Your Top 10 TEs of all-time

Brian wolf

Re: Your Top 10 TEs of all-time

Post by Brian wolf »

Imagine had Casper started his first couple of years but Madden just used him for short-yardage blocking. Possibly the best blocking TE I have ever seen, he totally crashed in the Steelers right side defensive front in that 1976 SB ... er, AFC Championship game. Any older Steelers fans I have talked to wished Casper was on their team ...

I viewed Caster and Barkum as huge receivers rather than TEs ... Milt Morin had good years for the Browns in the late 60s ... Retzlaff, Jerry Smith and Koucerek were receivers as well though John Turney mentioned Smith lined up as a TE ...
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

Barkum and Caster were both premium NY draft selections from Jackson State in the early 1970's and both played for over a decade. I think Caster's last game was in the Rose Bowl - victory in Super Bowl 17 with the Redskins. Both very good receivers.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

More than 20 posts this thread and no mention of Jay Novacek or Brent Jones yet.

When it comes to TE, they should have a list of best-ever blocking TEs, best-ever receiving TEs, and the far more important (legit) list…best-ever OVERALL (could do both)!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Just punch in best ever tight ends pro football journal or any other position, 4-3 defensive ends etc and the guys have a great lists ... I mentioned Jay Novachek but forgot to mention Heath Miller who was an excellent combo blocker-receiver ...

I think Jimmy Graham might make the HOF with his TD catches but not Greg Olsen, who has more yardage, though they didnt block alot.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Brian wolf wrote:Just punch in best ever tight ends pro football journal or any other position, 4-3 defensive ends etc and the guys have a great lists ... I mentioned Jay Novachek but forgot to mention Heath Miller who was an excellent combo blocker-receiver ...

I think Jimmy Graham might make the HOF with his TD catches but not Greg Olsen, who has more yardage, though they didnt block alot.
Heath Miller definitely was a receiver but was asked to block quite a bit more, especially when Steelers had OL-issues. I did once start a 'he-vs-Bavaro' thread years back which, yes (lol), was justifiably not responded to. Yes, both had two Rings and two Pro Bowls, but Mark's two were also All Pros, his career was cut short, and - yes - there really wasn't a peak-vs-peak comparison after all admittedly from this, here, Steeler-fan.

Suggesting HOVG after Heath retired (bringing up underrated #91 Aaron Smith as well) received some push-back. Where would Heath be in this convo if he was thrown to even more throughout his career? Likely IN the convo, but it's all based on theory. We'll never know. As was responded to me those years back, there are many remarkable players as well as underrated ones, and not all of them can even get into the HOVG, so you just understand that and go with it.

How about...JUNIOR MIller (yes, Bart's target from that NFC top-seed '80 team)?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think Heath Miller definitely has a case for HOVG if not HOF ... very reliable, popular and helped the Steelers win championships without leaving the team, like their other wideouts.

If Anquan Boldin was listed as a tight end, he would have been a first ballot choice.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Another TE I would like your opinion is Charle Young. I remember watching him late in his career when he made the Super Bowl with the Rams and then won it with the 49ers two years later, as well as being a part of the Seahawks' first playofF team, but I didn't realize back then (I was very young) thAt he was one of the top TE from 1973-1975 while with the Eagles. He made 3 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro team and 2 2nd team All-Pro team in his first three years.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Teo wrote:Another TE I would like your opinion is Charle Young. I remember watching him late in his career when he made the Super Bowl with the Rams and then won it with the 49ers two years later, as well as being a part of the Seahawks' first playof team, but I didn't realize back then (I was very young) thet he was one of the top TE from 1973-1975 while with the Eagles. He made 3 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro team and 2 2nd team All-Pro team in his first three years.
A guy I talk football with said that the Rams should have been starting him instead of Terry Nelson (and Cullen Bryant instead of John Cappeletti, a player that the Rams had no business drafting in the first round because they already had a glut at the position).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Though his career TDs were low, those Rams years might have cost Charle Young the HOF/HOVG. Another huge receiver who helped Harold Carmichael thrive as well. Also helped the Seahawks make an AFC Championship game ... A great story for SF in 1981.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:Though his career TDs were low, those Rams years might have cost Charle Young the HOF/HOVG. Another huge receiver who helped Harold Carmichael thrive as well. Also helped the Seahawks make an AFC Championship game ... A great story for SF in 1981.
I met Charle Young today.

Was sitting in a chair outside the Fox presser. Had just asked Howie Long and Strahan a couple of questions--ignored the rest. was sitting in a chair. Charle sees me, and out of the blue asks me who I am. I tell him that I am there with PFJ, that it is a blog . . . and he asks "it is any good?". I say, "It's okay". and laugh.

I didn't recognize him, we was using a walking stick, not a cane, but also had one of those wide brim hats on. Kind of a louder-type guys. I don't know why he singled me out. Other than I was wearing a suit and very few of the media do. Most in shorts or jeans. Anyway, we talked a bit since we knew a few of the same people, telling me "well if you know hoim then you must be good people"? Then he went into the presser.

Funny you bring im him. I would not have recognizd him, at all, but when I stood up, after he called me out, I saw his credential, so knew who he was...He's not 6-4 anymore, that is for sure.