John Henry Johnson

LeonardRachiele

John Henry Johnson

Post by LeonardRachiele »

Pro Football Fans noticed the death on June 4, 2011 of John Henry Johnson, a great running back and member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  There is a section of the sports memorabilia room at Arizona State, his Alma Mater in Tempe.  This is just south of my place in Scottsdale.  There are three coincidences surrounding John Henry in twists of fate.

Johnson came into the NFL as part of the Dream Backfield with the San Francisco Forty-Niners, where he played  from 1954 to 1956.  The other three members of this great combination were Quarterback Y.A. Tittle and Running Backs Hugh McElhenny and Joe "the Jet" Perry.  When John Henry retired in 1966, he was fourth on the all time rushing list with 6,803 yards. The first three were Jim Brown, Jim Taylor, and naturally Joe Perry.  Perry died in late April just six weeks before JHJ.  In addition to running, John Henry Johnson caught 186 passes for 1,479 yards. His unique running style was a combination of grace, power, and speed.  Johnson could zig zag or take defenders straight on, depending on the circumstances.   Add that one thing not measured but very important.  Johnson loved to block and did it better than any other running back in his time.

After three years with Forty Niners, the Detroit Lions acquired him in 1957. He played also three years as a Lion and was their number one runner.  Even so, John Henry seemed to be on the edge of but never achieving greatness. He got in trouble with the coaches and left impression he was dogging it.  Perhaps that was true.  Johnson played five years with the Pittsburgh Steelers, 1960 to 1964; this formed the base for his entrance into the Hall Of Fame.  Consider the following:

1960. Johnson teamed with Tom Tracy to give the Steelers their best rushing duo up till that time.  With Tracy gaining 680 yards and Johnson 612,  Pittsburgh could bank on at least 100 yards on the ground each game.  John Henry 's best game was in week 11 at Forbes Field when the Steelers broke Philadelphia's nine game winning streak, 27 to 21.  Johnson carried 19 times setting two Steeler records; most yards gained in a game, 182, and the longest run from scrimmage 88 yards.  As might be expected, this run was a touchdown and the longest in the NFL for 1960 .

1961.  With Tom Tracey injured, the almost entire ground game rested on Johnson and he responded in two ways.  His 787 yards set a Steeler record for yard gained in season and was John Henry's best season to date.  In two consecutive games, he ran the opposition ragged. 

Week 7 at Forbes Field vs the San Francisco Forty Niners.  Johnson carried  15 times for 103 yards including a 30 yard touchdown run.  Pittsburgh 20 San Francisco 10.
Week 8 at Cleveland.  While not scoring, John Henry carried 22 times for 105 yards.  His effort established good field position and burned the clock.  The Steelers ended the title hopes of the  Cleveland Browns with a 17 to 13 win. 

1962.  John Henry Johnson became the first Steeler to rush for over 1,000 yards and was the key to the best season for Pittsburgh to date.  They were 9-5 in the Eastern Division, second only to the New York Giants, and went to the Runner up Bowl in January.  Johnson's 1,141 yards was second to Jimmy Taylor, who had 1,410.  Only in this year did Jimmy Brown not lead the league in rushing.  1962 was the second and last year Brown failed to gain 1,000 yards-he had 996.  JHJ's best game was 138 yards at St. Louis where the Steelers erupted for a 17 point fourth quarter and 26 to 17 win.

Typically though Johnson saved his best effort for the best teams.  In 1962, John Henry had two splendid games against the New York Giants. 

--Week Three at Pitt Stadium vs the New York Giants.  Johnson carried 20 times for 113 yards and a touchdown.  At the end of both the first half and the game, the Steelers came away with nothing inside the Giant 15.  The scored was tied when Pittsburgh tried a fake field goal in the final play of the first half.  New York's defensive back, Al Webb,  knocked  Ed Brown's intended pass for John Powers in the End Zone.   Bobby Layne completed a 30 yard pass to Buddy Dial at the Giants' 15.  On the next play, long time Steeler nemesis Erich Barnes intercepted a pass under the Giants goal post to cook the game.  The score was 31 to 27 both before and after the interception.  Even though it was game three, this cost the Pittsburgh Steelers the Eastern Division title.

--Week Five at Yankee Stadium.  The Steelers tore apart the Giants defensive line for a 20 to 17 victory.  Johnson carried 22 times for 123 yards.  Defensive back Clendon Thomas intercepted two passes; Pittsburgh's biggest win of the season. 

1963.  Johnson was injured and missed two consecutive games in October.   Johnson's injury may have cost Pittsburgh the Eastern Division title.  I won't go in the games chronologically but have separated them to make my point.

Week Four At Cleveland.  Twice on fourth and goal from the Cleveland one, Pittsburgh had to settle for eight yard field goals.  With John Henry carrying, this would have been a different matter.  Clendon Thomas also was injured and Browns quarterback Frank Ryan had a field day.   Browns 35 Steelers 23.

Week Five at St. Louis.  This arm wrestles in with the Giants at home game the previous year;  to be academic, what was the biggest regular season loss of the Pre-1970 Steelers.  Pittsburgh built 20 to 3 halftime lead, getting some big turnovers.   Without John Henry Johnson, the Steelers could not establish any ground game in the second half.  Rough 24 to 23 loss.  

But there were two great games

Week Two at Pitt Stadium vs. the New York Giants.  John Henry Johnson carried 24 times for 123 yards and a touchdown.  A whitewash and I would like an entire season of games like 31 to 0.

Week Nine at Pitt Stadium vs. the Cleveland Browns.   JHJ ran 27 times for 131 yards, with Pittsburgh winning, 9 to 7.  While this was a thrilling game, it should have been much easier.  Steeler quarterback Ed Brown overthrew receivers all day and Lou Michaels missed five field goals. 

1964. This may have been the most amazing year a running back ever had. Johnson was 35 years old; the team was next to last in passing; and their once good defensive secondary became a sieve.  JHJ gained 1,048 finishing third in the NFL behind Jimmy Brown and Jim Taylor.  As a team, the Steelers were fourth in rushing with the teams listed below.  I am not certain of the order of the first three but the important thing is how each team finished.

Cleveland Browns 10-3-1
Baltimore Colts 12-2    
Green Bay Packers 8-5-1
Pittsburgh Steelers 5-9

Cleveland defeated Baltimore 27 to 0 in the NFL Title Game.  In Johnson's favor, the Steelers had a both good offensive line and Clarence Peaks, who ran well as the "other back." As the records show, after John Henry Johnson, very little

Week Five at Cleveland.  JHJ had the best game of any back that year; the best game of career; and set a Pittsburgh record of 200 yards for a game, breaking his own mark of 182 yards set four years earlier.   He scored three  touchdowns on runs of 33, 45 and 4 yards. Pittsburgh 23 Browns 7.

Week Eleven at Yankee Stadium.  Johnson carried 25 times for 106 yards and two touchdowns.  Pittsburgh had the third highest score in team history and a personal high for coach Buddy Parker in his eight years in Pittsburgh. Steelers 44 Giants 17.       
rhickok1109

Re: John Henry Johnson

Post by rhickok1109 »

Johnson's HOF credentials seem very weak to me.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Nice write-up @ LeonardRachiele

I would agree with @rhickok1109 that the HOF argument isn't strong on paper. Would be interested in hearing from @JohnTurney who had some high praise for JHJ here: https://www.si.com/specials/mmqb-nfl-al ... urney.html
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Don Perkins and Rick Casares had more accolades then JHJ without making the HOF. Only longevity allowed Johnson to pass their numbers. Johnson had better rushing numbers than John David Crow but not the receiving yards or total TDs ... A championship helped put him in the HOF.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Brian wolf wrote:Don Perkins and Rick Casares had more accolades then JHJ without making the HOF. Only longevity allowed Johnson to pass their numbers. Johnson had better rushing numbers than John David Crow but not the receiving yards or total TDs ... A championship helped put him in the HOF.
You rang? :)
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Nice write-up @ LeonardRachiele

I would agree with @rhickok1109 that the HOF argument isn't strong on paper. Would be interested in hearing from @JohnTurney who had some high praise for JHJ here: https://www.si.com/specials/mmqb-nfl-al ... urney.html
I picked a few non-HOFers as well. His running numbers are not HOF worthy, nor are his honors. On that I would have picked him if he was not
in the Hall of Fame - or in other words, his being in the HOF was not why I picked him.

In that excercise, I was trying to pick a team that could be fielded and played--not sure others were doing that,a couple just picked maybe the best running backs. Gil Brandy chose Jim Brown and Walter Payton - -someone chose Earl Campbell and Barry Sanders--so their backfield was "better" but could they play together?

Campbell--do we know if he was a good blocker? I guess he could have been but in the I he was not asked to do it...

anyway, if I didn't go with Johnson, I may have gone with Lorenzo Neal or Moose Johnston---but went with Johnson because of his blocking and how he was used---in the fantasy
team I envisioned having one of best blockers ever in Johnson, but also build around Faulk, who could run and also pass block, but could also line up as a slot receiver and in that case, Johnson could still carry the ball so he was a better more versatile player, dominate lead block, dominant pass block, and with Steelers a good runner and decent enough receiver

Maybe I was overthinking it.

as far as HOF? I agree with those that are essentially saying the numbers are not there---I think why he got in was the blocking legend--blocking for McElhenny and Perry and
then the stories---Chuck Noll saying how hard Johnson hit him, others saying how tough of a blocker he was, etc. He broke Les Richter's jaw--was said to have "the meanest elbows in pro football" and all that kind of stuff

with him, it was enough it seems...also, I think the fact that Csonka was up for the Hall that year helped in the final vote. Maybe not so much in the fact that he was a senior candidate but with Csonka being up the committee could have used the "well if we are going to vote for Csonka, let me tell you about John Henry" ... again, just speculation.

One HOF voter once said, "let me tell you about Csonka" so I waited with anticipation, here comes some secret squirrel information - - so he continues
"early in his career he was 4.5, 5.0, 5.5 yards a carry. Later, he was 3.5, 3.6, 3.4 . . . "

I am then thinking "That's it?"

I knew that when I was 16 years old, from the back of football cards and that is the "let me tell you about Csonka info?"

Some information. Wow.
TanksAndSpartans

Thanks John - great reply. I had always wondered about your choice of JHJ.
JohnTurney wrote:...if I didn't go with Johnson, I may have gone with Lorenzo Neal or Moose Johnston---but went with Johnson because of his blocking and how he was used---in the fantasy
team I envisioned having one of best blockers ever in Johnson, but also build around Faulk, who could run and also pass block, but could also line up as a slot receiver and in that case, Johnson could still carry the ball so he was a better more versatile player, dominate lead block, dominant pass block, and with Steelers a good runner and decent enough receiver
This reminds me of a video game I used to play - "All-Pro Football 2K8". Unlike Madden with current rosters, it had all historical players (Madden had the rights to use likenesses of the current players, so 2K signed individual contracts with the historical players).

Anyway, in building a team, you could only choose 11 of the historical stars and the rest of your roster was filled in with fictional players. I used to try and reason out my roster like you mention above. Moose was actually in the game - they didn't have many fullbacks and one was Joe Perry, so if you wanted someone who was a good fit in the lead blocker role, Johnston was the way to go. Earl Campbell and Barry Sanders were both in the game too, but you'd never pick both since you wouldn't be able to get them both on the field at the same time fairly (They were both HBs and there weren't dual HB formations).
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Thanks John - great reply. I had always wondered about your choice of JHJ.
I was a dog on my own hunt. I had my own goals (an am giving them away in case the PFRA guys here decide to organize one) and that was
to field a team that could play together.

As mentioned-wanted a lead blocker--but also one who could catch some and on some old stuff TJ told me that he would be a wing
sometimes...and could carry if my imaginary team would put Faulk in the slot. I think I was one of few that could go 3 wide
because of that. Whoever got Payton could, but some picked two pure runners-with Gonzales could go double slots.

On defense I was only one who did a 3-4 and picked players who could play it. Others did 4-3 but would pick some
3-4 OLbers to play in their defense that were not fits. Same with some of the linemen.

My only cheat, and I immediately regretted it, was going with Kenn as 2nd tackle. I saw no one else except Gosselin cared
though I like Kenn more than Jacoby---who at least played some right tackle.

The one that got away was Albert Lewis. I should have waited on someone and grabbled lewis. I wanted him for coverage
run support and special teams.

I had a great holder (Cromwell, who was also, at his peak a great safety, played both strong and free and could go left
and right) and wanted Lewis for ST reasons. Ed Reed and Cromwell could block kicks---Reed, also played both strong
and free so I wanted to go left- and right safeties like some teams are doing now.

So, Johnson was a pick for that reason

I wasn't just picking all-honors guys.

But to me Johnson in HOF--he's like LeBeau and Riley, IMO
TanksAndSpartans

I think Rick Gosselin tried to build a real team too. Whose team did you like second best?
JohnTurney wrote:But to me Johnson in HOF--he's like LeBeau and Riley, IMO
I'm glad I asked - I really thought for sure you were pro JHJ in the HOF - I read you completely wrong. My counter argument would be if you'd pick a Neal or Johnston or JHJ or some other back with a fullback skillset to play that role for your fantasy team, among anyone who ever played, shouldn't you consider that player a HOFer? I'd get out of that pickle because I'd have gone Nagurski or if he was off the board then Hinkle and both are in the HOF. If Johnston or Neal somehow got into the HOF, would you put them in the same category as JHJ? I'll answer it and say I'd be fine with either. I think FB would be the one position where I'd throw honors out the window because most of the time the all-pro backs are the ones with the most yards even in decades like the 80s when almost every team used a lot of two back sets.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The story was that Pat Livingston of the Pittsburgh Press Gazette was a HOF voter, and every year he'd plead John Henry Johnson's case. JHJ was a guy that no one wanted to mess with. He was a great blocker. I agree that his credentials and stats aren't tremendous, but he was a very unique player. He did some amazing things past the age of 30, kind of like Riggins. His yardage totals may not be impressive in retrospect, but he was almost always in the top 10 rushing total every season regardless of switching teams. I think when he retired he was the 4th leading rushed in history. I don't think any other player played FB, CB and KR. JHJ was very talented....film study of him is very impressive. I'd rather have JHJ in the HOF than someone like Floyd Little, but that is JMO.

I guess the story with Livingston is that he resigned his HOF voting spot in 1986 because JHJ was never elected, then JHJ was elected in 1987.