Ken Stabler VS Steve Young

Brian wolf

Re: Ken Stabler VS Steve Young

Post by Brian wolf »

I respectfully dont agree Bryan ... Had Young went to another team, he still would have tried to run first over passing and wouldnt have had the coaching, system and talent to succeed like he did in SF. He would have been different with a more average line because I believe the line he had in SF later, was better than what Montana had. His emotional nature, needed to be more harnessed in the SF system. I dont believe another team, would have had the surrounding talent to do that.
Ness

Post by Ness »

Bryan wrote:I think Steve Young maximized his great supporting cast, whereas Stabler at times was the reason his team lost. But...other than his two wacky runs, Young wasn't really a part of 'great moments in NFL history', while Stabler had several great moments.
Steve Young's game-winning TD pass to Terrell Owens in the 1998 NFC Wild Card game is one of the hallmarks of NFL history, and a staple of NFL Films. I'd also say his Super Bowl 29 performance, the best in the NFL history counts as a signature NFL moment. It's the epitome of greatness, even if it lacked in-game drama.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Brian wolf wrote:I respectfully dont agree Bryan ... Had Young went to another team, he still would have tried to run first over passing and wouldnt have had the coaching, system and talent to succeed like he did in SF. He would have been different with a more average line because I believe the line he had in SF later, was better than what Montana had. His emotional nature, needed to be more harnessed in the SF system. I dont believe another team, would have had the surrounding talent to do that.
Young did have a lot of talent with him in San Fran. But what about if Young went to Green Bay and Steve Mariucci or Andy Reid was the QB coach?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Youre right Sonny9 but lets say Young was too competitive to back up Montana and decided to leave around 89 or 90, who could have coached him properly and where? Holmgren was perfect for him with both coming from Brigham Young. I know Philly wanted him but did Buddy Ryan, who never developed an offensive line ?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With his running ability and having Allen and Jackson on the roster, Young might have thrived with the Raiders but they had a bazooka arm with Schroeder and Marinovich was supposed to be their next Ken Stabler but he had too many emotional issues. Being lefties, Young might have been the ideal mentor for him ...
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Ness wrote:
Bryan wrote:I think Steve Young maximized his great supporting cast, whereas Stabler at times was the reason his team lost. But...other than his two wacky runs, Young wasn't really a part of 'great moments in NFL history', while Stabler had several great moments.
Steve Young's game-winning TD pass to Terrell Owens in the 1998 NFC Wild Card game is one of the hallmarks of NFL history, and a staple of NFL Films. I'd also say his Super Bowl 29 performance, the best in the NFL history counts as a signature NFL moment. It's the epitome of greatness, even if it lacked in-game drama.
Yeah, but it was his only such play, and some QBs have more than one such play. Even including his 6 TD Super Bowl his postseason stats were not that great compared to his regular season stats.

So I would say that while he was capable of making a big game ending play, he wasn't so much a resourceful scrapper and was more of a "talent" that needed to be babied a bit in order to perform well.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I have always wondered what may have happened had the Giants Erik Howard not split a double team and forced Roger Craig to fumble in the 1990 NFC Championship game? With Joe knocked out and Young throwing an excellent pass to Brent Jones in Giants territory, the Niners tried to eat the clock and kick a game clinching FG before Craig fumbled. Had the Niners gotten the win, imagine Young starting the SB in his former stadium, the Big Sombrero ...
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote:I have always wondered what may have happened had the Giants Erik Howard not split a double team and forced Roger Craig to fumble in the 1990 NFC Championship game?...
In my opinion, Threepeat happens.
And probably the fewest punts in a Super Bowl...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think Young would have gotten the three-peat in a low scoring SB against Buffalo with both pass rushers, Bruce Smith and Charles Haley having big games ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Ness wrote:Steve Young's game-winning TD pass to Terrell Owens in the 1998 NFC Wild Card game is one of the hallmarks of NFL history, and a staple of NFL Films.
I think that's a bit of an oversell. It was just a wild card game, the refs Rob Lytle'd an obvious Jerry Rice fumble that would have ended the game in the Packers' favor, and the Niners promptly lost the following week to the Falcons (Steve Young 1TD, 3 INT). The game had no greater impact, other than perhaps helping launch the HC 'career' of one of the dumbest coaches ever, Marty Mohrningweg. It was a nice throw by Young and an exciting play, but I'm not seeing any greater historical significance.