Super Bowl 10

Shipley

Re: Super Bowl 10

Post by Shipley »

One explanation for why Stram wasn't critical of the decision might be that he was still hoping to get another coaching job in the league and didn't want to upset the coaching fraternity. I can think of other former coach commentators who made me wonder the same thing about them.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Staubach had a bad SB X no doubt but it didnt help that Landry called one of the most conservative, close-to-the-vest games of his career. That lack of confidence in opening up his offense had to have frustrated Staubach during the game with Greenwood having his way with HOF tackle Wright ...
Last edited by Brian wolf on Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Shipley wrote:One explanation for why Stram wasn't critical of the decision might be that he was still hoping to get another coaching job in the league and didn't want to upset the coaching fraternity. I can think of other former coach commentators who made me wonder the same thing about them.
Hank Stram got the Saints head coaching job right after Super Bowl X. He lasted two seasons and went back to broadcasting.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:I somewhat, disagree on the 1978/79 SB. Dallas moved the ball just fine and should have tied the score at 21 but Smith dropped the TD pass. What was dumb was Randy White trying to handle it on special teams with a cast on, that resulted in another turnover ... Bradshaw to Swann during those drives put the pressure on the Dallas to score quickly. Dorsett and Staubach had played well.
Coach John Madden thought the very same thing about that gaffe involving Randy White. In one of his books from the '80s he wrote that he never would've put a guy with a cast on his arm on the field in a situation like that.