Matt Ryan

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Matt Ryan

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What does he have to do now to “shore up” HOVG, and what would he have to do from here to actually, possibly propel himself into…Canton??
Brian wolf

Re: Matt Ryan

Post by Brian wolf »

Stafford was the feel-good story last year. It may not help him reach the HOF but if Matt Ryan could duplicate the story for the Colts this year, he will reach Canton, though it will wait ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Ryan = 14 seasons, 11 average to above average seasons, 2 very good seasons, 1 exceptional season.

When did Matt Ryan morph into a HOF-caliber QB? Even in terms of HOVG, Ryan is like a pre-back injury John Hadl, and Hadl is vastly superior to Ryan in terms of black ink.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Ryan is an interesting case. His HOF Monitor score from PFR puts him pretty well into the discussion for the HOF, but I think the one exceptional season does a lot of the heavy lifting there to boost him. Aside from that, Ryan made the PB three other times(none since that MVP year) and seems to be just..kind of a compiler.

People cringe when mentioning Philip Rivers for the HOF, but Rivers IMO has a better resume on the entirety of their careers and was more consistently a better football player. (More PB's, more MVP vote seasons, more OPOY votes, etc)

I'd put Rivers in the HOF well before Ryan. Ryan to me is a HOVG candidate, Rivers is a guy who I think belongs in the HOF.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Whats your take on the recent nominees of Howley, Riley, Klecko and Coryell, Hail Casares ?
Agree, Disagree ?
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Brian wolf wrote:Whats your take on the recent nominees of Howley, Riley, Klecko and Coryell, Hail Casares ?
Agree, Disagree ?
Howley, to me, has always been a guy who I thought belonged. It's tough to argue against his peak. I think if you can point to a player and say he was arguably the best at his position for a half decade straight, perhaps longer, he deserves enshrinement.

Riley was an easy no for me. The Bengal who should be in, IMO, is Ken Anderson if you're having to decide between them.

Ditto for Klecko. Nice players. Not HOF'ers.

I've always been a bit of a Coryell mark. Gun to my head, I'd put him in. He was so influential it's tough to imagine the NFL today without him, but I get the argument against him.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks ... Like hearing different peoples takes on the nominees, though this thread is about Ryan, who probably wont make it into the HOF but I dont believe Rivers, Newton or Eli will either.
Wilson in Denver needs to take the team to at least an AFC Championship game, while continuing to start games to solidify his case. His running yards may decline though if the Broncos can protect him.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Brian wolf wrote:Thanks ... Like hearing different peoples takes on the nominees, though this thread is about Ryan, who probably wont make it into the HOF but I dont believe Rivers, Newton or Eli will either.
Wilson in Denver needs to take the team to at least an AFC Championship game, while continuing to start games to solidify his case. His running yards may decline though if the Broncos can protect him.
I think Eli is a lock(right or wrong). His last name/family. Big market. Two rings over the GOAT. Long term compiler.

River should be in, IMO.

Cam needed more success long term. His 2011 and 2015 were really specially 30-40TDs. 4000-5000 yards of production. There just wasn't much around them.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good comments from everybody. The NFL loves "stories" about veteran QBs taking teams all the way and this year could be no different for Wilson in Denver, Ryan in Indy, Stafford in LA again or Brady in TB. Its time for younger QBs to break this trend but can Mahomes, Jackson, Burrow, Prescott, Herbert or others meet expectations ? I still think Rodgers in GB could finally get it done again but only if the Packer defense does more of the heavy lifting. A feel good story could come out somewhere because parity is todays game.

Since winning a championship with Denver in 2015 for Peyton Manning, only four other QBs have led teams to championships and two of those, Brady and Stafford, did it with different teams! Even Foles won after leaving the Eagles for the Rams and then rejoining the Eagles. Only Brady and Mahomes did it with their original teams. A continuing trend ?

2015 -- Manning after leaving Indy for Denver
2016 -- Brady from original NE team
2017 -- Foles/Wentz after Foles left St. Louis for Philly again
2018 -- Brady and NE again
2019 -- Mahomes from original KC team
2020 -- Brady after leaving NE for TB
2021 -- Stafford after leaving Det for LA
2022 -- ??
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Ryan was benched for the rest of the season by Reich today. He was never worthy of HOF consideration anyway. I can’t believe that Cam Newton has even been mentioned in this thread.