2023 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Re: 2023 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Post by JuggernautJ »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:Matt informed me that someone beat me to nominating Faison and Powell. When I get home from work I've got to take a look at my "should be in the HOVG" list and pick two replacements. :D
@JuggernautJ, I know it hasn't even been a month yet, but would you be able to post a nomination list?

I was trying to put my 5 together and was wondering if anyone nominated George Christensen yet? Players like him, Faison, and others who have been finalists several years in a row probably get nominated pretty quick... Not trying to make extra work for you, but its helpful to know which players don't need a nomination from me because they already have one. Thanks.
Hey T&S,
Apologies for taking a while to get back to you.
I was discussing the above with the "powers that be" on the HoVG Committee and we've decided not to change the procedure in the middle of the process; that might be (perceived of as) unfair to those who have already made their submissions.
For now we're going to stick with the "submit 5 nominees and if one is taken we'll get back to you" approach.
That will be extra work for Matt but he is willing to shoulder the burden.

However, the HoVG committee is always willing and eager to entertain suggestions.
We won't be changing the process this year but would appreciate any ideas that might help us streamline and improve the HoVG system.
I can't guarantee we'll respond to every suggestion (though we'll try that might take a while) or accept every amendment but I can assure you that every suggestion will be discussed and considered.

Lastly, I can't tell you who has or hasn't already been nominated... I am not privy to that information.

All the best,

J.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The only suggestion I would make to our process, and I brought this up during the business meeting at the 2018 Buffalo convention, is that once the ballot of 20 is finalized, I would drop the requirement that voters MUST vote for 10 nominees. I think that should be changed to: ...no more than 10 nominees. That way if a voter genuinely feels that there are less than 10 worthy candidates on the ballot, they aren't forced to select more to get up to the requirement of 10.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

ChrisBabcock wrote:The only suggestion I would make to our process, and I brought this up during the business meeting at the 2018 Buffalo convention, is that once the ballot of 20 is finalized, I would drop the requirement that voters MUST vote for 10 nominees. I think that should be changed to: ...no more than 10 nominees. That way if a voter genuinely feels that there are less than 10 worthy candidates on the ballot, they aren't forced to select more to get up to the requirement of 10.
I think this makes total sense. I know there are some members who refuse to vote at all because they can't agree on 10.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JuggernautJ wrote: Hey T&S,
I was discussing the above with the "powers that be" on the HoVG Committee and we've decided not to change the procedure in the middle of the process
No problem - I get it. I actually wasn't trying to change the process. Just from experience I nominated Latone and Christensen a lot and always wound up replacing them.
JuggernautJ wrote: Lastly, I can't tell you who has or hasn't already been nominated... I am not privy to that information.
I see now. In my brain I recalled

sluggermatt15@yahoo.com
JuggernautJ

and thought it was your email - if you say "sluggermatt" and "Juggernaut", they sound a little similar and are about the same length. I'm glad I asked because I do have your email in my contacts and I probably would have erroneously emailed you my nominations :)
JuggernautJ wrote:However, the HoVG committee is always willing and eager to entertain suggestions.
My only suggestion (and I already brought this up with Andy a few years ago) would be to have a separate super senior category and vote to guarantee the selection of one player who played most of his career prior to WW2 (I'd probably use 1940 as a cutoff actually to make it decade related number). I would say just do it every other year, but there are a lot of good candidates from that period and voting indicates peo[ple don't like to vote for players they never saw play. Also, typically such nominations don't make it past the regular committee. If it wasn't for Bob Carroll picking out of a hat, I think we'd have very few pre war players in the HOVG. Since I've been a member we've only added Ted Nesser and Tony Latone. Thanks.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote: Hey T&S,
I was discussing the above with the "powers that be" on the HoVG Committee and we've decided not to change the procedure in the middle of the process
No problem - I get it. I actually wasn't trying to change the process. Just from experience I nominated Latone and Christensen a lot and always wound up replacing them.
JuggernautJ wrote: Lastly, I can't tell you who has or hasn't already been nominated... I am not privy to that information.
I see now. In my brain I recalled

sluggermatt15@yahoo.com
JuggernautJ

and thought it was your email - if you say "sluggermatt" and "Juggernaut", they sound a little similar and are about the same length. I'm glad I asked because I do have your email in my contacts and I probably would have erroneously emailed you my nominations :)
JuggernautJ wrote:However, the HoVG committee is always willing and eager to entertain suggestions.
My only suggestion (and I already brought this up with Andy a few years ago) would be to have a separate super senior category and vote to guarantee the selection of one player who played most of his career prior to WW2 (I'd probably use 1940 as a cutoff actually to make it decade related number). I would say just do it every other year, but there are a lot of good candidates from that period and voting indicates peo[ple don't like to vote for players they never saw play. Also, typically such nominations don't make it past the regular committee. If it wasn't for Bob Carroll picking out of a hat, I think we'd have very few pre war players in the HOVG. Since I've been a member we've only added Ted Nesser and Tony Latone. Thanks.
Last year we had record voter turnout. I think you need to convince your peers that your choices of pre-war players belong.
TanksAndSpartans

sluggermatt15 wrote:Last year we had record voter turnout. I think you need to convince your peers that your choices of pre-war players belong.
Let's agree to disagree on this one. I post on the board a fair amount and I write articles for CC - one hopefully coming out soon that includes an All-Era team, but I'm just one person. The reason pre-war players aren't getting in (they get in, but 2 over a 15 year period is a pretty slow clip) isn't because I'm not doing enough.
TanksAndSpartans

June 30 deadline? That's right around the corner now. So far I narrowed down to 5 backs and 5 lineman:

Backs
John Gammons
Ed Young
Jack McBride
Wallace “Doc” Elliott
Norb Sacksteder

Linemen
George Christensen
Jim McMillen
Gus Sonnenberg
Herman Kerkhoff
Bob Shiring
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:June 30 deadline? That's right around the corner now. So far I narrowed down to 5 backs and 5 lineman:

Backs
John Gammons
Ed Young
Jack McBride
Wallace “Doc” Elliott
Norb Sacksteder

Linemen
George Christensen
Jim McMillen
Gus Sonnenberg
Herman Kerkhoff
Bob Shiring

Yes, June 30 is the deadline to submit nominees. Please e-mail them to me at sluggermatt15@yahoo.com.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Last year we had record voter turnout. I think you need to convince your peers that your choices of pre-war players belong.
Let's agree to disagree on this one. I post on the board a fair amount and I write articles for CC - one hopefully coming out soon that includes an All-Era team, but I'm just one person. The reason pre-war players aren't getting in (they get in, but 2 over a 15 year period is a pretty slow clip) isn't because I'm not doing enough.
Thank you for everything you do for the board. I agree it takes more than one person to spread the word.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Marvin Powell
George Andrie
Ray Childress
Gill Byrd
Ahman Green