2017 Obituaries

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby LJP » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Former Bears, Browns, Packers & Falcons DE/LB John Thierry died on Friday aged 46.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html
LJP
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:12 am

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby mark22photos » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:03 am

John Land, former Colts & Eagles player also famous for appearing in the Pottstown Firebirds NFL Films specials. He died November 22.

http://www.congofuneralhome.com/notices/John-Land
mark22photos
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby BD Sullivan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 pm

==Deleted==

FWIW, next Monday marks the 50th anniversary of Harry Wismer's death--one day after he drunkenly fell down some steps and less than five years after he ran the Titans into the ground.
BD Sullivan
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby Eagles One » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 pm

Ken Gray, former six-time Pro-Bowl guard and linebacker with the Chicago/St. Louis Cardinals and Houston Oilers died November 25 at the age of 81.


https://www.dailytrib.com/2017/11/28/ll ... y-dies-81/
Eagles One
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 am

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby Shipley » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Here's a link to the NFL Films documentary "Pottstown Revisited" that features John Land reminiscing about his days as a Firebird: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUEMGHbugRE&t=1641s
Shipley
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby Eagles One » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Not a player but former NFL official Fritz Graf who officiated the 1967 "Ice Bowl Game" between the Packers and Cowboys died on November 28 at the age of 94.


https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/brown ... dies-at-94
Eagles One
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 am

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby BD Sullivan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:06 pm

Former Patriots and Colts head coach Ron Meyer has died at the age of 76:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/n ... 925508001/
BD Sullivan
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby Teo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Eagles One wrote:Not a player but former NFL official Fritz Graf who officiated the 1967 "Ice Bowl Game" between the Packers and Cowboys died on November 28 at the age of 94.


https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/brown ... dies-at-94


Graf also worked four Super Bowls and another 6 League or Conference Championship games.
Teo
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby Rupert Patrick » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Teo wrote:
Eagles One wrote:Not a player but former NFL official Fritz Graf who officiated the 1967 "Ice Bowl Game" between the Packers and Cowboys died on November 28 at the age of 94.


https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/brown ... dies-at-94


Graf also worked four Super Bowls and another 6 League or Conference Championship games.


Was Graf the one who blew the whistle and it froze to his lip and when he tried to remove it, it pulled a piece of skin off his lip? It happened to one of the referees at the Ice Bowl very early in the contest. They went to hand signals after that.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
User avatar
Rupert Patrick
 
Posts: 1746
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:53 pm
Location: Upstate SC

Re: 2017 Obituaries

Postby Teo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Rupert Patrick wrote:
Teo wrote:
Eagles One wrote:Not a player but former NFL official Fritz Graf who officiated the 1967 "Ice Bowl Game" between the Packers and Cowboys died on November 28 at the age of 94.


https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/brown ... dies-at-94


Graf also worked four Super Bowls and another 6 League or Conference Championship games.


Was Graf the one who blew the whistle and it froze to his lip and when he tried to remove it, it pulled a piece of skin off his lip? It happened to one of the referees at the Ice Bowl very early in the contest. They went to hand signals after that.


Yes, he was. He wore no. 34 for the major part of his career (he also worked Super Bowls V, VIII, XV and XVIII, his final game). From 1979-1981 he wore no. 7, as (inexplicabily) they numbered the officials according to their positions. Thus Graf officiated Super Bowl XV with another 3 officials who wore no. 7 that game.
Teo
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:24 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Football Obituaries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests