Worst player in HOVG? Best player not in?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Worst player in HOVG? Best player not in?

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I get it - HaHa. I'm not on any social media except here and a couple sports cards/memorabilia collector boards, but I guess I've also commented on some blogs without an account - PFJ still allows direct comments.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yeah, I comment on PFJ alot. Me and John have some good arguments and the other guys have great articles as well. I wish Coach Troup would comment on here more ...
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Brian wolf wrote:With all these excellent recent comments, just wanted to give my thoughts on players I believe deserve to be in the HOVG ... Theyre so close that there is no particular order and most if not all, have HOF cases. Some were extremely underrated and didnt get the accolades they deserved. Hopefully, these players will be selected sooner rather than later ...

My Top 20 Most Deserving Of Election To The HOVG

George Andrie
Mike Kenn
Phil Simms
Tony Latone
James Brooks
Larry Brooks
Russ Washington
Leon Gray
Herschel Walker
Mark Bavaro
Carroll Dale
Gary Clark
Don Doll
Wilbur Marshall
John David Crow
Cedrick Hardman
Dennis Smith
Wes Chandler
Abe Woodson
HughTaylor/Henry Thomas
I honestly thought John David Crow was in the Hall of Fame.

I would put a lot of these guys near my top as well -- Wilbur Marshall is HOF material IMO and Gary Clark is a borderline HOF. I know he probably doesn't have the so-called stats being opposite Monk, but Clark was so good in the second half, especially on 3rd down plays....at least from what I remember.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Well, this is an old thread. I stand by Jack Kemp, who can be found right near the bottom of pretty much every classic QB stat board among passers with enough career games started to qualify. Speaking of guys named Sim(m)s, Phil might be an even more obvious inclusion case than Billy, so many thanks to those who brought him up.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Herschel Walker is not yet eligible for the HOVG.

I am honestly surprised that Simms, Joe Theismann are not in the HOVG. Being they are QBs, I can understand it being difficult to earning election.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Youre right sluggermatt15 ...

Walker will enter the dreaded senior abyss next year if he doesnt make progress in his final season of modern eligibility ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thiesmann and Frank Ryan are very close for me but I stand by Tommy Thompson and Phil Simms being in the HOVG.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:@Brian Wolf, that looks like a good list. My personal preference is that the HOVG prioritize early players though, which hasn't happened, because, well, certainly no one else will - there's discussion of modern players on pretty much every football board.

@Zero26 - thanks for the reply - another good read. You make a good case for Carter and Smith. I'll add them as '30s second teamers. As far as Hewitt, I think his case for first team is pretty solid on the basis of being very well known for defense - he's actually the player Bob Carroll joked about having more unofficial sacks than Deacon Jones. I think I read his nickname was "offsides kid" or something like that, but early off the ball or not, I think he was pretty impactful.

What do you think about '30s 2nd team Center and Guard? The HOF has:
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 9.02.22 AM.png
I've always felt Goldenberg was a stretch and Letlow a really uninformed choice. I have Michaleske, Emerson, and Fortmann, but no 4th which would be needed for a full 2nd team. Who would your 4th be?

At Center, I don't think anyone questions Hein, but I always felt Svendsen to be a rather odd choice. I left out a 2nd team center. Who would yours be? I've considered this guy;

https://archive.jsonline.com/sports/pac ... 5551.html/

Thanks!
Well I think Hewitt is there primarily as a receiver. While his stats were lopsided in a Gary Collinish way he had the most receiving touchdowns of his era and I can see scoring mattering the most when receivers were barely touching the ball.

Offensive line numbers are harder to check with stats(beyond assessing the running games performance) and we're left trusting all pro teams a lot more.

By this logic the second center should be Frank Baush who was 1st or 2nd team all pro team 3 times on 2 different teams. He was an honorable mention 3 more times. The voters might have been judging him through the eye test but if they were it was contradictory to the what the media thought at the time he played. It's odd though his only pro selection was in the 40s and he was only an honorable mention twice.

My fourth guard would be Kopcha for the Bears. He was an all first team all pro 3 years in a row and then an honorable mention the other 2 years of his career in the 30s. This included an 1000 yars rushing season by Feathers when that was a historic feat.

It certainly feels like whoever was deciding these all decade teams REALLY liked the Green Bay Packers offensive line. 1 short of an all pro player for each spot.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats why I am hoping that Porter with the PFHOF can gauge the voters-committees again and possibly continue the two seniors yearly, election process by 2025. Lewellen and Dilweg deserve their chances at election and how in the world can the first player to score 50 TDs, with another player not joining him till nearly ten years later, not make the HOF from the beginning ?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks @Zero26. I updated it in the other thread. I didn't leave out any HOFers - my intention wasn't to be controversial or anything - I just wanted to attempt to recognize the right players. Do you have any quibbles with it:

https://www.profootballresearchers.org/ ... 1d4#p43579