Freeman McNeil - HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
sheajets

Freeman McNeil - HOVG?

Post by sheajets »

Bit of a homer pick of course. He was a quality all purpose back who lasted well into his 30s, but frequent injuries robbing him of games most years I feel really robbed him of putting up numbers that would jump off the page. And of course he was overshadowed in that era by some flashier winners (Roger Craig) as well as all time greats like Dickerson and Walter Payton.

But when he played, no doubt about it he was good, and sometimes very good and an integral part of whatever success the Jets had between 1981-1992 (an extremely up and down period for the team)

3x Pro Bowler and made All Pro once

Only two 1,000 yard seasons, and even those were hampered a bit by injuries. 1,070 yards in 1984 despite missing four games. 1,300 yards in 1985 while missing two games. Those were shaping up to be back to back 1,500 yard years. 83, 86, 87 would've all been 1,000 yard seasons I feel had he not missed games. 1982 he led the league in rushing during that 9 game campaign. Was also a good receiver out of the backfield catching 295 passes for just under 3,000 yards.

Finished his career with an impressive 11,000+ yards from scrimmage as well as a very good 4.5 yards per carry
JeffreyMiller

Re: Freeman McNeil - HOVG?

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I'd support McNeil
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Good RB, but I think his contemporaries William Andrews and Billy Sims should get before McNeil.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I like McNeil too but got nicked up alot ... might have had more yards if the team wasnt so committee oriented but that was part of their offense.

I would put Sims, Andrews and Brooks ahead of him though.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:I like McNeil too but got nicked up alot ... might have had more yards if the team wasnt so committee oriented but that was part of their offense.

I would put Sims, Andrews and Brooks ahead of him though.

My order would be Brooks Sims Andrews McNeil
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

No argument there. Andrews and Sims were both better than McNeil though did not have the longevity. Brooks and McNeil I would say are about even
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Andrews, Sims, Brooks, McNeil...

What about Curt Warner, Gerald Riggs, and Joe Morris?

Craig got in last year, maybe we can get another '80s back in this year. I used my 5 nominations elsewhere, but still time to submit today.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Thinking back to Brooks...I totally forgot how much quality football he put in north of 29 years old. 3,000+ yards on the ground and a good amount of catches and receiving yards in 1988 and later.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Riggs had a spectacular 4 year window there between 1984 and 1987. The first three years of that speak for themselves, and the 1987 season would've been an easy 1,000+ (would've prob topped 1k in 89 as well) but I just feel like he's a bit lacking in terms of how long he was able to play his best football (also wasn't much of a receiver out of the backfield)
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

sheajets wrote:Riggs had a spectacular 4 year window there between 1984 and 1987. The first three years of that speak for themselves, and the 1987 season would've been an easy 1,000+ (would've prob topped 1k in 89 as well) but I just feel like he's a bit lacking in terms of how long he was able to play his best football (also wasn't much of a receiver out of the backfield)
What do think about Warner? He really impressed me as a rookie. Not sure he was the same after the injury, but put up a few more good seasons statistically.