Bryant Young HoF

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Andy Piascik

Re: Bryant Young HoF

Post by Andy Piascik »

I don't think Young belongs anywhere near the Hall of Fame. His candidacy is yet one more example of the Selection Committee being overly enamored of the all-decade teams, as Young was named second team on the 1990s squad. What makes it worse is that he didn't deserve it, Michael Dean Perry did. Just check and compare what they did in the 1990s.

There are dozens of players more deserving than Young including any number of defensive linemen. If he's elected, it lowers the bar that much more.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Andy Piascik wrote:I don't think Young belongs anywhere near the Hall of Fame. His candidacy is yet one more example of the Selection Committee being overly enamored of the all-decade teams, as Young was named second team on the 1990s squad. What makes it worse is that he didn't deserve it, Michael Dean Perry did. Just check and compare what they did in the 1990s.

There are dozens of players more deserving than Young including any number of defensive linemen. If he's elected, it lowers the bar that much more.

in your opinion which D Linemen are more deserving im curious?
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

Definitely Richard Seymour and Michael Dean Perry. I don't support Neil Smith or Ray Childress for the HOF but I would rate both higher than Young. And though it's comparing apples and oranges because they're Seniors, I think Gene Brito, Jim Katcavage and Bill Stanfill rate higher than Young, though none should be in the Hall of Fame. Maybe a few others.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

You have me sold on Michael Dean Perry Andy
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I believe Brito and Katcavage should be in the HOF ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:I believe Brito and Katcavage should be in the HOF ...
which one do you like more Katcavage or Brito Brian im more of a JIm Katcavage Fan based on longevity
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I like both but Brito was all the Redskins had, while Katcavage started out playing on a Giants All-Star defense. Brito started out as a receiver before being a star at DE as soon as he changed positions.
Only the guys at Pro Football Journal know whether Brito could stand up against the run but Turney and company suggested that Brito had great quickness and a spin move that sounds like a 1950s version of Dwight Freeney to me. I wonder what Coach TJ Troup thinks of him ?
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Very Valid Point about Brito Brian
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Who will win the SB, Robert ?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Andy Piascik wrote:I don't think Young belongs anywhere near the Hall of Fame. His candidacy is yet one more example of the Selection Committee being overly enamored of the all-decade teams, as Young was named second team on the 1990s squad. What makes it worse is that he didn't deserve it, Michael Dean Perry did. Just check and compare what they did in the 1990s.
The all-decade teams are more trouble than they are worth. I used to think they were interesting because some decades had very odd choices for "all-decade" honors, but it seems like now they have become an almost irrefutable argument for enshrinement in the HOF. It's almost like the voters are too lazy to actually do a comparative analysis of a player's career, and instead they fall back on "all decade" crap. First, the all-decade selections themselves are questionable. Second, the idea of "all-decade" is a completely arbitrary timeframe. I remember media people mentioning this when Drew Pearson was up for enshrinement; it was like "Pearson is the only guy on the 1970's all-decade team who isn't in Canton"...who cares? How is that even a salient point?