2023 Modern-Era Finalists

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: 2023 Modern-Era Finalists

Post by Brian wolf »

Good picks and Cowboys' heavy ... We will see if the voters lean that way but Albert Lewis seems to get mentioned a lot as well. Interesting that a new article on PFJ let readers know how Tony Dungy felt and if he picked corners for a starting team, Lewis would be his choice over Sanders and others.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote:going to give it a shot

Jared Allen

Ronde Barber

Albert Lewis

Reavis Island

Joe Thomas
I hope you are right on Albert Lewis

My picks--I posted them 12/19 . . . in order of how it will end up...last year missed on Sam Mills
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... -fame.html
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:Good picks and Cowboys' heavy ... We will see if the voters lean that way but Albert Lewis seems to get mentioned a lot as well. Interesting that a new article on PFJ let readers know how Tony Dungy felt and if he picked corners for a starting team, Lewis would be his choice over Sanders and others.
Hope it helps...just think too many CBs . . . and Lewis will get the Everson Walls treatment...they have put in 2 CBs in same class recently, but 3 is asking
a lot. Dungy may carry weight, but he's also going to be considered biased.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think Joe Thomas is in for sure. Albert Lewis was chosen for a finalist for a reason... have not seen him this far in recent years. My gut tells me he will get in.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'm on the fence and leaning no with Lewis. Deron Cherry seemed to have the more impressive career, more picks, more honors, in the 1980s Chiefs secondary and I'd support him for the HOF. I'm sure Lewis gets a boost from a lengthy career and a decent "second act" of his career with the Raiders.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I'm on the fence and leaning no with Lewis. Deron Cherry seemed to have the more impressive career, more picks, more honors, in the 1980s Chiefs secondary and I'd support him for the HOF. I'm sure Lewis gets a boost from a lengthy career and a decent "second act" of his career with the Raiders.
I think so too. Lewis is light on accolades for the HOF, in my eyes. You have guys like Ken Riley and Dick Anderson who had more INTs and more accolades, who I think are more deserving.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With Riley probably getting in, I figure at least two CBs but not three. Revis could go first ballot but Barber is in the queue ... Good call on Anderson, Slugger ... He and Scott should have already entered the HOF but others beat them to it. Both were huge in postseason games for Miami.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:With Riley probably getting in, I figure at least two CBs but not three. Revis could go first ballot but Barber is in the queue ... Good call on Anderson, Slugger ... He and Scott should have already entered the HOF but others beat them to it. Both were huge in postseason games for Miami.
Both a part of the No Name Defense.

Anderson - 3x Pro Bowl, 3x all-pro, 2x Super Bowl champion, Defensive Rookie of Year, Defensive POY, 34 career INTs;

Scott - 5x Pro Bowl, 4x all-pro, 2x Super Bowl champion, SB VII MVP, 49 career INTs;

compared to Albert Lewis...

4x Pro Bowl, 2x all-pro, 42 career INTs... just 4 INTs in his final five seasons, too.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I understand the comparisons and it is only natural to favor a guy you feel is more deserving than a guy on the ballot but...
In my opinion the real (only?) question to be considered is: Is this guy worthy of the hall of fame?

Maybe, (and I think likely so) those Dolphins D-backs are more deserving than Albert Lewis is but they aren't on the ballot so, to me, the question is: Is Albert Lewis worthy of enshrinement? And, compared to the others on this year's ballot is he deserving of the honor.

People who aren't on the ballot, while interesting conversation pieces, shouldn't figure into this year's vote (imo).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Dick Anderson should have been All-Pro in either 1968 or 1970.

In the 1971 AFC Championship his interception return for TD was one of the best in NFL history.

His two interceptions against Clev were the difference in a 1972 Divisional playoff win.

His forced fumble and 4th down stop of Stabler ended a Raider rally in the 1973 AFC Championship game ... He also had an interception in the divisional win against Cincinnati