Todd Gurley and Le'veon Bell

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JameisLoseston

Todd Gurley and Le'veon Bell

Post by JameisLoseston »

Seems safe to say both are done doing anything productive. Neither is sniffing Canton. HOVG for either?

I say no and no; one could make a Billy Sims-like case, but inflated stats era and Bell was TD-challenged a bit like William Andrews. Curious if others have a different angle.

How about if Derrick Henry was done today? Obviously he isn't, and is a likely HOFer if this injury is not a long-term issue, but I think I may give him HOVG already. It's close.
Brian wolf

Re: Todd Gurley and Le'veon Bell

Post by Brian wolf »

Gurley isnt done I think ... Bell checked out before joining the Chiefs ... no way
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

King Henry is already close to being a HOFer. .... HOVG should be a lock ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Brian wolf wrote:Gurley isnt done I think ... Bell checked out before joining the Chiefs ... no way
I don't know... it's gotten to the point in the RB Injury Olympics where Adrian Peterson has been picked up, and still no one's touching Gurley.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:Gurley isnt done I think ... Bell checked out before joining the Chiefs ... no way
I agree.

Bell won't get into either I imagine. Gurley is ahead of him I believe. Could be HOVG.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Even in today's era of the "devalued" RB I am rather shocked that Todd Gurley hasn't been signed by anybody. Wasn't he an All-Pro just a few years ago with the Rams?

Bell? I've never been impressed with him even going back to his days in East Lansing. With him it's kind of the opposite: with his (seeming) 4.8 "speed" I'm surprised that he ever had any kind of pro career at all.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

If Bell could get out of social media and rededicate himself to football he could salvage the rest of his career but he has to run harder ... his patient but also hesitant style of running isnt always going to work know matter how well the offensive line, blocks ...
JWL

Post by JWL »

I would vote for Henry to be in the Hall of Fame even if he never played another game. His career is already as long or longer than Gale Sayers and Terrell Davis. Henry has had three tremendous postseason efforts. He also dominated many regular season games.

Remember that nonsensical stance that a few people had on this forum about how Jerome Bettis clearly was going to be the last physically large running back because dwarfism at RB was in or something? Yeah, so much for that. Bettis was not the last big back.

Gurley may never play again. His knee is arthritic. If Billy Sims makes the HOVG (or already made it), then I don't see why Gurley wouldn't make it. Their careers are somewhat similar.

Le'Veon Bell gets the Steelers bump. Maybe he will be considered as the final patient running back in league history. I mean, there is no possible way there could ever be a patient running back again.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Gurley may never play again. His knee is arthritic. If Billy Sims makes the HOVG (or already made it), then I don't see why Gurley wouldn't make it. Their careers are somewhat similar.
Billy Sims is not in, but he's on my top priority list. However, he played in an era where RB talent was much more important to teams than Gurley did.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Gurley's TD numbers are impressive but I think Sims was the better receiver ...