Worst NFL Hall of Famers

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Worst NFL Hall of Famers

Post by JohnTurney »

Worst NFL Hall of Famers
Via Stadium Talk
by Paul Ladewski

link:
https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/worst-nfl ... d726f94f79

I cannot remember what his original list said, this was updated in Feb.
It could be same list or maybe a change or two . . . he may have added
some? Or maybe just just small change . . .

anyway...reflects a lot of players that have been discussed here for
same reasons
Brian wolf

Re: Worst NFL Hall of Famers

Post by Brian wolf »

His article was interesting and I agree and disagree on many of the players but its always touchy and subjective. Even the criteria or standards for selecting a HOF player can be subjective, divided and limited.

Yes, longevity for a player has merit but what about career peaks and players who passed the eye tests or "wow" factor who got injured or had short careers? To be honest, I was more excited watching Billy Sims or William Andrews play than Frank Gore or Fred Taylor. How is a RB judged by running yardage but not receiving, blocking or special teams? Why are QBs judged mostly on passing or statistics but not consistent, team winning as a starter or even off the bench?
Why isnt TDs scored or postseason success not considered enough?
Every writer, voter or committee can establish its own guidelines or disregard others but I guess they can just change with each generation coming in ...

Many on here believe in a very small HOF, which it probably should be but even with the "quota system" that Ladewski writes about, the players elected to the HOF still doesnt even represent 2% of all the players who ever suited up for games in its 113 year history --I count from 1910 to now--which I think, not certain, is still better than any other professionally voted, Hall Of Fame, regardless of sport or other competitive endeavor ...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:, the players elected to the HOF still doesnt even represent 2% of all the players who ever suited up for games in its 113 year history --I count from 1910 to now--.
And with expanding rosters the numbers get skewed against recent players. In any given year close to more than 1700 people play in NFL--then counting practice squads--a lot more.
counting all the major All-Pro teams...maybe 28-32 guys make first-team All-Pro including special teamers and guys who made one but not another - that's just under 2%. With all the Pro Bowl replacements- Pro Bowlers can be maybe 5-6% of the league.

70s would be, call it 40-45-man rosters, 26-28 teams 1000-1250 players = 2.2 or maybe 3ish% and Pro Bowls maybe 8-9%

50s even higher percentages

60s has the AFL-NFL thing, 2 leagues, 2 All-Pro teams, etc.

I get that some are small hall guys and some on Twitter, maybe no so much here, are big hall guys...but not sure what the ballpark percentages would be . . and
I think there are some uf us in the middle...but I don't know what that percentage would be, either,

Like you, not advocating a percentage system, just looking after the fact and seeing what the numbers are. Whatever the case, I like the 5 a year, 3 seniors, plus the alternating coach/contributor - but I think the super seniors are still getting bypassed but to me there are not a ton of them, but others think there are quite a few from 1910s-1940s . . .to each his own.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

What I find amusing about this article is all the players are from the past. There are no recent players (previous 20-25 years) who are "worst HOFers." BUT look at who has been inducted recently...

Tony Boselli
Bryant Young
John Lynch
Terrell Davis
Jerome Bettis

LOL.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

From his list, I agree with his choices of Stabler, Swann, Fred Dean, Grimm and LeBeau, maybe a couple others. Some of them could go either way. But I strongly disagree with the idea that Namath and Ace Parker don't belong. I would've voted for either one with no qualms.

He also missed several guys who I'd say are among the weakest Hall of Famers: Wayne Miller, Alex Wojo-whatever, Joe Guyon, Walt Kiesling. Sure, they're from a long time ago, but he did include Red Badgro (who I agree is not a bad choice for this list), and all but Guyon played after Badgro.

And as always, I'll add that there are quite a few non-players and non-coaches who were worse selections than any of these players.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its interesting in the article that he mentions Marcus Allen, whose career highlights were long, who was such a complete and fully dimensional running back that he got rightfully elected in spite of lower or compiling rushing yardage ... You cant argue againt TDs scored or high scrimmage yards though compilation and fumbles, somewhat make an argument against his election. Yet Walter Payton and Tony Dorsett fumbled alot as well and deservedly made the HOF ...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:Its interesting in the article that he mentions Marcus Allen
It is interesting that he mentions no Chicago Bears but finds plenty of Packers that he'd boot...being from Chicago.
I guess the Bears' guys are all solid. :)
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Well John, Paul's thoughts on these Packers would make George proud but 2 outta 5 aint bad. Hornung keek dee ball however, no disrespect to Packers fans, I think Paul is great two ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Bob Gill wrote:From his list, I agree with his choices of Stabler, Swann, Fred Dean, Grimm and LeBeau, maybe a couple others. Some of them could go either way. But I strongly disagree with the idea that Namath and Ace Parker don't belong. I would've voted for either one with no qualms.

He also missed several guys who I'd say are among the weakest Hall of Famers: Wayne Miller, Alex Wojo-whatever, Joe Guyon, Walt Kiesling. Sure, they're from a long time ago, but he did include Red Badgro (who I agree is not a bad choice for this list), and all but Guyon played after Badgro.

And as always, I'll add that there are quite a few non-players and non-coaches who were worse selections than any of these players.
I think the overall analysis was pretty lazy. It lists a lot of the more recent 'questionable' selections, but it doesn't really get at the true "worst HOFers". It seems like a lot of guys who were really great players but maybe didn't have the notoriety or impressive statistics ended up making this list. I don't know how someone could watch film on someone like Frank Gatski or Dave Wilcox and not come away impressed. To claim that either of those guys are the worst HOFers is ridiculous. Jackie Smith and Dave Robinson could compete with anyone at their position at any point in history.

One guy who I thought was interesting (and predictable) was the listing of Ray Nitschke. Yes, he lack pro bowls. He earned 1st or 2nd team all-pro honors basically every year from 1962-1969. The Packers defense of the 60's was one of the best in history. Nitschke was a physical freak, which allowed the Packers DL to penetrate upfield and not worry about shielding Nitschke from potential blockers. I think he was a great player.

I guess I'll have to create a ranked 'worst' list....but it would include quite a few non-players, too.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Though subjective, these are players/coaches/contributors/owners I dont agree with in the HOF. Will have to update as well with recent elections. Just because I dont agree with these choices, doesnt mean many of them arent great, its close on a lot of electees ...

Worst HOF Members

Owners

Charles Bidwell Sr.--close--
Dan Reeves
Wellington Mara
Dan Rooney
Art Rooney Jr --soon enough--
Ed DeBartalo Jr
Jerry Jones
Pat Bowlen

Contributors

Hugh "shorty" Ray
Tex Schramm
Jim Finks
Bill Polian
Bobby Beathard
Gil Brandt
Paul Tagliabue
Steve Sabol -- dad was enough--
Art McNally

Head Coaches

Tony Dungy --very close--
Jimmy Johnson --very close--
Dick Vermeil

Players

Red Badgro
Tony Canadeo
Walt Keisling
Wayne Millner
Doak Walker--on the fence because of short career--
Jan Stenerud
Dan Hampton
Harry Carson
Charlie Sanders
Andre Tippett
Bob Hayes
Floyd Little
Kurt Warner
Jimbo Covert
Ed Sprinkle
Paul Hornung
John Henry Johnson --very close--
Buck Buchanon --very close--
LeeRoy Selmon --very close--
Elvin Bethea --very close--
Russ Grimm
Cortez Kennedy --very close--
Steve Atwater --very close--
John Lynch --very close--
Sam Mills
Joe Klecko --on the fence--

Only going with Lavelli because of championships but like Walker and Hornung, very close.