Earl Morrall in 1968-Baltimore Colts

RichardBak

Re: Earl Morrall in 1968-Baltimore Colts

Post by RichardBak »

I'm wondering if those 2 Bert Bell trophies Lamonica is posing with weren't created "after the fact"---that is, they were issued after the 1970 merger to provide some kind of uniformity to the major awards previously announced by the Associated Press.

Looking at old newspaper clippings from '67 and '69, it says Lamonica was named the AFL MVP by the AP by a vote of sportswriters and broadcasters, apparently 3 from each AFL city. As far as I can tell, the AP didn't present trophies, no matter what the sport. Instead, winners got a large plaque, which typically was awarded in a brief pregame ceremony at midfield or home plate.

I suppose having a trophy issued retroactively wouldn't be that unusual, assuming it was ordered by or for the legitimate recipient. If I were Lamonica, I'd want a couple of large, stylish Bert Bell trophies to replace those rather unimpressive plaques the AP gave out.
Last edited by RichardBak on Sat May 20, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

A postscript to what I just posted....Lamonica also was awarded the inaugural Bill Gorman trophy in '67. The annual award, presented to the player who "best exemplifies the pride and spirit of the Raiders," was voted on by teammates. For that reason, Lamonica said it was his favorite award, especially since it was his first season with the club. The award evidently still exists, only under a different name.

BTW---I have no idea who Bill Gorman is/was. At first glance I thought it was named for some reason after Bill Groman, the old Oilers receiver. Duh.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

RichardBak wrote:I'm wondering if those 2 Bert Bell trophies Lamonica is posing with weren't created "after the fact"---that is, they were issued after the 1970 merger to provide some kind of uniformity to the major awards previously announced by the Associated Press.

As far as I can tell, the AP didn't present trophies, no matter what the sport. Instead, winners got a large plaque, which typically was awarded in a brief pregame ceremony at midfield or home plate.
1. I was thinking same thing...but couldn't find anything on any Bert Bell Trophy ever - so while possible they were given later, if they were it was never in any papers, meaning either the Maxwell Club didn't give a press release or if they did no wire service picked it up.

2. I don't even think NFL guys got a plaque. Baseball, yes. Football ... I think they do now, but back then, nothing. Same with UPI. The NEA gave a Trophy, the Jim Thorpe for MVP, that is the one between the Bert Bell trophies in the 2nd Lamonica photo. and the ones for Def MVP and ROY.

Back to your point 1. If they were given sometimes after . . . and did use AP, we'd never be able to know because they were all the same as UPI.
Speculating---Blanda won the Bell in 1970, and maybe at the Jan 1971 banquet they gave Lamonica a couple of awards for 67 and 69? And possible, but no evidence, one to Namath?
But what about prior? Jim Nance in 1966?

What an interesting deal.
Last edited by JohnTurney on Mon May 22, 2023 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

JohnTurney wrote: Speculating---Blanda won the Bell in 1970, and maybe at the Jan 1971 banquet they gave Lamonica a couple of awards for 67 and 69? And possible, but no evidence, one to Namath?
But what about prior? Jim Nance in 1966?
It appears that Joe Namath was not honored at the Jan. 1969 Maxwell awards dinner:
leroy-kelly-left-of-the-cleveland-browns-and-oj-simpson-of-southern-california-are-reflected-in-each-other...pro-football-player-of-1968-simpson-received-the-award-as-outstanding-college-player-of-1968-ap-photobill-ingraham-2N7MGPN (1).jpg
leroy-kelly-left-of-the-cleveland-browns-and-oj-simpson-of-southern-california-are-reflected-in-each-other...pro-football-player-of-1968-simpson-received-the-award-as-outstanding-college-player-of-1968-ap-photobill-ingraham-2N7MGPN (1).jpg (194.61 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
https://www.alamy.com/leroy-kelly-left- ... 65853.html
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Retro Rider wrote: It appears that Joe Namath was not honored at the Jan. 1969 Maxwell Awards dinner:
Yeah, he was never mentioned. I searched newspapers.com quite a while after you showed those photos
there is simply nothing at all about any AFL player being linked to a Bert Bell Trophy/Award in anyway
either from 1967-69 (banquets 1968-70)

of after, in case they did it maybe in 1971 retroactively...

found stuff on Meridith in 66, Unitas and Beban in 67, Kelly and Simpson 1968, Gabriel and Mike Reid in 1969
not a peep out Lamonica or Namath...but the evidence shoe showed is rock solid, two Bert Bells and a
what I believe to be a NEA Jim Thorpe Trophy
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Didnt Namath receive a watch? I remember in an interview with Kyle Rote, Rote joked with him about attending team meetings on time with it but maybe it was a team award ...
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

RichardBak wrote:I'm wondering if those 2 Bert Bell trophies Lamonica is posing with weren't created "after the fact"---that is, they were issued after the 1970 merger to provide some kind of uniformity to the major awards previously announced by the Associated Press.

Looking at old newspaper clippings from '67 and '69, it says Lamonica was named the AFL MVP by the AP by a vote of sportswriters and broadcasters, apparently 3 from each AFL city. As far as I can tell, the AP didn't present trophies, no matter what the sport. Instead, winners got a large plaque, which typically was awarded in a brief pregame ceremony at midfield or home plate.

I suppose having a trophy issued retroactively wouldn't be that unusual, assuming it was ordered by or for the legitimate recipient. If I were Lamonica, I'd want a couple of large, stylish Bert Bell trophies to replace those rather unimpressive plaques the AP gave out.
I'm leaning towards the theory that those trophies were awarded retroactively. Here's a photo of Lamonica in 2018 at a Clovis (California) High School Hall of Fame Banquet (he appears to be holding his 1969 Bell Trophy):
CP2U1223.jpg
CP2U1223.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

RichardBak wrote: Looking at old newspaper clippings from '67 and '69, it says Lamonica was named the AFL MVP by the AP by a vote of sportswriters and broadcasters, apparently 3 from each AFL city.
This caught my attention. Up until today, I thought Namath was AP's choice for AFL MVP in 1969. All the reference books I have list him as the winner. Ditto for 'Remember the AFL' and Todd Tobias' Tales From the American Football League:

http://www.remembertheafl.com/AFLMVPs.h ... on%20title.

https://talesfromtheamericanfootballlea ... oe-namath/

However, I noticed that both Pro Football Reference.com and Pro Football Archives (plus Wikipedia) are now listing Lamonica as the winner. I found an AP story from December 1969 that confirms it:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=i ... %2C3139702
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Retro Rider wrote: I'm leaning towards the theory that those trophies were awarded retroactively.
It is the only thing that makes sense. And maybe it was not a big enough story for
the wires (AP, UPI, NEA) to run with the story...(column space?, a big sports day?)
not a big enough deal to move the needle.

Glad you found this-I learned a lot.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Retro Rider wrote:
RichardBak wrote: Looking at old newspaper clippings from '67 and '69, it says Lamonica was named the AFL MVP by the AP by a vote of sportswriters and broadcasters, apparently 3 from each AFL city.
This caught my attention. Up until today, I thought Namath was AP's choice for AFL MVP in 1969. All the reference books I have list him as the winner. Ditto for 'Remember the AFL' and Todd Tobias' Tales From the American Football League:

http://www.remembertheafl.com/AFLMVPs.h ... on%20title.

https://talesfromtheamericanfootballlea ... oe-namath/

However, I noticed that both Pro Football Reference.com and Pro Football Archives (plus Wikipedia) are now listing Lamonica as the winner. I found an AP story from December 1969 that confirms it:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=i ... %2C3139702
Namath may have been announced as the winner in early '69 for his play in '68. It's kind of like winning a 2022 Emmy even when the winners are announced several months into 2023. This award stuff can get pretty confusing at times. I can see where Namath would be mistakingly listed as the 1969 MVP by some writers/publications.