1961 A Pittsburgh Loss Hurt the Eagles Even More

LeonardRachiele

1961 A Pittsburgh Loss Hurt the Eagles Even More

Post by LeonardRachiele »

Looking back at the 1961 season, the Eagles did not get much help or luck.  After eight games, the Eagles were 7-1. Two pieces of back luck occurred one at home and one away. 

--Tom Brookshier's broken leg vs the Chicago Bears which hurt the Eagles defense the rest of the year,
--The phantom roughing the kicker call on Leo Sugar with the Giants at Franklin Field, Eagles lost 28 to 24,
--The Browns tying the Giants at Yankee Stadium. One of the few times I ever rooted for Cleveland and the team could only get tie a 7 to 7 tie.

Had the Cleveland Browns won, there would have been a playoff game at Yankee Stadium.  New York defeated Philadelphia twice.

An even more important game occurred at Pitt Stadium in the second week of the season between the Giants and the Pittsburgh Steelers.  This loss for Pittsburgh really hurt.   Had it been otherwise, the Philadelphia Eagles would have won the conference out right;  10-4 to the Giants 9-4-1.  Both Pittsburgh and the Giants lost their first game.  Pittsburgh scored first on a run from John Henry Johnson to get a 7 to 0 lead.  Then everything went wrong until the fourth quarter.

1. First Flop.  I was all set to go up 14 to 0.  On a fake field goal attempt at the New York 42, holder Tom Tracy had John Henry wide open at the 20.  The play worked perfectly; Tracy hit Johnson between the numbers; nobody was near him; he could have walked in; and Johnson dropped the ball.  On my aching back.
2. Giants Defensive Back Erich Barnes intercepted a pass,
3. Deja Vu number two.  Barnes was a Steeler nemesis in the 60s,
4. Punt Returner Bill Butler fumbled and lost the ball.

Even with these gaffs the Steelers could have won.  Bobby Layne threw a touchdown pass to Buddy Dial to narrow the game, 17 to 14, in New York's favor.  The same combination put the Steelers at the New York 25 with 90 seconds left.  However, the Giants did not get their reputation for defense with out just cause.  Defensive End Andy Robustelli rushed Layne causing a fumble. Another great Giant Jim Katcavge recovered.

Mistakes and turnovers cost the Steelers in this 17 to 14 loss; and it hurt the Philadelphia Eagles even more.