Belated Happy Birthday

oldecapecod11

Belated Happy Birthday

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Belated Happy Birthday

Boston University's Nickerson Field - originally Braves Field - was celebrated for its centennial year on September 26th.
The first game was the Boston Braves 3-1 Win versus the Saint Louis Cardinals on August 18, 1915 with 46,000 attending.
The Red Sox won back-to-back World Series in 1915 and 1916 and clinched the 1916 flag at Braves Field.
The Washington Redskins - then the Boston Braves - played their first game at Braves Field.
In 1960, the first regular season game in AFL history featured the Denver Broncos with their vertically striped socks defeating the Boston Patriots.
Can't think of any other venue in use today that played host to the first game of three existing professional football franchises?
It was affectionately known as "The Wigwam."
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
rhickok1109

Re: Belated Happy Birthday

Post by rhickok1109 »

I covered a Packer-Giant exhibition game there in 1958. (I may have posted about this before, but I'm not even sure; it would have been on an earlier version of the forum.)

Richard Nixon, then V-P under Eisenhower, unexpectedly turned up at the game and afterward in the Packer dressing room, where I interviewed him. The Green Bay Press-Gazette paid me $50 for the game story and $100 for the Nixon interview, which ran on Page 1 :D