New York Giants-The First Advertisers

LeonardRachiele

New York Giants-The First Advertisers

Post by LeonardRachiele »

As you might expect the New York Giants were were first medis advertisers.
Quotes are from memory and may not be exact.

1. Vitalis-In separate commercials Frank Gifford showed pass catching techniques and Dick  Lynch did likewise with pass defense to a young players. The younger guys only came close in execution but earned the respect of the player. The scene switched to the locker room where the player and his protégée were combing their hair. The player said "Are still using that greasy kids stuff. Look at the grease on your comb. You can even feel the grease. Instead use Vitalis to keep your hair neat without grease. While you're at it, try the Vitalis 60 second work out." The players starts massaging that stuff all over his skull. "Your scalp will feel great. Your hair will look great. Vitalis keeps your hair neat all day without grease. Prevents dryness too."

2. Haggar slacks. Sam Huff was playing catch will a bunch of kids. One almost knocks him over. "At least I dress a good game", he said.

3. Rise Shave Cream. Andy Robustelli rushes Cardinal quarterback Sam Etcheverry causing a limp pass, which fizzles after a few feet. I do not know why Rise did not use a full sack. Robustelli says. "If you want a fast clean shave without irritation, try Rise for a really great shave."

4. The best and most lasting was Charlie Connerly, the Marlboro Man. Films showed Connerly completing passes. He lasted for years on roadside billboards. Charlie Connerly was a dignified, ruggedly handsome man, who looked comfortable in western garb on a horse. Unfortunately, Connerly's commercials were realistic; he died of lung cancer.
Brian wolf

Re: New York Giants-The First Advertisers

Post by Brian wolf »

Knowing Giants history, especially once Vince Lombardi joined the team and the subsequent success, do you Leonard believe Conerly should be in the HOF ?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I think Red Grange made a lot of money in '25 through ad deals Pyle got for him. All kinds of stuff. He's the first example I can think of. Having turned pro, it was technically his reputation as a collegian that was the driver though. Without Grange, I would say there were other earlier pro stars whose images were used to promote products. Nagurski and Baugh on Dixie cups (ice cream) for example.

New York is a big market, but they wouldn't be my guess as the first. I would guess Green Bay, a smaller city with a lot of passion for the team would have been the first where players appeared in advertisements. Maybe Walker’s Cleaners as an early example.
LeonardRachiele

Post by LeonardRachiele »

All I can say here is that when Charlie Connerly was young the Giants were terrible; but he did look great in 1956, 1958, 1959, and for a limited time in 1961 61 was YA Title first year with NY, where he eased past the younger. Perhaps to make up for Connerly's first tough years, he get into the HOF.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Conerly's rookie year was great as well ... He helped put Lombardi on the map and didnt have a special receiver like Del Shofner ... Had it not been for Johnny U, he would have been MVP of the 58 Championship game ... He was third all-time in started QB wins when he retired and selflessly allowed his backup, Heinrich to start games as well ...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I think Red Grange made a lot of money in '25 through ad deals Pyle got for him. All kinds of stuff. He's the first example I can think of. Having turned pro, it was technically his reputation as a collegian that was the driver though. Without Grange, I would say there were other earlier pro stars whose images were used to promote products. Nagurski and Baugh on Dixie cups (ice cream) for example.

New York is a big market, but they wouldn't be my guess as the first. I would guess Green Bay, a smaller city with a lot of passion for the team would have been the first where players appeared in advertisements. Maybe Walker’s Cleaners as an early example.
Here are some for Gifford -
http://nflfunstuff.blogspot.com/search?q=gifford+

But there were some prior to Giants but in the 1950s, as is pointed out, they made a haul, Gifford, Rote, Rosbustelli, Conerley, Emlen Tunnell (Coke), I think Grier
got gigs Huff got a lot and I am sure plenty I am missing.

Grange did Chocolate Solder, Yeast Form Malted Milk, had his own chocolate bar, foot powder, Lucky Strikes, Wheaties
Nagurski did Wheaties, Scotch tape and I am sure a lot more

Ray Nolting did a milk ad, 1930s or so, Bill Fischer of the Chi cards did milk.

Crazylegs did Ovaltine, Van Brocklin did several things, Waterfield, even Bob Boyd, Glen Davis did Bromo Seltzer
Tom fears did Gillette, Jon Arnett was part of the Marlboro series that a lot of Giants were in

Seems like the big ones early on were NY, Chicago and LA---big media and advertising centers

Now as far as TV---if that is what you mean, then with the Networks and a good team in NY I think you
are right--they had to be the biggest gusy to take advantage of post-war TV explosion.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Bobby Layne did an ad for Marlboro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EXj6-X4Qvw
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael