The TB Buccaneer Defense from 1997 - 2007

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

The TB Buccaneer Defense from 1997 - 2007

Post by Brian wolf »

With the modern finalists announced for possible induction into the HOF Class of 2021, its time to focus on two teammates who could be voted in ...

Ronde Barber and John Lynch.

Lynch has waited patienty, being a former finalist with bites at the apple, while Barber becomes a first-time finalist.
Both are deserving and Lynch might be finally voted in, which would be appropriate considering SB weekend is in TB but it would put focus on another subject ...
Just how good was that Buccaneer defense with Lynch and Barber ?

This defense helped the Bucs win one championship, yet four members could be elected to the HOF, with Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks, already elected.

Left out of the discussion of course, is MLB Hardy Nickerson, who left for free agency before the team won its championship but was outstanding. Did a slow start with the Steelers or free agency with Jacksonville, torpedo his chances ? Or did Brooks and Sapp overshadow his play ?

The Bucs had another good, tough player in CB Donnie Abraham, who had an above average career and left for free agency as well, helping Barber become a great player.

Then there is Simeon Rice, an excellent pass rusher who was a semifinalist last year. He wasnt nearly the player in Arizona before joining the Bucs. Will he get elected in the future ?

Had this team won two or three championships, I would say yes, even perhaps to Rice and Nickerson but they didnt, despite this accoladed defense.

Meanwhile, the Bill Arnsparger defense from the no-name years of Miami, that went to three consecutive SBs, has just ONE member elected ... Buoniconti. The skill positions on their offense, including Griese, Warfield and Czonka overcrowd perhaps teammates like Scott, Anderson and Kuechenberg from possibly getting voted in.

The Bucs had RBs, Dunn and Alstott on offense and that was pretty much it.

With Zack Thomas also on the ballot, he could join teammate, Jason Taylor in the HOF ... one more Dolphin than the team from the 70s.

Without the championships of course ...
Brian wolf

Re: The TB Buccaneer Defense from 1997 - 2007

Post by Brian wolf »

With Lynch in, now three Bucs defenders from a one time champion or could Lynch's election forshadow a Bucs victory tomorrow ?
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

The 1985 Bears has 3 defensive players enshrined as well.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its certainly weird and disappointing all the HOF Bears on a one time champion ...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

The 1969 KC Chiefs, Super Bowl IV Champs, have 6 players on defense in the PFHOF. That is the most by a single defensive unit in history.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

Threepeat Packers have 6 as well.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With John Lynch elected to the Class Of 2021, it was interesting to speculate what might happen in 2022, as Simeon Rice, Hardy Nickerson and Ronde Barber made the HOF preliminary list. Only Barber made it to the Semifinalist list announced today and could the voters elect him to the Class Of 2022 after Lynch made it last year ?
Though DeMarcus Ware might get in as the only 1st year eligible, if the voting committee wanted to truly clear the queue, Barber would be a good option, with this heralded but only one championship defense, having already three members ...
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

Simeon Rice wasn't a semifinalist this year. IMO he's more deserving of the HOF than Lynch.

I think Rice makes the semis next year but this really makes me worry about his chances because quite a few candidates were put over him who I do not believe are going to make the HOF. I think Barber gets in either this year or next year probably next year as this years a little too competitve IMO. I'm more concerned about Rice, Barber is almost inevitable at this point.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good calls Zero26 but Rice has an uphill climb with pass rushers Ware, Allen, Mathis and soon Freeney and Peppers coming up ... Suggs will get alot of attention as well with his ability to have many run-stuffs, tackles as well as sacks.

Lets say Barber gets in and now theyre four defenders from that great defense ... does Rice get left out like Nickerson ?
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Yeah, I feel like Rice could get quickly overwhelmed with the influx of more highly regarded pass rushers coming onto the ballot. I certainly wouldn't mind him getting elected though.