Books about team relocations, Tex Schramm and Pete Rozelle

Jamie Johnson

Books about team relocations, Tex Schramm and Pete Rozelle

Post by Jamie Johnson »

I have always enjoyed books about the business side of sports, influential coaches, executives and owners. So, I was wondering if there are any books about the following:

The Colts move to Indianapolis. A book that gives the details of Robert Irsay's flirtations with Jacksonville, Phoenix and other cities, those cities offers to lure the Colts and Baltimore's negotiations with Irsay. Generally, a detailed look at the circumstances that led to the Colts departure from Baltimore. I read a book that was published in 1997 or 1998 about the Browns move to Baltimore and am looking for something similar regarding the Colts.

Tex Schramm. There was a biography in the 1980's before Jerry Jones arrived, but is there something more recent about Schramm?

I have looked on Amazon and could find only one book on Pete Rozelle, which received poor reviews. Is there anything else on Rozelle?
Reaser

Re: Books about team relocations, Tex Schramm and Pete Rozel

Post by Reaser »

Jamie Johnson wrote:I have looked on Amazon and could find only one book on Pete Rozelle, which received poor reviews. Is there anything else on Rozelle?
"Rozelle, A biography" by Jerry Izenberg is probably the one you're looking for. Assuming "Commissioner: The Legacy of Pete Rozelle" is the poor review you saw.
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

Long-time Baltimore sportswriter John Steadman wrote at some length about the Colts' move out of Baltimore in "From Colts to Ravens" (1997). A Dallas sportswriter named Bob St. John wrote a book about Schramm in 2006, "Never Just a Game." The book you mention about the Browns' move to Baltimore is probably "Glory for Sale" by Jon Morgan. If that's not the one you mean, I highly recommend it. As I recall, Morgan also deals a little with the Colts' move.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

For Pete Rozelle there is Jeff Davis's 2008 biography: Rozelle Czar of the NFL.

I have a 1988 book by Bob St. John: Tex! The Man Who Built The Dallas Cowboys.

Hope this helps you out.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Ten Gallon War by John Eisenberg is good -- covers the AFL Texans and NFL Cowboys sharing Dallas and the Texans ultimately moving to KC....
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

The 1988 Bob St. John bio of Tex Schramm is a hardback.

The 2006 bio is a paperback of the same book although I cannot say if it includes updated material. I don't recall the cover saying it was a second, updated, or revised edition.

Instead it carries a different title, just to make things more confusing.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Eisenberg has another good book called, "The League" that talks about the NFL's early owners. Upton Bell, son of NFL commissioner Bert Bell, wrote a great book called "Present at the Creation."

I'm currently reading Tom Landry's autobiography. That book was written after Jerry Jones took over the Cowboys and has some info about Tex Schramm.

The most riveting book about sports and business that I've read is a baseball book called, "Lords of the Realm."
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael