

How much do you think things change if they choose Dickerson instead?

And where might Elway have fallen if no Denver trade possibly happens?
Rupert Patrick

Re: 1983 NFL Draft- Why didn't the Colts just select Dickers

Post by Rupert Patrick »

The Rams have the second pick in the draft, and I think the Rams snap up Elway with the second pick. This of course will make for some classic passing battles in the 80's between Elway and Montana when the Rams and 49ers met, but I think the more interesting ripples are felt in the AFC, where the loss of Elway helps to weaken the balance of power between the AFC and NFC between 1983-1996. Without Elway, the Broncos perhaps gamble on bringing Warren Moon to Denver instead of Houston, or give Doug Flutie the shot he deserved and he turns in a HOF career in the US instead of Canada. I think Dan Reeves would have been successful in Denver in the 80's with or without Elway; I'm not saying he would have went to three Super Bowls without Elway, but he would have made them a very competitive team one way or another and they had a pretty decent defense. Maybe Denver gambles on Marino or Jim Kelly with the fourth pick, and they do actually wind up going to three Super Bowls (and losing them) in the 80's.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The Colts and Chargers were talking about a trade (with Fouts unsigned), but the Colts demanded all three of their first rounders. The first of those picks was at #5, which SD didn't want to give up, with the Chargers ending up re-signing Fouts the night before the draft. Had they pulled off the trade for Elway, it leads to an interesting what-if: Fouts would have been traded, but considering he was 32-33 at the time, which Super Bowl or bust team does he get traded to?

Dan Reeves' Dallas roots were reportedly strong enough to have considered a deal with the Cowboys to switch first round positions (#4 and #23), which would have been a history-changing move that would have flopped for both teams. Reportedly, Reeves was pondering a deal that would net the Broncos the following Cowboys: QB Glenn Carano, WR Butch Johnson and TE Jay Saldi, while Dallas really wanted to take LB Billy Ray Smith. Marino (and Ken O'Brien) would have still been available for Denver, since Carano was 27 and would have to have been considered a stopgap at QB, since he had 21 pass completions for his career at the time and would be done after the '83 season.
slats7

Post by slats7 »

BD Sullivan wrote:Dan Reeves' Dallas roots were reportedly strong enough to have considered a deal with the Cowboys to switch first round positions (#4 and #23), which would have been a history-changing move that would have flopped for both teams. Reportedly, Reeves was pondering a deal that would net the Broncos the following Cowboys: QB Glenn Carano, WR Butch Johnson and TE Jay Saldi, while Dallas really wanted to take LB Billy Ray Smith. Marino (and Ken O'Brien) would have still been available for Denver, since Carano was 27 and would have to have been considered a stopgap at QB, since he had 21 pass completions for his career at the time and would be done after the '83 season.
And if I'm not mistaken, the Cowboys basically had a trade in place for the first overall pick, but the Colts' GM overruled the owner and nixed the deal.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

After watching the 30 for 30 show, if the Colts draft anyone else but Elway, it would have been Marino. They were already set at RB with Curtis "Dr. Zoom" Dickey and Randy McMillan, and Marino was the main reason that Accorsi wanted a pick in the top 10 in any trade offer.

Then, after the Rams take Elway, and the Hawks take Warner (I think that Knox preferred him over Dickerson), the Broncos are there at four with Dickerson still available. They may do that trade with Dallas that BD mentioned, but man, I don't know about that. I think you have to take him.

A future in Denver with ED at running back, and either DeBerg or Mark Herrmann (On the MNF telecast of the 81 Min@Den game, Howard Cosell said that Reeves thought that Mark could be their QB of the future) at QB: Not too bad. I don't think they go to three SB's, but they probably make at least one, because if the Rams can get to the NFC Title Game with ED and Dieter Brock, the Broncos can get to the bowl with ED and one of those two guys.