False starts

Brian wolf

Re: False starts

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks RC ... I had forgotten about that and you might be right. I just feel Head Coaches should be fighting for their players, whether in getting the first downs on offense, or stopping first downs on defense and have the right to demand that there be measurements by the officials. The imaginary television lines are not official and if they are, I need to know about it but it still should work along with measurements for extremely close calls ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Another non-penalty on a crucial playoff TD in Buffalo ... Great insight guys !!
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Yep. I brought this up in the forum a while back, and some of us had noticed it the year before last -- so, within the past 5 years is a great guestimate. That's when, to me, it started to become blatant at times - like tackles taking a full step back before the snap. But now, as someone pointed out, it's just about every game. I stopped paying attention to it and just kind of accepted it.

Also - as someone else pointed out on this thread - they have become very lax on delay of game calls. And yet you see teams still wasting time outs because they're not ready. As a friend of mine pointed out this past week, you never saw Unitas or any of those guys calling their own plays having to call time out because they didn't know what the play was.

Also like others have pointed out -- that V-formation is very advantageous to the offense. And seeing some line formations during this weekend's games -- it looked like high school at times. On one play, it honestly looked like a slot receiver was lined up in the neutral zone because some of the offensive linemen were so far back.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Brian wolf wrote:Have you guys noticed that the officials never measure for close first downs?
The coaches never demand a measurement and the officials seem to follow the tv lines--which are supposed to be unofficial-- as if they are law ? ... I blame the coaches for not demanding measurements ...
I think this has more to do with there being about 700 camera angles now for coaches to relay messages about if they are short or not from the booth. Information is more readily available than it was years ago. Also, coaches likely care less about if they are 6" or 1 yard short of a first down due to analytics telling them to go for it on 4th down in certain situations regardless of the distance short. To be honest, measuring for a first down always seemed...odd. You know what yard line you have to get to, are you there? Yes or no? And if not...you can pretty much tell how short you are.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Glad to hear from you again, Hail Casares but if the television line is unofficial since when did referees make it official? Even this past weekend, there were a lot of close plays that would have been measured by the referees from real coaches from the past. I understand what you're saying but coaches now are too lazy to put the officials on the spot. Maybe the game is still considered too long and the league and networks feel measurements prolong them? If the HC has that right to demand it, then they need to do it, if not for certainty and morale ...
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Brian wolf wrote:Glad to hear from you again, Hail Casares but if the television line is unofficial since when did referees make it official? Even this past weekend, there were a lot of close plays that would have been measured by the referees from real coaches from the past. I understand what you're saying but coaches now are too lazy to put the officials on the spot. Maybe the game is still considered too long and the league and networks feel measurements prolong them? If the HC has that right to demand it, then they need to do it, if not for certainty and morale ...
Huh? I never said the officials were using the TV line. I was saying the coaches in the box and on the field have all kinds of angles. I'm not even saying they are using the TV line. I'm just saying there are more eyes on the game ever before from everywhere and it's easier to tell.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks ... those links help somewhat ...