Steve Smith's HOF chances

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Bryan

Steve Smith's HOF chances

Post by Bryan »

I think Smith is borderline. I really liked him as a player...a tough guy who could catch passes over the middle and also make an occasional big play. Was he elite? Not in my opinion. His numbers are similar to Isaac Bruce's...Bruce played in an earlier era, but also benefited from playing in the Rams passing offense. I think the best comps to Smith are Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne. I think Smith was "better" than Wayne, but Wayne put up more consistent numbers (albeit with better QBs). I think Andre Johnson was an elite WR from a period of time, but his career is more up-and-down.
JeffreyMiller

Re: Steve Smith's HOF chances

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Lock.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Here is a relevant article on the recent WR generation:

https://theringer.com/nfl-receiver-gene ... .x49u9powm

I thought it was an interesting article. I agree with the conclusion that Calvin Johnson was the best and Larry Fitzgerald was a level above, then you have Smith and then Andre Johnson. Bruce/Holt/Wayne are somewhat products of their environment. But the author doesn't ever answer the HOF question. I think Calvin Johnson and Fitzgerald are locks. The others are all borderline, with Smith having the best argument.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

My guess is that Steve Smith gets elected well along in his candidacy, with a chance he falls to Senior status. He's an "in the queue" type and will probably have to take his turn behind Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Hines Ward, Calvin Johnson, and Andre Johnson, likely in that order. Am assuming Terrell Owens and Randy Moss are in by the time he's eligible. Not sure if Larry Fitzgerald jumps the line, but he might.

Given that he's currently 12th all time in catches, 26th all time in receiving TDs, and his yards per catch is 14.3 (not in the top 250 all time), am thinking that's about right.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

Bryan wrote:Here is a relevant article on the recent WR generation:

https://theringer.com/nfl-receiver-gene ... .x49u9powm

I thought it was an interesting article. I agree with the conclusion that Calvin Johnson was the best and Larry Fitzgerald was a level above, then you have Smith and then Andre Johnson. Bruce/Holt/Wayne are somewhat products of their environment. But the author doesn't ever answer the HOF question. I think Calvin Johnson and Fitzgerald are locks. The others are all borderline, with Smith having the best argument.
Good article, but I don't think the HOF voters will underestimate the power of the postseason, along with the uniqueness of a given candidate. Steve Smith will eventually get in, being a small receiver will help, and he had a key role in the 2003 Carolina super bowl run. Also played with so-so quarterbacking, and that will be in the discussion as well. Fitzgerald is showing his willingness to block at an advanced age, and that will add to his strong case as well. Johnson's production with poor quarterbacking and a newer franchise will earn him induction, too.

Calvin Johnson's early exit from the game may hurt him with some, but others will likely retire early because of future health concerns. He'll get in later, along with Hines Ward, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, and Bruce/Holt/Wayne.

I'm of the view the individual numbers won't have quite the impact as the NFL continues to make passing easier with each decade. HOF voters will look at other factors, and that's actually a good thing.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are "for sure" HoFers, IMO.

Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin are very, very good players. HoF worthy? Maybe, but I do not know. I don't see these guys on the same level as the two above.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Smith is a borderline candidate who was a complete dick. I suspect he gets in when Tags gets in -- after he dies, or after there is a near-complete turnover in the HoF selection committee.

My concern with him as a player is that he's mostly absent from end-of-season leaderboards. He had that one big season where he led the league in receptions, yards, and tds, but other than that, it's pretty "meh". Compare that to Torry Holt, who does far better by that metric than most of those other guys, but who I think is probably behind Johnson, Johnson, Fitzgerald, and Bruce. (I'm not sure Wayne belongs in the discussion at all.)
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Smith is a borderline candidate who was a complete dick. I suspect he gets in when Tags gets in -- after he dies, or after there is a near-complete turnover in the HoF selection committee.

My concern with him as a player is that he's mostly absent from end-of-season leaderboards. He had that one big season where he led the league in receptions, yards, and tds, but other than that, it's pretty "meh". Compare that to Torry Holt, who does far better by that metric than most of those other guys, but who I think is probably behind Johnson, Johnson, Fitzgerald, and Bruce. (I'm not sure Wayne belongs in the discussion at all.)
I agree with you. Players for the HoF have to differentiate themselves from the rest of the league. When a guy isn't at or near the top in stats, championships, highlight reel plays, how can they be considered among the best ever? It's a difficult argument, IMO.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

There was once a hockey player named Pat Verbeek who was nicknamed "The Little Ball of Hate". To me Smith is similar. Small, powerful, annoying pest of a player. Three great seasons and the rest are just good to very good. But the volume of his compiling is so much that it's going to be hard to keep him out. Not a Hall of Famer in my eyes but he'll probably get in.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »