HoF Bruce Smith comments about Hof-inductee Tony Boselli

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Ronfitch

HoF Bruce Smith comments about Hof-inductee Tony Boselli

Post by Ronfitch »

"Bruce Smith: Tony Boselli’s Hall of Fame campaign undermined the integrity of the Hall

Former Jaguars left tackle Tony Boselli will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August, and another Hall of Famer doesn’t seem too happy about that.

Bruce Smith, the Bills great who is the only player in NFL history with 200 sacks, wrote in a lengthy statement on Instagram that he doesn’t consider Boselli among the most accomplished left tackles in NFL history, and also took issue with the focus of Boselli’s Hall of Fame campaign on a particularly good playoff game that Boselli had against Smith."

Entire read:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -the-hall/
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Brian wolf

Re: HoF Bruce Smith comments about Hof-inductee Tony Boselli

Post by Brian wolf »

Smith is right. Boselli played well against him in that 96/97 WC game and the press ate it up. He could play great but two weeks later Willie McGinest had his way with him for the Patriots in the AFC Championship game. Smith likes Richmond Webb better but I didnt think Webb was committed to run blocking ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

i agree with #78 100%
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Didnt seem to effect Drew Pearson adversely.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Not sure if it is underhanded tactics as Smith said...I think it's giving too much importance to a singular incident. I think Boselli is a borderline high peak/short career HOFer, but at least his performance against Smith is real. Unlike all-decade teams or Bryant Young's hypothetical dominance of Mark Schlereth.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote:Smith is right. Boselli played well against him in that 96/97 WC game and the press ate it up. He could play great but two weeks later Willie McGinest had his way with him for the Patriots in the AFC Championship game. Smith likes Richmond Webb better but I didnt think Webb was committed to run blocking ...
McGinest played 9 quarters against Boselli in 96 and totaled 0 sacks. In the regular season OT game, the Jags doubled the Pats yardage output. The Jags again had significantly more yards than NE in the championship game, but Brunell and James Stewart had some awful turnovers. McGinest wasn't a factor in either game.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I dont know about the regular season game but disagree on the Championship game ... I felt McGinest played well ... The Jags never scored a TD ... I also remember a Cowboys DE, was it Shante Carver ? eating up Boselli in a 1997 game ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The Jags didn't score a TD because of their own ineptitude...not because of some great performance by the NE defense. Settled for FGs of 28 and 32 yards. In the 2nd half, the Jags had the following possessions: Brunell stopped on 4th and 1 from NE 31, Brunell intercepted in the endzone from the 5, James Stewart fumbles near midfield for NE TD return, Brunell intercepted again. If the Jags don't botch a punt to setup NE's 1st TD (4 yard 'drive') and if Stewart doesn't fumble for NE's other TD, it's possible that the Jags win despite playing terribly.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

You can see the pride some of these great athletes have. Smith is one of the greatest pass rushers of all time, there's no debate. He's a legend. But so many years after retirement, with a secure legacy, it still irks him that an on field failure of his is being repeatedly brought up in order to judge the candidacy of another player.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

sheajets wrote:You can see the pride some of these great athletes have. Smith is one of the greatest pass rushers of all time, there's no debate. He's a legend. But so many years after retirement, with a secure legacy, it still irks him that an on field failure of his is being repeatedly brought up in order to judge the candidacy of another player.
Agreed. It's not a good look. I think there is more to this than we are seeing, but I can only speculate.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."