Odell Beckham

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JeffreyMiller

Odell Beckham

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Started out with GOAT potential, but the latter part if his career has been somewhat of disappointment. If he doesn't return to his past level, does he make the HOF?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Brian wolf

Re: Odell Beckham

Post by Brian wolf »

He could change more upward but mentally he has checked out, in my view. These salaries take away many players hunger and desire and then they succumb to injuries or outside distractions like Antonio Brown. Though with Brady, Brown might be able to keep his career going if he can stay focused. Beckham at least has a great ground game to help take the pressure off him but will Mayfield bring the best out of him ?
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Absolutely not. He misses a ton of games and his overall career totals are not very impressive. I cannot see him producing the kind of numbers he did in his first three years at this point in his career.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

Probably not. If he had just a few more elite seasons he'd end up with very good career numbers but what matters is how those numbers and accolades compare to others and the 2010s has even more depth at WR than the 2000s did.

In just his draft class alone there are 4 WR's with more career receiving yards than him(Evans, Adams,Cooks and Landry) and 2 with more TD's(Evans, Adams). While I'd still have him above Landry and Cooks there's just too many wideouts from his era who will have better cases. I think it's likely there will be 10 HOF receivers drafted in the 2010s. While at least another 5-6 will have incredible career stats the line is going to have to be cut off somewhere.

The main thing OBJ has going for him compared to peers is his Y/G stats which despite freefalling for 2 years is 5th all time but even that's only 4th in his era. While I'm a fan of average stats more than totals I feel everyone can see that number is being inflated by his first 2 seasons. It's not impossible for him but he'd have to do a lot.