Bills-Bengals game “no contest”

Brian wolf

Re: Bills-Bengals game “no contest”

Post by Brian wolf »

Fairness aside, bettors shouldnt assume that the Bills, Bengals and Chiefs will win their games to enact these possible scenarios. Upsets will happen and then the playoff seedings will proceed.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

They finished the contests:

August 16, 1920 - Ray Chapman (MLB)
October 24, 1971 - Chuck Hughes (NFL)
August 11, 1991 - J.D. McDuffie (NASCAR)

This is only a sample. In auto racing, quite a few men have died and they still finished the contests. I can’t think of a single competitor who would tell others not to finish a contest without them if something terrible might happen. When he regained consciousness, Hamlin, too, assumed the Bills had finished the game.

Something essential has changed in our society to think that you can’t finish a contest because of a tragedy during the contest. I respect the idea that people have feelings but we also have responsibilities that go beyond the moment. I have nothing to lose or gain from that Bills-Bengals game and I had no real interest in even watching it in the first place, but I’ll never understand not taking a short break, regrouping, praying, etc., and then finishing the same day. Something happened in that locker room. I believe an emotionally poisonous personality made it impossible for team leadership to pull everyone together.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

[quote="Lee Elder")
IMHO, you are ignoring the feelings of the other team. Cincinnati's players did not want to continue either. Hamlin left the stadium with his life still hanging in the balance and nobody on either team wanted to play.[/quote]

Good point. Why would Bengals players be any less impacted by what happened on the field? It's common humanity.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

RyanChristiansen wrote:One of Hamlin’s first questions for doctors: “Did we win?”

I rest my case. The Bills should be embarrassed. The only champion on that team is Hamlin.
On waking, I don't think Hamlin was able yet to grasp the severity of the situation. He probably didn't even know what day it was.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Bob Gill wrote:What about the people who attended the Monday night game? Do they get their money back?
The players are now so flush with money that they didn’t even consider that they had a responsibility to the spectators who paid to watch, the broadcasters who paid to air the game, and to the whole economic ecosystem surrounding the contest. They chose to make the situation about themselves. Everything they do now is self-centered from the fashion walk into the stadium to the little celebrations after every tackle, catch, etc., to the well-crafted tweet after the game. What we saw in this situation is the culmination of a fan base that promotes this kind of self-centered behavior.

Would the players in the late 1940s have reacted the same way? Not a chance.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Bob Gill wrote:What about the people who attended the Monday night game? Do they get their money back?
I asked my cousin, who was at the game, that question and I have yet to hear from her.
I am assuming the answer is no.

Or, as the First Rule of Acquisition (Star Trek) clearly states:
Once you have their money never give it back.

Upon further review:
The Bengals web site says they are refunding tickets bough individually and "crediting" season ticket holders for the cost of the game and parking...
I would guess "crediting" means against next season's tickets...
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

JuggernautJ wrote:Upon further review:
The Bengals web site says they are refunding tickets bough individually and "crediting" season ticket holders for the cost of the game and parking...
I would guess "crediting" means against next season's tickets...
Well, that's not unreasonable. It's pretty much the same as in baseball, where if a game is rained out in the second inning you get a rain check good for another game.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JohnR wrote:
RyanChristiansen wrote:One of Hamlin’s first questions for doctors: “Did we win?”

I rest my case. The Bills should be embarrassed. The only champion on that team is Hamlin.
On waking, I don't think Hamlin was able yet to grasp the severity of the situation. He probably didn't even know what day it was.
The severity of Hamlin's situation at this point is likely far less than that of Daryl Stingley and many other such situations.

At this point should the game have been picked up again and completed? Probably?
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

sluggermatt15 wrote: I don't see why it would have been so bad to push the start of the playoffs back one week and eliminate the "bye" week before the Super Bowl.
They were not going to push it a week because they have their flag football game the week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

First-and-foremost, let's all be glad that our Prayers were answered and Damar Hamlin is in recovery mode!

Now as for the game being post-poned? It's simply sign-of-the-times. In a past era, even with Goodell as commish, the game would not have been post-poned, right or wrong. And even if Rozelle were commish today, the game would have still been post-poned/cancelled.

As for this 'neutral field' stuff...I'm not for it. You simply go by %-age-points; that's the breaks! KC won yesterday so they're #1-seed throughout, AFCC included. And had they lost, then Buffalo has a chance to be #1 throughout instead. And this 'coin-flip' if Ravens beat Bengals? C'mon!