Wally Lemm's AFL Trivia Challenge!!

Bryan

Re: Wally Lemm's AFL Trivia Challenge!!

Post by Bryan »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:3 - Namath and Pete Beathard

5 - Billy Cannon, Keith Lincoln in the 63 Championship Game, Gilchrist, Nance, Clem Daniels. Guessing Lincoln didn't count because of postseason? Bonus answer?
Both of these are correct. And Lincoln is a bonus answer because it was in the postseason. #3 also has a bonus answer of Lamonica, because he had 401 yards in the 68 title game. I was surprised there weren't more 400+ passing games, and very surprised that Pete Beathard had one of them.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Wendell02 wrote:Bonus question #1: Jim Hunt, Patriots
Correct! Does anyone know of a longer INT TD return for a DT?
In AFL?
Or overall?

Dan Wilkinson had an 88-yarder for a TD but Hunt's his longest in AFL history
Thanks. Overall is good. I do know recall that Steve Emtman had a 90-yard return against Miami in one of his first (and only) games, but not sure if he was a DT or a DE. I thought he was a DT, though.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

Bryan wrote:
Wendell02 wrote:Bonus question #1: Jim Hunt, Patriots
Correct! Does anyone know of a longer INT TD return for a DT?
If it doesn't have to be AFL, Steve Emtman's famous 90 yd return with the ball stuck in his cage facemask.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote: Thanks. Overall is good. I do know recall that Steve Emtman had a 90-yard return against Miami in one of his first (and only) games, but not sure if he was a DT or a DE. I thought he was a DT, though.
Depends on the definition . . . and I don't know the right answer.

That year Siragusa was the NT most of the time and Emtman was listed as a DE. . . but some consider 3-4 DEs as "defensive interior". And in many cases 3-4 defensive ends play DT in 4-man defensive line nickel defenses. Howie Long was a 3-4 end and a 40-defensive tackle in nickel and dime. Some other cases a 3-4 DE would play DE in the 4-man lines. . .

Emtman was one of those kinds of guys, like Long. He started the game as a 3-4 DE and on the long TD he was a 40 DT. What was he? Both, I guess.

By assignment, you could say he was a DT, on the play he was a DT, but in the gamebook, he was a DE.

*shrug*

I think someone could say either one and be correct.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Bryan wrote:
GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:3 - Namath and Pete Beathard

5 - Billy Cannon, Keith Lincoln in the 63 Championship Game, Gilchrist, Nance, Clem Daniels. Guessing Lincoln didn't count because of postseason? Bonus answer?
Both of these are correct. And Lincoln is a bonus answer because it was in the postseason. #3 also has a bonus answer of Lamonica, because he had 401 yards in the 68 title game. I was surprised there weren't more 400+ passing games, and very surprised that Pete Beathard had one of them.
Ah - see, I didn't realize that Lamonica hit 400 in the 68 Championship. Nice add there!

The thing about Beathard - he did it against Kansas City. So somewhat more surprising perhaps. But they fell behind early so maybe they started throwing more. Beathard played in that crazy Wisconsin-USC Rose Bowl, so he probably threw a lot in that game, too.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael