Bud was a true legend. R.I.P.
He was a legend. He was the one who said that. I found it
very odd. Not something Vikings fans would find
all that appropriate.

But maybe he had a dry sense of humor.
RichardBak

Re: Bud Grant-making a not-so-funny-joke

Post by RichardBak »

Grant had a dry sense of humor. That deadpan delivery kinda reminded me of my grandfather...as a kid it took me a long time to realize he was usually messing with me.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I have little doubt he was being serious. Grant loved his $$$, and made no qualms about coaching being a job first and a passion second. He would bring home leftovers from team breakfasts. Later in life he would unload memorabilia via garage sales, even though he had more money than Croesus. You want your purchase signed? Another $25, please. R.I.P., but the man was greedy and cheap.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Loser's share.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Citizen wrote:I have little doubt he was being serious. Grant loved his $$$, and made no qualms about coaching being a job first and a passion second. He would bring home leftovers from team breakfasts. Later in life he would unload memorabilia via garage sales, even though he had more money than Croesus. You want your purchase signed? Another $25, please. R.I.P., but the man was greedy and cheap.
Well . . . he grew up dirt poor, depression era . . . not only breakfasts but food from team plane. He thought since it
was paid for by VIkings that someone should take it..it was all going to the garbage.

So, I get being cheap it is common for people of that era, it was just the ethic.
Greedy? I will take your word on that, I don't know him at all.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Citizen wrote:I have little doubt he was being serious. Grant loved his $$$, and made no qualms about coaching being a job first and a passion second. He would bring home leftovers from team breakfasts. Later in life he would unload memorabilia via garage sales, even though he had more money than Croesus. You want your purchase signed? Another $25, please. R.I.P., but the man was greedy and cheap.
I wouldn't criticize him for that, considering most of the buyers were probably looking to sell the autographed memorabilia at a considerable profit. If Bud was really greedy and cheap, he would have signed his own stuff, and sold it directly on the marketplace. He would have made a lot more money.
Last edited by conace21 on Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

JohnTurney wrote:at 30:00 seconds says he "got paid"
and then told lasy she bet the wrong way

Bud, come on. Found this looking for
stuff with the bad news today.

Yikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyB9IGWIlw4
I watched this video, and the lady says she doesn’t think she’ll ever see the Vikings win a Super Bowl. Bud says he won’t, either, but…

“I got paid,” he said.
She replies, “I didn’t.”
He says, “You didn’t bet right, did you?”

Bud’s having gotten paid to coach and her not making the “right” bet have no relationship to each other except the woman’s ridiculous response that she didn’t get paid like Bud did.

It’s a friggin’ business. Why shouldn’t Bud be proud that he got paid? Pro football is an entertainment product. Bud understood that, and it’s why he became the first free agent when he left for a bigger paycheck in Winnipeg. Good for him.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium