Earl Faison HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Earl Faison HOVG?

Post by JohnTurney »

Been voting for Faison every year...think maybe it's his "turn". A few of the best DL of AFL had short careers, Sestak, Faison, Tombstone . . . Ike Lassiter...
JeffreyMiller

Re: Earl Faison HOVG?

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I'd vote for him.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

How does Faison compare to the recently-inducted Jim Katcavage (or George Andrie & LC Greenwood)?
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I'd vote for him also, and would even consider voting for him for the PFHoF. He played six seasons and has honors of 4/5/none. No idea why he didn't make the all-AFL team.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote:How does Faison compare to the recently-inducted Jim Katcavage (or George Andrie & LC Greenwood)?
I think he's right there with them. I've seen quite a lot of his film, even stood up as a rusher backer for Chargers at times...was a dominant physical guy. Sometimes looked to loaf, though. Hurt his back and that limited him and had to retire.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Was Earl Faison and Eugene Lipscomb the same type of players ? Dominant but took alot of plays off ?
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Faison is a 2021 Finalist! :D
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Meaning he will be elected or part of a smaller group for vote ? I am new and not aware of how the voting process works yet ... Thanks
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote:Meaning he will be elected or part of a smaller group for vote ? I am new and not aware of how the voting process works yet ... Thanks
http://www.profootballresearchers.com/f ... f=8&t=6122
JuggernautJ wrote:The Process for HoVG Selection:
1. Any current member of the PFRA may submit 5 names in nomination for the HoVG.
This usually happens in April or May.

2. Each Committee member (9) then ranks their top 20 choices of those nominated from 1 to 20. Points are awarded in inverse order. The top 20 vote getters are submitted to the organization as finalists for the HoVG. This is done shortly after the nomination period is closed.

3. The body politic of the PFRA votes, usually by Halloween (October 31st).
They do so by selecting exactly 10 of the 20 finalists for enshrinement into the HoVG.

4. All of those who appear on 55% of ballots are elected, up to a maximum of 10. The minimum is seven so seven are elected even if fewer than seven receive 55% (the next closest vote getters).
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Earl Faison played six seasons in the American Football League (1961-1966) with San Diego (1961-1966) and the Miami Dolphins (1966). He was consensus AFL Rookie of the Year in 1961, was a five-time Pro Bowler, and was named all-pro four times. He played on the 1963 AFL champion Chargers. During his short career, Faison ranked 19th in sacks (sack counts before 1982 are unofficial).
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium