The PFRA HoVG Selection Process

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

The PFRA HoVG Selection Process

Post by JuggernautJ »

The Process for HoVG Selection:
1. Any current member of the PFRA may submit 5 names in nomination for the HoVG.
This usually happens in April or May.

2. Each Committee member (9) then ranks their top 20 choices of those nominated from 1 to 20. Points are awarded in inverse order. The top 20 vote getters are submitted to the organization as finalists for the HoVG. This is done shortly after the nomination period is closed.

3. The body politic of the PFRA votes, usually by Halloween (October 31st).
They do so by selecting exactly 10 of the 20 finalists for enshrinement into the HoVG.

4. All of those who appear on 55% of ballots are elected, up to a maximum of 10. The minimum is seven so seven are elected even if fewer than seven receive 55% (the next closest vote getters).

Slightly less enigmatic than the Eleusinian Mysteries...
Let the dithering begin!
RyanChristiansen

Re: The PFRA HoVG Selection Process

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Thank you!
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

You are very welcome!

I have been asked specifically (and repeatedly) about whether or not the HoVG considers leagues other than the NFL when factoring in an individuals contributions to the game. Yes, other leagues are considered.

The directive is: "All candidates should be evaluated by everything they did in pro football."
racepug

Post by racepug »

JuggernautJ wrote:The Process for HoVG Selection:
4. All of those who appear on 55% of ballots are elected, up to a maximum of 10.!
What if more than 10 are on 55% of the ballots and there's a tie for #10?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

racepug wrote:
4. All of those who appear on 55% of ballots are elected, up to a maximum of 10.!
Without looking at the count I would think this is highly unlikely. I don't know that it has ever happened before.
However, being the newbie on the committee I don't know for certain... I will ask.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JuggernautJ wrote:
racepug wrote:
Without looking at the count I would think this is highly unlikely. I don't know that it has ever happened before.
However, being the newbie on the committee I don't know for certain... I will ask.
Just FYI, the answer I received was:
"I would propose that the Committee discuss it and come to some kind of consensus.
Off the top of my head, my opinion right now is we would enlarge the class to include those who tied for the #10 spot. But I could see where that might get us into murky waters. Electing 11 is one thing; I probably would not feel okay about it if it somehow got to be 12 or 13 or 14 (if that's even mathematically possible)."

This would be in keeping with precedent.
Last year we had a tie when winnowing down the list of nominees to twenty and so presented 21 finalists to the body at large.
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

We also seek input from members when considering such matters. What is your opinion, racepug, as to what we should do in that scenario?
racepug

Post by racepug »

Andy Piascik wrote:We also seek input from members when considering such matters. What is your opinion, racepug, as to what we should do in that scenario?
Oh, gosh - you're asking me? Actually, I think the answer given above is a good one: come to some sort of consensus and keep things within reason (as far as going over the allotted number of "10").
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Andy Piascik wrote:We also seek input from members when considering such matters. What is your opinion, racepug, as to what we should do in that scenario?
Yes, please, the HOVG committee is always welcome to feedback from PFRA members. Please let us know your thoughts.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

What about this year's HOVG nominations? When we can submit our 5 nominees?
1. Any current member of the PFRA may submit 5 names in nomination for the HoVG.
This usually happens in April or May.

2. Each Committee member (9) then ranks their top 20 choices of those nominated from 1 to 20. Points are awarded in inverse order. The top 20 vote getters are submitted to the organization as finalists for the HoVG. This is done shortly after the nomination period is closed.

3. The body politic of the PFRA votes, usually by Halloween (October 31st).
They do so by selecting exactly 10 of the 20 finalists for enshrinement into the HoVG.

4. All of those who appear on 55% of ballots are elected, up to a maximum of 10. The minimum is seven so seven are elected even if fewer than seven receive 55% (the next closest vote getters).

Slightly less enigmatic than the Eleusinian Mysteries...
Let the dithering begin!