George Allen's Legacy as Redskin HC

7DnBrnc53

George Allen's Legacy as Redskin HC

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I was watching the History of the Redskins on You Tube recently. During the part about George Allen, people like John Riggins were saying that Allen didn't want to win with all three phases of the game, basically (he didn't care about offense). To the people of this board, is that your take, or is it something else?
Brian wolf

Re: George Allen's Legacy as Redskin HC

Post by Brian wolf »

Allen mostly focused on defense but he did believe that if his offense could run the ball and avoid turnovers, the defense and special teams could win the games.

His mistake was relying on Kilmer too long and didnt really believe Theismann was the right guy. I also believe that deep down, like I posted another time, that he didnt pursue Roman Gabriel because the QB had jeopardized his first season with the Rams by signing with the AFL Raiders. Gabriel came back to the team due to the merger and NFL shenanigans but like John Brodie, probably collected checks from both teams. He convinced Allen he was a winner on the field but once Gabriel couldnt win a championship with him, probably felt he wasnt worth pursuing for the Ramskins. A mistake in my opinion since Jurgensen, who he felt threw too often, got injured but Kilmer ran the short passing-ball control offense that he wanted. Imagine though had Gabriel came to the team throwing to Taylor, Smith, Jefferson and Brown?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:Allen mostly focused on defense but he did believe that if his offense could run the ball and avoid turnovers, the defense and special teams could win the games.

His mistake was relying on Kilmer too long and didnt really believe Theismann was the right guy. I also believe that deep down, like I posted another time, that he didnt pursue Roman Gabriel because the QB had jeopardized his first season with the Rams by signing with the AFL Raiders. Gabriel came back to the team due to the merger and NFL shenanigans but like John Brodie, probably collected checks from both teams. He convinced Allen he was a winner on the field but once Gabriel couldnt win a championship with him, probably felt he wasnt worth pursuing for the Ramskins. A mistake in my opinion since Jurgensen, who he felt threw too often, got injured but Kilmer ran the short passing-ball control offense that he wanted. Imagine though had Gabriel came to the team throwing to Taylor, Smith, Jefferson and Brown?
He did pursue Gabriel in 1973, he did not have the draft picks (already traded) and not also willing to pay what what Eagles did
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks John ... I had wondered if he was interested but I know he liked Kilmer.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:Thanks John ... I had wondered if he was interested but I know he liked Kilmer.
When Rams got hadl in 73, Gabriel was still a Ram--and was then expendable. Initially Rams publically
said Gabe and Hadl would compete for job but Gabriel wanted out

McCormack, who'd been with Allen in LA and Was, had the ammo to get him--but remember
Kilmer/Jurgensen just had gotten them to SB--so how serious was Was? Don't know.
Just that there was some interest...
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Was there any doubt about Jurgy’s ability to return for the ‘73 season? He was 39 years old and coming off of a torn Achilles’ tendon which was often a career killer fifty years ago.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnH19 wrote:Was there any doubt about Jurgy’s ability to return for the ‘73 season? He was 39 years old and coming off of a torn Achilles’ tendon which was often a career killer fifty years ago.
There had to be. But Gabe wanted to be traded and he wanted Washington. One reported trade was Gabriel to Was for Jurgenson and high future picks but Klosterman thought better of it. There was some sort of conventional thinking that you needed two good QBs, Miami just won a SB with Morrall filling in for Griese. Rosenbloom won in SB V with Morral and Unitas sharing time. Then in 68 Morrall took over for Unitas--and went 13-1 before going down in SB III. In 72 Washington go to SB with Jurgensen and Kilmer splitting time.

Klosterman may have been thinking Hadl- Gabriel would be his 1-2 punch, I don't know.

Some old guys playing QB in 73--SD even tough Unitas had one more year in him--to teach Fouts. Morral was still around Jurgensen was going to play (but as you suggest there has to be at least some question about healing, but Unitas had same injury a couple years earler), Blanda was still a backup. Geezer city on some teams as backups early 70s
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Allen, in his brief stint as the Rams head coach, wanted Gabriel in 1978 but he failed a physical because of his knee.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

This is an interesting interview with George Allen from 1980. Among topics, he mentions having interest in the CFL:

https://youtu.be/3zk1y9c2oj0
Sonny9 wrote:Allen, in his brief stint as the Rams head coach, wanted Gabriel in 1978 but he failed a physical because of his knee.
I always found it odd that Gabriel made it into the 1978 Topps Football Card set despite having only 3 pass attempts in 1977. His '78 card pictures him with the Rams, though the photo appears airbrushed:
s-l1600 - 2023-01-21T073019.061.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-01-21T073019.061.jpg (171.26 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
s-l1600 - 2023-01-21T073232.344.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-01-21T073232.344.jpg (172.87 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Typical Redskins ... according to the video(Thanks RR) the Redskins offered Allen a new contract for 1978 but left out his stock option, where he rightly, helped build the franchise up in value, especially for television. He refused to sign ... Luckily JKC got Gibbs four years later.