Why isn't Mark Gastineau in the HOF?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Oszuscik

Why isn't Mark Gastineau in the HOF?

Post by Oszuscik »

Granted I never saw him play because his career ended shortly after I was born, but his stats from the early 1980's are staggering. From 1980 to '85 his sack totals were 11.5, 20, 6 (strike year), 19, 22, and 13.5. In a way he reminds me of JJ Watt. Both burned bright for a handful of years and then suffered through various injuries. JJ it would seem has a much better public reputation, but he's commonly mentioned as a future Hall of Famer. I'm not advocating for Gastineau or anything, I'm just curious why he doesn't seem to be in the conversation.
Brian wolf

Re: Why isn't Mark Gastineau in the HOF?

Post by Brian wolf »

A great pass rusher, though reports are varied in his ability to stop the run, though some people thought he did a good job. Klecko will get in before him with his play along the entire line but only had two double-digit season, sack totals ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Gastineau was said that was not great against the run, plus his dance after the sacks annoyed and angried his opponents (a brawl against Jackie Slater and the Rams in 1983 is famous). Correct me, but I believe that when he retired in 1988 at midseason to be with his wife who had cancer, he was leading the NFL in sacks. I have nominated and voted him for the HOVG in the past, I hope he finally gets into the HOVG this year.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jenny Kellner, a horse racing writer for the New York Post, used to cover the Jets. She had a similar experience to Olson's, involving former Jet Mark Gastineau.

'What d'ya think?' he asked her of his naked physique.

Said Kellner: 'It looks like a penis, only smaller.'

Kellner never had problems with Gastineau again.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I remember him fairly well. As someone alluded to, Joe Klecko was regarded as the better player on that line. Gastineau was a very well-known player in the early to mid-80s. He got a lot of highlight love because of his sack celebrations and that was a new thing that was (as mentioned before) not welcomed by opponents and a lot of fans also had mixed feelings. The Jets front four was called the New York Sack Exchange, so he had plenty of fans and he did play at a very high level for maybe 4 or 5 years. Not really long enough for HOF consideration. Had he played for 8-10 years like he did in like 83 and 84, he'd have a real case. But it was really only 4-5 years where he could be considered among the best pass rushers in the game, and one of those years was the strike year of 82. Unfortunately, that kind of counts against him as well. But he was very good and kind of reminded me of Lyle Alzado a bit -- a good player that also stood out for his personality. IMO, J.J. Watt is a far better player. I never watched Watt and compared him to Gastineau, let me put it that way. I am guessing that most fans who saw both would agree.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Teo wrote:Gastineau was said that was not great against the run, plus his dance after the sacks annoyed and angried his opponents (a brawl against Jackie Slater and the Rams in 1983 is famous). Correct me, but I believe that when he retired in 1988 at midseason to be with his wife who had cancer, he was leading the NFL in sacks. I have nominated and voted him for the HOVG in the past, I hope he finally gets into the HOVG this year.
He was nearly a finalist a few years back for the HOVG. I think he is really close and this year might be it. Very deserving.

New York Sack Exchange was before my time. I've never watched them play. I hear a lot about Klecko was superior on the field than Gastineau. Though looks like Gastineau had the superior numbers and accolades.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Between 1980 and 1985, a span of 6 seasons, he was an outright dominant pass rusher.

In that period of time he played in 85 regular season games and recorded 92 sacks. That was pretty much it for his career though he was starting to return to form at retirement. The cases against him are that he was somewhat one dimensional...and a jerk/loose cannon of a person who was not well liked by the press and teammates.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Gastineau played 10 seasons with the New York Jets (1979-1988). He was selected to the Pro Bowl five times and was named all-pro three times. During the span of his career, Gastineau led all defensive ends in sacks with 107.5. (Note that sack numbers before 1982 are unofficial.)
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It probably irritates Gastineau that Klecko got elected before him but he only has himself to blame. Had he kept playing, instead of getting distracted by tall redheads and the fastlane, he might have already been voted in ...
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Brian wolf wrote:It probably irritates Gastineau that Klecko got elected before him but he only has himself to blame. Had he kept playing, instead of getting distracted by tall redheads and the fastlane, he might have already been voted in ...
I thought Brigitte was blonde :D

But that was a weird situation. He just up and quit, supposedly she had cancer...or faked having cancer.