Dick Vermeil HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
rewing84

Re: Dick Vermeil HOVG?

Post by rewing84 »

Why do you have to be such a stickler rupert
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Bryan wrote:I loved Dick Vermeil so I am biased, but I would vote for Vermeil before I would vote for Dan Reeves. Vermeil could always put together an offense regardless of personnel. Reeves kind of lucked out in that he took over a team that had some good players and then John Elway fell into his lap...he basically traded Chris Hinton for 3 Super Bowl appearances. Vermeil got big years out of Ron Jaworski, Kurt Warner & Trent Green.
Reeves is a weird case. 190 wins is tremendous, but the winning percentage isn't all that special. 4 Super Bowl appearances is tremendoujs. He took 3 different teams to the playoffs like Vermeil as well.

He did go 0-4 in those games. But 3 of the 4 were against big-time well oiled juggernauts. The 1987 Redskins...you just can't let Doug Williams and Timmy Smith tear you apart like that. Those teams were very evenly matched talent wise actually

Though it was Reeves at the helm in 1998 when the mighty Vikings went down in the title game. And does his playing career give him a slight boost for the HOF. He wasn't a great player...had two good years. Won a Super Bowl. Played in the Ice Bowl.

I'm surprised he didn't get one last coaching job after being fired in Atlanta at the age of 59. He was interested in continuing somewhere but nothing ever seemed to come together. I also wish he didn't give in and stop wearing the suits.
JWL

Post by JWL »

sheajets wrote:
Bryan wrote:I'm surprised he didn't get one last coaching job after being fired in Atlanta at the age of 59. He was interested in continuing somewhere but nothing ever seemed to come together. I also wish he didn't give in and stop wearing the suits.
If the Chargers hired him as opposed to Norv Turner, they may have won a Super Bowl.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JWL wrote:
sheajets wrote:
Bryan wrote:I'm surprised he didn't get one last coaching job after being fired in Atlanta at the age of 59. He was interested in continuing somewhere but nothing ever seemed to come together. I also wish he didn't give in and stop wearing the suits.
If the Chargers hired him as opposed to Norv Turner, they may have won a Super Bowl.
Oh definitely. I mean I still can't believe we beat them in that playoff game on the road with Sanchez when they were 13-3. Norv definitely helped. Probably not the case with Reeves at the helm.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

sheajets wrote:And does his playing career give him a slight boost for the HOF. He wasn't a great player...had two good years. Won a Super Bowl. Played in the Ice Bowl.
Even as a player, Reeves was costing his team Super Bowls...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its cool how passionate NFL fans and historians, hold the same opinions and verbiage, years later ... a much discussed thread
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Congratulations to Vermeil and Eagles/Rams/Chiefs fans.