Dan Rooney

nicefellow31

Dan Rooney

Post by nicefellow31 »

Hall of Famer Dan Rooney passes away at age 84.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steel ... age-of-84/
MatthewToy

Re: Dan Rooney

Post by MatthewToy »

I've never read his book. Is it any good?
James

Dan Rooney

Post by James »

Going off memory here, but wasn't Dan Rooney the one who was instrumental in the Steelers 1974 draft?
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

James wrote:Going off memory here, but wasn't Dan Rooney the one who was instrumental in the Steelers 1974 draft?
It was Noll and Dan Rooney, and of course Bill Nunn Sr., whose scouting certainly helped the Steelers decide on Stallworth, and while Donnie Shell was a free agent in 1974, surely played a role in the scouting of Shell. I have yet to read the Noll biography, but have always been of the opinion that Noll always had the final say on draft picks.

This thread should probably move to the main forum.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
James wrote:Going off memory here, but wasn't Dan Rooney the one who was instrumental in the Steelers 1974 draft?
It was Noll and Dan Rooney, and of course Bill Nunn Sr., whose scouting certainly helped the Steelers decide on Stallworth, and while Donnie Shell was a free agent in 1974, surely played a role in the scouting of Shell. I have yet to read the Noll biography, but have always been of the opinion that Noll always had the final say on draft picks.

I was thinking the same thing, Rupert. I was surprised not to see any mention of Rooney's death in the main forum, and then it occurred to me that I should look here. Certainly there's a lot to be discussed.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:

Bill Nunn Jr and Art Rooney Jr where the masterminds behind those Steelers draft. Rooney Jr and Noll often clashed over picks but Noll had final say. One of the times that Rooney Jr won was in 1972. Noll wanted to pick Robert Newhouse, but Rooney Jr wanted Franco Harris. We know how that turned out for Pittsburgh.

Ironically, I just finished read "Their Life's Work: The Brotherhood of the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers" and it details a lot on the relationships of the Rooney's, Noll, and the players.
https://www.amazon.com/Their-Lifes-Work ... 1451691629
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

nicefellow31 wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:

Bill Nunn Jr and Art Rooney Jr where the masterminds behind those Steelers draft. Rooney Jr and Noll often clashed over picks but Noll had final say. One of the times that Rooney Jr won was in 1972. Noll wanted to pick Robert Newhouse, but Rooney Jr wanted Franco Harris. We know how that turned out for Pittsburgh.

Ironically, I just finished read "Their Life's Work: The Brotherhood of the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers" and it details a lot on the relationships of the Rooney's, Noll, and the players.
https://www.amazon.com/Their-Lifes-Work ... 1451691629
I remember reading in, I think, the Roy Blount book, that Chuck Noll wanted Robert Newhouse instead of Franco Harris. Noll supposedly argued that a good small man was better than a good big man.