Sam Freaking Spence

MatthewToy

Sam Freaking Spence

Post by MatthewToy »

Just found out via Twitter that he passed away. Love his contributions to NFL Films. He will be missed.
Reaser

Re: Sam Freaking Spence

Post by Reaser »

Legend. Will listen to his work until the day I also expire.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I just woke this morning to hear the notice. Very sad. I read that he was living in Texas since his wife died in Munich a few years ago. He will be missed. I hear his music every day (no kidding, "Return of the Victors" is the tune of my cellphone, and "Headcracker Suite" is the tune of my alarm on the cellphone.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Teo wrote:I hear his music every day (no kidding, "Return of the Victors" is the tune of my cellphone, and "Headcracker Suite" is the tune of my alarm on the cellphone.
That's funny. I never messed with the music on my cellphone until a couple years ago. Now I have Spence stuff for various ringtones and Robidoux for my cellphone alarm. When people call me they hear "Sprint Right" as the ringback, too.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I've been watching a lot of old TWIPF programs lately. The combination of Sam's unforgettable music along with the tremendous chemistry between Brookie and Pat made for one of the greatest television programs ever.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

JohnH19 wrote:I've been watching a lot of old TWIPF programs lately. The combination of Sam's unforgettable music along with the tremendous chemistry between Brookie and Pat made for one of the greatest television programs ever.
That is my favorite sports program ever and looking back I probably became a fan of the game because of it. I started watching TWIPF in 1971 at the age of 9. I loved the highlights, but combining those with Spence's music made it an irresistible viewing experience. During the season I would replay those film images in my mind over and over. I was devistated when TWIPF wasn't shown in the Seattle area during the 1975 season.

R.I.P. Sam
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Funnily enough, I had "The Autumn Wind" theme stuck in my head all morning.