Bills-Bengals game “no contest”

Citizen

Re: Bills-Bengals game “no contest”

Post by Citizen »

I'm not sure that "this is how it was handled in more barbaric times, so that's how it should be handled now" is the strongest card to play here.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Ken Crippen wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote: I don't see why it would have been so bad to push the start of the playoffs back one week and eliminate the "bye" week before the Super Bowl.
They were not going to push it a week because they have their flag football game the week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.
Lol. I'm pretty certain that flag football game is small potatoes compared to Bills/Bengals and the impacts it had on playoff implications. Apparently, the owners and league decided on an alternative.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I disagree on Rozelle. Had he been commissioner, this game would have continued after 10-15 minutes. Shill for the owners or not, Rozelle allowed for a violent game and wouldnt have stopped it knowing sponsors and networks were paying for it ...

Ratings numbers, money or not, this sport is dying a slow death but older fans may have said the same thing 30 years ago ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio possibly opened a can of worms today suggesting that with a potential Bills-Chiefs neutral site AFC Championship -- in Atlanta, IF the two teams can make it that far--the NFL could perhaps gauge interest toward FUTURE neutral-site conference championship games, obviously for factors other than the home fans of the team that makes it that far.

Its doubtful this would happen, but you never know with the NFL. It would be disastrous if teams that won their division, got the homefield playoff games and deserved to host a championship game in front of their fans somehow got cheated out of this right, to play in another city and stadium. Dont do it NFL ... there have been enough playoff changes already, including adding a seventh playoff team each conference.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I just can't believe the Bills players saw one of their own die *twice* on the field, and they should be expected to just scrape him off the turf and keep playing as if nothing happened ... I hope my friends and family hold me in higher regard.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JeffreyMiller wrote:I just can't believe the Bills players saw one of their own die *twice* on the field, and they should be expected to just scrape him off the turf and keep playing as if nothing happened ... I hope my friends and family hold me in higher regard.
Sounds like a scene out of Any Given Sunday....
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

From RULE 17 - EMERGENCIES, UNFAIR ACTS in the OFFICIAL PLAYING RULES OF THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

ARTICLE 4. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS. The NFL affirms the position that in most circumstances all regular-season and postseason games should be played to their conclusion. If, in the opinion of appropriate League authorities, it is impossible to begin or continue a game due to an emergency, or a game is deemed to be imminently threatened by any such emergency (e.g., severely inclement weather, lightning, flooding, power failure), the following procedures (Articles 5 through 11) will serve as guidelines for the Commissioner and/or his duly appointed representatives. The Commissioner has the authority to review the circumstances of each emergency and to adjust the following procedures in whatever manner he deems appropriate. If, in the Commissioner’s opinion, it is reasonable to project that the resumption of an interrupted game would not change its ultimate result or adversely affect any other inter-team competitive issue, he is empowered to terminate the game.

ARTICLE 5. LEAGUE AUTHORITY. The League employees vested with the authority to define emergencies under these procedures are the Commissioner, designated representatives from his League office staff, and the game Referee. In those instances where neither the Commissioner nor his designated representative is in attendance at a game, the Referee will have sole authority; provided, however, that if the Referee delays the beginning of or interrupts a game for a significant period of time due to an emergency, he must make every effort to contact the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designated representative for consultation. In all cases of significant delay, the League authorities will consult with the management of the participating clubs and will attempt to obtain appropriate information from outside sources, if applicable (e.g., weather bureau, police).

ARTICLE 6. LATER DATE. If, because of an emergency, a regular-season or postseason game is not started at its scheduled time and cannot be played at any later time that same day, the game nevertheless must be played on a subsequent date to be determined by the Commissioner.

ARTICLE 7. PRE-GAME THREAT. If there is deemed to be a threat of an emergency that may occur during the playing of a game (e.g., an incoming tropical storm), the starting time of such game will not be moved to an earlier time unless there is clearly sufficient time to make an orderly change.

ARTICLE 8. INTERRUPTED GAME. If, under emergency circumstances, an interrupted regular-season or post-season game cannot be completed on the same day, such game will be rescheduled by the Commissioner and resumed at that point.

ARTICLE 9. ALTERNATE DATES, SITES. In instances under these emergency procedures which require the Commissioner to reschedule a regular-season game, he will make every effort to set the game for no later than two days after its originally scheduled date, and he will attempt to schedule the game at its original site. If unable to do so, he will schedule it at the nearest available facility. If it is impossible to schedule the game within two days after its original date, the Commissioner will attempt to schedule it on the Tuesday of the next calendar week in which the two involved clubs play other clubs (or each other). Further, the Commissioner will keep in mind the potential for competitive inequities if one or both of the involved clubs has already been scheduled for a game following the Tuesday of that week (e.g., Thanksgiving).

ARTICLE 10. POSTSEASON INTERRUPTION. If an emergency interrupts a postseason game and such game cannot be resumed on that same date, the Commissioner will make every effort to arrange for its completion as soon as possible. If unable to schedule the game at the same site, he will select an appropriate alternate site. He will terminate the game short of completion only, if in his judgment, the continuation of the game would not be normally expected to alter the ultimate result.

ARTICLE 11. GAME RESUMPTION. In all instances where a game is resumed after interruption, either on the same date or a subsequent date, the resumption will begin at the point at which the game was interrupted. At the time of interruption, the Referee will call time out and he will make a record of the following: the team possessing the ball, direction in which its offense was headed, position of the ball on the field, down, distance, period, time remaining in the period, and any other pertinent information required for an efficient and equitable resumption of play.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I hate to beat a dead horse but it would be nice if the Jags or Bengals win an upset this weekend so there is no potential matchup in Atlanta ... With advance neutral site ticket sales selling briskly, the NFL may still try this "format" in the future and fans of perennial contenders need to boycott beyond this year or they may lose their team for future conference championship games at home. If the Chiefs and Bills deservedly advance, this should only happen this year but we will see ...
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:I just can't believe the Bills players saw one of their own die *twice* on the field, and they should be expected to just scrape him off the turf and keep playing as if nothing happened ... I hope my friends and family hold me in higher regard.
Nascar they keep going on accidents as well as deaths. Maybe it's somewhat expected?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Bengals righted a wrong ... The NFL needs to also forget about neutral conference championship games ...