Worst NFL Hall of Famers

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: Worst NFL Hall of Famers

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Bryan wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:From his list, I agree with his choices of Stabler, Swann, Fred Dean, Grimm and LeBeau, maybe a couple others. Some of them could go either way. But I strongly disagree with the idea that Namath and Ace Parker don't belong. I would've voted for either one with no qualms.

He also missed several guys who I'd say are among the weakest Hall of Famers: Wayne Miller, Alex Wojo-whatever, Joe Guyon, Walt Kiesling. Sure, they're from a long time ago, but he did include Red Badgro (who I agree is not a bad choice for this list), and all but Guyon played after Badgro.
the
And as always, I'll add that there are quite a few non-players and non-coaches who were worse selections than any of these players.
I think the overall analysis was pretty lazy. It lists a lot of the more recent 'questionable' selections, but it doesn't really get at the true "worst HOFers". It seems like a lot of guys who were really great players but maybe didn't have the notoriety or impressive statistics ended up making this list. I don't know how someone could watch film on someone like Frank Gatski or Dave Wilcox and not come away impressed. To claim that either of those guys are the worst HOFers is ridiculous. Jackie Smith and Dave Robinson could compete with anyone at their position at any point in history.

One guy who I thought was interesting (and predictable) was the listing of Ray Nitschke. Yes, he lack pro bowls. He earned 1st or 2nd team all-pro honors basically every year from 1962-1969. The Packers defense of the 60's was one of the best in history. Nitschke was a physical freak, which allowed the Packers DL to penetrate upfield and not worry about shielding Nitschke from potential blockers. I think he was a great player.

I guess I'll have to create a ranked 'worst' list....but it would include quite a few non-players, too.

The mere fact that Dave Wilcox and Charlie Joiner (who retired as the NFL's all-time leading receiver) are on this list really strains his credibility for me. I clicked on the link to his name for his bio, and it says he is a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. These sorts of critical lists never appealed to me. I saw Charlie Joiner play. I could tell he was a Hall of Famer when I was 12 years old. Perhaps one of the best third-down receivers ever.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I've seen Marcus Allen and Doak Walker on these lists before and I disagree. Both are HOFers for me. The two I actually have trouble with are Canadeo and Trippi. Trippi did have the big championship game in '47 while I don't think Canadeo has anything comparable. I would guess both are getting credit for versatility especially passing as both served as their teams' primary passers for periods of time. They probably get credit for being two-way players as well, but given the years they played, I think its safe to assume they played a lot less defense than similar backs would have played a decade earlier. Not to pile on, but if Canadeo wasn't in the HOF and he turned up on the HOVG ballot, I'm not sure how well he would do.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:The two I actually have trouble with are Canadeo and Trippi. Trippi did have the big championship game in '47 while I don't think Canadeo has anything comparable. I would guess both are getting credit for versatility especially passing as both served as their teams' primary passers for periods of time. They probably get credit for being two-way players as well, but given the years they played, I think its safe to assume they played a lot less defense than similar backs would have played a decade earlier. Not to pile on, but if Canadeo wasn't in the HOF and he turned up on the HOVG ballot, I'm not sure how well he would do.
I think that Trippi is given credit for subjectively being a better player than his statistics suggest. If a big play was needed, Trippi would supply it. Is that accurate? Not really sure. Trippi got a late start due to WWII, but there really isn't a whole lot of meat on the bone to his career.

I always accepted Canadeo as a HOFer without much thought because his numbers are comparable to the other HOF RBs of his era. But that era of the 40's is really difficult to assess. He missed a prime year due to the war. He had 5 seasons where he finished in the top 5 in rushing. He played a long time and compiled some stats, but he doesn't really appear to be dynamic in any area....a serviceable return man, decent receiver, punted a bit, sometimes threw....is that a HOF career? Probably not. But I could see how Canadeo makes it in with guys like Dudley and McAfee.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

So...I went down the list of the 314 HOF players and here are the guys that made me go "huh?"....for some of these guys, if they were enshrined during my lifetime, I can refer to my initial "huh?" reaction that was done in real time...for others, it's more like a retrospective "huh?".....this was a very empirical analysis in chronological order:

Guyon
Pollard (come at me, bro)
Kiesling
Badgro
Milner
"Wojo"
Sprinkle
Stanfel
Richter
LeBeau
Winston Hill
Floyd Little
Riley
Carmichael
Dean
Carson
Covert
Mills
Lynch
Bryant Young
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Percentage-wise, less than 1 is really pretty good. Could you also tag the ones that were later by special committee? That part is more concerning to me - if they are just picking favorites, etc. then it isn't being done correctly - not that anyone will ask me, but I think I've seen enough where I'd rather them cancel the senior committee now while they've still done some good things (Friedman, others) rather than continue down the current path.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The QBs, Warner, Jurgenson, Namath, Griese, Stabler, Fouts, Moon gets a pass because of Canada, were exciting players but very on the fence about being in the HOF ... some are on the fence about Brocklin, Dawson and Aikman as well. No way Blanda makes it without his kicking.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Bryan wrote:So...I went down the list of the 314 HOF players and here are the guys that made me go "huh?"....for some of these guys, if they were enshrined during my lifetime, I can refer to my initial "huh?" reaction that was done in real time...for others, it's more like a retrospective "huh?".....this was a very empirical analysis in chronological order:

Guyon
Pollard (come at me, bro)
Kiesling
Badgro
Milner
"Wojo"
Sprinkle
Stanfel
Richter
LeBeau
Winston Hill
Floyd Little
Riley
Carmichael
Dean
Carson
Covert
Mills
Lynch
Bryant Young
Good list -- and worlds better than the one in the article linked at the beginning of this thread.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:The QBs, Warner, Jurgenson, Namath, Griese, Stabler, Fouts, Moon gets a pass because of Canada, were exciting players but very on the fence about being in the HOF ... some are on the fence about Brocklin, Dawson and Aikman as well. No way Blanda makes it without his kicking.
QBs are an interesting case, different that other positions. A few on this list are borderline for me but some are clear HOFers. But it is also one of those things where reasonable people can disagree. We all have our criteria and none are the same. Some are perhaps more All-Pro-centric. i.e. such and such was not All-Pro enough and for others it may be statistics are light and for others a different mix of those and or other things.

I always wonder about the guys pre-1945 or so where there is really little film to see so we can give our own opinion about guys. A lot of the same names are on a lot of lists from that era and would be good to see Milner or Badgro play more than a clip here or there. There is a bit of them on championship highlight films that run just a few minutes.

Anyway, good discussion, IMO.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

At least Ladewski's article was interesting, the football writers--couldnt find out who-- who did overrated players lists and undeserving HOF players lists at thedelite.com wouldnt know crap from crayola ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

For me, Jackie Smith is a clear HOFamer. He retired as the TE leader in receptions, and his yard per catch was better that many of the top WRs of his era, and also was a great blocker. And I am a Cowboys fan and never blamed him for losing Super Bowl XIII.