Emergence of Wilbert Montgomery

LeonardRachiele

Emergence of Wilbert Montgomery

Post by LeonardRachiele »

Sunday December 11, 1977 was a clear cold windy day at Veterans Stadium for the Eagles return game with the New York Giants. Although 3-9 matched with the Giants' 5-7, Philadelphia won the first game 28 to 10. Herb Lusk was impressive with 118 yards, 70 coming on a touchdown run. After that Lusk faded.

The Eagles were vastly improved in defense from Dick Vermeil's first year. All but two of the nine losses very close. If they had good runner, I thought, their record might be 10-2. Wilbert Montgomery had returned punts and kickoffs through 12 games without any distinction. I was certain this 8th round draft pick would not be around next year. The NFL had announced plans expanding to a 16 game schedule. The Eagles really needed a running back.

Ron Jaworski fumbled a snap from center at the Eagles 20, setting up a New York touchdown. Through my biased eyes, I felt the official blew a pass interference call on Harold Carmichael in the Giants' end zone. The Eagles got only a field goal trailed 7 to 3 at halftime.

One yard deep in the end zone, Wilbert Montgomery fielded the second half kickoff and gracefully weaved his way through Giants would be tacklers. This was not a straight on run but no one touched him on the way to the end zone. Really a classic return! Early in the fourth quarter, the Giants took the lead 14 to 10.

With six minutes left, the Philadelphia Eagles took over on their own 35. Jaworski had done nothing passing the entire day. It was not a good day for him but that swirling wind did not help much. When all else fails go back to basics. Jaworski alternated handoffs to Mike Hogan and Tom Sullivan who got steady if unspectacular amounts of yardage and really burned the clock. With just 20 second left, Jaws crossed up the Giants by bootlegging for a touchdown from one yard. Final Eagles 17 Giants 14. Ron Jaworski's passing yardage that day-minus 11.

The next week, Wilbert Montgomery got his first start on a rain soaked day at the Vet when only 18,000 fans, including me, showed up. Fortunately, my seat was covered. Montgomery ran well but the Eagles defense stole the the show with an overwhelming performance against the New York Jets. It was difficult to believe the Eagles were 4-9 against the Jets 3-10. The Eagles moved 50 yards for the first touchdown. Randy Logan returned an interception 37 yards to the Jets one to set up another. Jaworski passed to Charlie Smith resulting a field goal. Jets' quarterback Richard Todd, by now falling apart, fumbled a snap. Bill Bergy recovered resulting in another three pointer. The bewildered Jets left the field behind 20 to 0 at halftime.

The Eagles played conservatively on offense in the second half but the defense really kept pressuring Todd. He had no time to set up and the ground game was non-existent. With two minutes left came the final meltdown. Bill Bergy made another turnover-an interception this time. Montgomery carried for a first down to the Jets 20 at the two minute warning. Dick Vermeil pulled Jaworski and inserted Roman Gabriel. In his last year, Gabriel held the ball for kicks and threw only three passes. Gabriel handed off to Montgomery who went 20 yards for a touchdown. In his first start Montgomery gained 103 yards on his way to becoming the all time Eagle rusher. Final-Eagles 27 Jets 0. The defense recorded seven sacks, three pass interceptions, and as mentioned a fumble recovery.

In a post script, I also saw in person two other highlights from Montgomery's career

-a 90 yard touchdown run against the Houston Oilers in 1982, the longest in Eagles history;
-in the second game of the 1984 season, Montgomery gained 98 yards in 19 carries against Minnesota, passing Steve Van Buren for a all time Eagle rusher.