Randall Cunningham, HOVG

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Eagles One

Randall Cunningham, HOVG

Post by Eagles One »

Pioneer of the hybrid quarterbacks. He led the Eagles a few years in rushing yards. Was actually out of football for a full season (1996) and two-years later with the Vikings, he produced the best year of his career.
Brian wolf

Re: Randall Cunningham, HOVG

Post by Brian wolf »

I think eventually, both Cunningham and McNabb will make HOVG if not HOF. Both were winners without many weapons on their offensive sides. Cunningham never had a great line in Philly and other than Quick or Barnett for awhile, with Carter making mostly endzone catches before being released, he mostly just had Jackson at TE or Byars to utilize.

McNabb, like Cunningham, had the defense but a better offensive line, but mostly just Westbrook at RB and some TEs that played beyond their ability. RB Staley helped for a few seasons but other than T.O for their SB season, mostly pedestrian receivers, yet still won 107 games and an NFC Championship in five such games.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:I think eventually, both Cunningham and McNabb will make HOVG if not HOF. Both were winners without many weapons on their offensive sides. Cunningham never had a great line in Philly and other than Quick or Barnett for awhile, with Carter making mostly endzone catches before being released, he mostly just had Jackson at TE or Byars to utilize.

McNabb, like Cunningham, had the defense but a better offensive line, but mostly just Westbrook at RB and some TEs that played beyond their ability. RB Staley helped for a few seasons but other than T.O for their SB season, mostly pedestrian receivers, yet still won 107 games and an NFC Championship in five such games.
You think McNabb will be inducted to Canton?
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:I think eventually, both Cunningham and McNabb will make HOVG if not HOF. Both were winners without many weapons on their offensive sides. Cunningham never had a great line in Philly and other than Quick or Barnett for awhile, with Carter making mostly endzone catches before being released, he mostly just had Jackson at TE or Byars to utilize.

You think McNabb will be inducted to Canton?

As an Eagles' fan, neither Cunningham or McNabb are HOF-worthy IMO. Both very good with times of greatness. Not consistently great.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

'Cunningham vs McNabb' would make for an excellent, debate-driven topic! And both should be in the HOVG! Maybe be inducted into the same class!

It's tough. Overall body-of-work-wise, I guess I'd have to go with Donovan! Randall two All-Pros but Donovan, despite none himself, having six Pro Bowls to his four! Winning many more playoff games, and playing in numerous CCs (a Super Bowl too), clearly doesn't hurt his case either! As for peak-performance? Randall's tour-de-force '98 season is better than any season that McNabb had; and his performance in the previous post-season was a nice foreshadowing of that. But whereas Donovan only ever had TO as a significant threat to throw to, #12 in 1998 had Cris Carter and Randy Moss and Jake Reed! Career-highlight-reel-wise, #12 may possibly be #1-of-All-Time! And why in the world wasn't he allowed to least try to be 2/3 the player Sammy Baugh was allowed to be and let him PUNT full-time?? Randall had the arm over McNabb! A rocket! And he never at all had quite the offensive-coordination in his favor while in Philly; was never able to properly develop thus his whole entire career being like '98!

#12 was tough but McNabb...man! He played hurt like nobody's business! Yet, the Philly-fans got so on him! Jaworski was tough as well (for starters, ask him if he ever met Lawrence Taylor)! Led Eagles to a SB as well (he deserves eternal love from that very City of Brotherly to this day), but despite Donovan garnering those extra playoff wins/CC-berths, and playing through serious pain, 6 Pro Bowls to Jaws' 1, it seems he unfairly isn't given the same historic kudos in that very City. Both Jaws and #12 get more of it to this day although Donovan was a better Eagles QB than both. But as already exemplified this very post, the argument between #12 and #5 could go either way. Both were different kinds of QBs. Both should be in the HOVG in either case!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Both could run as well and Cunningham was always the Eagles best RB till Walker came on the scene. Passing always helps judge a QB but when McNabb, McNair, Cunningham, Vick, Tarkenton, Wilson and even going back to the 50s with Tobin Rote, defenses didnt know what to do and had to more vigilant.

With their throwing and running ability during the 70s, Staubach and Bradshaw were the two best QBs but Bradshaw seems to be more forgotten or downplayed as time goes on ... a big mistake because I remember how he killed everybody.

Accuracy issues, lack of winning big games, crying to the media, whatever ... McNabb and Cunningham won with minimal talent around them and should be in the HOVG.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:'Cunningham vs McNabb' would make for an excellent, debate-driven topic! And both should be in the HOVG! Maybe be inducted into the same class!

It's tough. Overall body-of-work-wise, I guess I'd have to go with Donovan! Randall two All-Pros but Donovan, despite none himself, having six Pro Bowls to his four! Winning many more playoff games, and playing in numerous CCs (a Super Bowl too), clearly doesn't hurt his case either! As for peak-performance? Randall's tour-de-force '98 season is better than any season that McNabb had; and his performance in the previous post-season was a nice foreshadowing of that. But whereas Donovan only ever had TO as a significant threat to throw to, #12 in 1998 had Cris Carter and Randy Moss and Jake Reed! Career-highlight-reel-wise, #12 may possibly be #1-of-All-Time! And why in the world wasn't he allowed to least try to be 2/3 the player Sammy Baugh was allowed to be and let him PUNT full-time?? Randall had the arm over McNabb! A rocket! And he never at all had quite the offensive-coordination in his favor while in Philly; was never able to properly develop thus his whole entire career being like '98!

#12 was tough but McNabb...man! He played hurt like nobody's business! Yet, the Philly-fans got so on him! Jaworski was tough as well (for starters, ask him if he ever met Lawrence Taylor)! Led Eagles to a SB as well (he deserves eternal love from that very City of Brotherly to this day), but despite Donovan garnering those extra playoff wins/CC-berths, and playing through serious pain, 6 Pro Bowls to Jaws' 1, it seems he unfairly isn't given the same historic kudos in that very City. Both Jaws and #12 get more of it to this day although Donovan was a better Eagles QB than both. But as already exemplified this very post, the argument between #12 and #5 could go either way. Both were different kinds of QBs. Both should be in the HOVG in either case!

The issues with McNabb were he never once took responsibility when the offense struggled. It was either the offensive line's fault, the receiver's fault or the ref's fault. Also, he never in 10 years got over being booed at the draft by a handful of idiot fans which was orchestrated by a local nit-wit radio sports personality. Also, the then-Mayor Rendell was a part of that group. They did not speak for the overall majority of the fanbase. McNabb lacked the leadership skills to be a better quarterback than he was. He was a very good quarterback, with times of greatness, but not enough greatness. Also, they would not have reached the Super Bowl without Terrell Owens help. They were 0-3 prior to then. McNabb is arguably the best quarterback the Eagles ever had (I personally think it was Van Brocklin) but then again the Eagles do not have a history of great quarterbacks.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Brocklin and HC Shaw turned them around in two seasons with a championship but only because the Colts faltered at the end of the 60 season, with the Pack taking the western division.

I felt Tommy Thompson was their first good-to-great QB who should also be in the HOVG ...

Yes, McNabb cried to the media, Cunningham as well but to win 107 games with his cast of receivers and running backs was an achievement in itself. I used to always wonder why Brian Mitchell didnt run the ball more because I felt he was as good as anyone they had but Westbrook. Reid as HC was good at spreading the ball around, especially to the TEs but their receivers were never consistent and injury prone. The defense deserves alot of credit as well but McNabb won alot.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You may know better than me Eagle One, but didnt McNabb win the third most games between 2000-2009, as a QB behind only Manning and Brady ?

Being a Cowboy fan at that time, it was frustrating watching the Eagles shove us aside for the division time and time again, while many people believe Romo should get in the HOF ... whatever
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Brian wolf wrote:You may know better than me Eagle One, but didnt McNabb win the third most games between 2000-2009, as a QB behind only Manning and Brady ?

Being a Cowboy fan at that time, it was frustrating watching the Eagles shove us aside for the division time and time again, while many people believe Romo should get in the HOF ... whatever

Not sure how this evolved into a McNabb post when I was focussing on Cunningham. Two different quarterbacks in two different eras. Yes, McNabb won a ton of games. It was a great era except for the disappointment of not winning a title. The issue with McNabb is he was a me- guy and never took responsibility for when they played bad. He lacked leadership skills to be an even better quarterback than he was. He is good enough for the HOVG but no to Canton. Cunningham was more disadvantaged because he had a coach who was only concerned about the defense. At least Reid tried.