List of Historical Newspapers Online

mwald

List of Historical Newspapers Online

Post by mwald »

For anyone who is interested here is the link to the Penn Libraries list of historical newspapers online. They changed the format, it's not as well organized as before but everything appears to be there.

http://viewshare.org/views/refhelp/hist ... ine-usa-2/

The old forum had a Research Materials section. This one doesn't so I put it under Books.
mwald

Re: List of Historical Newspapers Online

Post by mwald »

Does anyone know if historical archives (years 1940-1980) of the Detroit Free Press and Philadelphia Evening News are available anywhere other than Detroit and Philadelphia area libraries or the Library of Congress?

Looking for an online source but don't think they exist.
Apbaball

Post by Apbaball »

Lately, googlesnewspaperarchives.com has been difficult to navigate. It keeps freezing on me after I zoom in to read and article. if anyone has found a way to avoid that, let me know.

I may have to go to a paid archive subscription. Recommendations?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Apbaball wrote:Lately, googlesnewspaperarchives.com has been difficult to navigate. It keeps freezing on me after I zoom in to read and article. if anyone has found a way to avoid that, let me know.

Newspapers.com seems to be the one that is picking up the best selection of papers. I would recommend a one-month subscription to try it out.

www.newspapers.com
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Apbaball wrote:Lately, googlesnewspaperarchives.com has been difficult to navigate. It keeps freezing on me after I zoom in to read and article. if anyone has found a way to avoid that, let me know.

Last couple weeks have had the same problem with google newspaper archives. Once I zoom it the 'paper' will go white so then I refresh and I have to go through steps to confirm I'm human ("click all the pictures of sidewalks"). Then it'll work for a couple pages I check out then repeat. Incredibly annoying.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Newspapers.com seems to be the one that is picking up the best selection of papers. I would recommend a one-month subscription to try it out.

http://www.newspapers.com
"Newspapers" is really weak when it comes to their WA collection, which is what I'm interested in. I pulled all the information that interests me from all their WA papers in the span of the free week trial.

Which is what I recommend, you can use it for a week for free. If they had more I'd just subscribe but every handful of months I check back and my account has the free week trial option back and I sign up for it again and there's never any new WA newspapers -- or years added to the papers they do have.
Apbaball

Post by Apbaball »

Reaser wrote:

Last couple weeks have had the same problem with google newspaper archives. Once I zoom it the 'paper' will go white so then I refresh and I have to go through steps to confirm I'm human ("click all the pictures of sidewalks"). Then it'll work for a couple pages I check out then repeat. Incredibly annoying.
Yes, this is very frustrating. I can read one article at a time but cannot move to the next page. I have tried both the Chrome and Edge browsers as well.

I was hoping there was someone I could report this issue to, but I don't think there is much support for these archives anymore. I know they aren't adding to their content but I don't think they want what is there to be functional. At this point, the archives are not functional.
Apbaball

Post by Apbaball »

Reaser wrote:

I seem to be having better luck reading it on my iPad using Safari.
dfen

Post by dfen »

try this, organized by states, click on newspaper links, http://www.theancestorhunt.com/
JasonCulley

Post by JasonCulley »

Are there any newspapers online that allow you to click on specific dates in the past. Looking in particular for Raiders articles so Northern California would be ideal but Southern California would be okay too. Thanks!