Don Doll HOVG-HOF

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Don Doll HOVG-HOF

Post by Brian wolf »

How is Don Doll not in either the HOVG or HOF ?

The guy played six seasons, which is a short career but enough in my opinion but retired with 41 interceptions, at the time, the NFL record. He also won a championship with Detroit but was traded inexplicably to the Redskins in 1953, before ending his career with the Rams.
He also had a long coaching career. He should be in the HOF.
Brian wolf

Re: Don Doll HOVG-HOF

Post by Brian wolf »

My mistake ... Doll was second to Emlen Tennell in career interceptions when he retired.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Rats ... Emlen Tunnell
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Don Doll should be in the HOF. IIRC he's still the only guy to have 3 seasons of double-digit interceptions---in other words, half of his career.

I wouldn't hold his short career against him. Teammate Doak Walker got in (deservedly so) and played only 6 years.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I am actually one of the few people who is on the fence about Doak Walker being in the HOF. More of a receiver than runner, his kicking and championships make him worthy but like Paul Hornung, its very close because he was a great team man, more than his individual stats but his eye factor on the field cannot be denied. Worthy but close, due to a shorter career and a media-hyped image which pro football needed at the time. If he is included, other players like Mutryn, Price, Towler, Casares, Benton, Kavanaugh, Kutner, Wilson, Taylor, Beals and Nickel, should be considered more as well ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

When Doak retired after the 1955 season only two guys (Hutson and Waterfield) had scored more points in NFL history. And, at the time, his averages of 89 points per season and 8 points per game were the best in NFL history. Running, passing, receiving, returns, kicking---all of his pro and college contemporaries agree that he was one of the most versatile and best clutch players ever. And he was a helluva DB and was regularly offered the chance in his latter years to switch to defense exclusively, to prolong his career. Just think---the 1955-58 version of Chris's Crew might've been Jack Christiansen, Yale Lary, Jimmy David, and Doak Walker!

The Doaker left the pros at age 27 for a couple reasons: he could make more money in the business world and there was nothing left to accomplish. Consider, in just 6 seasons

* He won 3 division titles and 2 NFL championships
* was 1st Team All-Pro 4 times (and 2nd Team once)
* led the league in scoring in 1950 and 1955
* played in 4 Pro Bowls
* was Rookie of the Year in 1950
* was the highest paid non-QB for most of his career

Throw in the Heisman and Maxwell trophies...the fact that he served his country not once, but twice (merchant marine at tail end of WWII, then a year in the peacetime army)...and his leadership and genuine humility...well, to me personally, Walker was the very embodiment of a Hall of Famer. I'm actually surprised he wasn't voted in sooner. But the Doaker was never the type to toot his own horn, so I'm sure that affected his election prospects.

One of the things I was surprised to learn while doing a book on the '50s Lions was that, in the early years, it was Walker, not Bobby Layne, who was the "face" of the team. It took a few years for fans to warm up to the brasher Layne, and many never fully did. Meanwhile, you were hard-pressed to find anyone to say anything bad about Walker.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good points RichardBak ...

You have a more dimensional grasp of what Walker meant to the Lions than I do. An extremely talented Detroit team that worked well together ... Its time for their head coach to finally get in the HOF this year ... Is Buddy Parker gonna get his due ?
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Parker's another one who should've been in a long time ago.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Haha ... I may need a copy of your book RichardBak.

Seems like Jim David has been slighted as well, especially with interceptions in all of Detroit's championship wins.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Now that you mention it, I think Jimmy David's another one who's been slighted by the HOF. But being a Detroit guy I'll admit to being a bit prejudiced about him and Parker.