Your opinion on my #1 dream SB matchup 2000 Ravens/Rams

Ness

Your opinion on my #1 dream SB matchup 2000 Ravens/Rams

Post by Ness »

This is a SB I really wanted to see, but alas it didn't happen. I hate the Rams, but that 1999-2001 squad was just marvelous on offense. The 2000 campaign was clearly the weakest due in large part to their defense that just completely fell off from the previous year. However their offense, at least before Warner got hurt, was making their lackluster defense irrelevant as they simply stomping on folks the first 6 or so games of the year.

The 2000 Ravens are my favorite defense of all time. Yeah I know, they had a cakewalk schedule of opposing passers, and their pass defense was good, but not great. However, their run defense is probably the best ever. In addition Ray Lewis just seem to be able to galvanize his teammates to play at their best. Loved that linebacker group with Lewis, Sharper, and Boulware.

If the Rams had managed to make it past New Orleans, the Vikings, and I guess the Giants all the way to the Super Bowl where they'd face the Ravens, who would you think wins? I go back, and forth on it in my hypothetical headscape all the time.
Brian wolf

Re: Your opinion on my #1 dream SB matchup 2000 Ravens/Rams

Post by Brian wolf »

A great potential matchup but how would Warner's thumb react ? Can the Rams, especially on special teams with Hakim avoid turnovers ? Could Dilfer maintain his poise against the Ram pass rush ?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

If the Rams had that same defense they did in '99, then a Rams victory IMO (I think the 2001 Rams beat the 2000 Ravens as well). But that obviously wasn't the case, a very weak D they had in '00; and they no longer had Vermeil. Whereas the '99 Rams had more-than enough of a defense to complement that 'Greatest Show', I feel that once those losing/TD-less streaks were out the way, the '00 Ravens' offense was more-than enough as well to go with that D. Maybe Dilfer is the weakest SB-winning-QB of all-time (sadly, someone has to be in that spot), but I really don't think that he - nor that overall offense (again, once those streaks were out the way) - was really all that bad down the stretch. Jamal Lewis...Shannon Sharpe...OGDEN...yeah, not too shabby. And the leadership that Dilfer brought shouldn't really be ignored.

Yes, that scary start by those '00 Rams. And I remember the SI cover story on it as well. 'Greatest Show' was looking even-greater than they did the previous year. But despite that defense, and both Warner and Faulk being out, they do deal NYG a convincer at the Meadowlands. 28-7 at the half en route to a 38-24 final score. G-men were dominated in first downs and time of possession as well (I keep forgetting that Trent Green was still with the Rams in '00). And then StL goes on a three-game skid; and lose yet another game penultimate week on MNF at Tampa Bay in an underrated, 38-35, Classic.

Such an irony in that Jim Mora was the much stronger HC, yet its Haslett who instead leads Saints to their first-ever playoff victory (same with Jim being a much stronger HC than his own son yet 'L' makes it to a CCG).
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Peyton 2015 was likely worse than Trent Dilfer 2000. Peyton absolutely fell off a cliff, it's a miracle they won a SB with him. Dilfer probably did more for the Ravens than Peyton did for the Broncos.

The one thing Dilfer could do is make a big throw now and again, I think that suited the Ravens more than Tony Banks. Dilfer had worse ball security, but he managed to not turn the ball over in the playoffs, even if one in the SB was called back because of a penalty.

Mostly I think the way to beat the Ravens was to play ball control and hope you win the field position and ball control battle. That's where Dilfer held the Ravens back, they were only an average offense and could be beat that way. So I don't favor the Rams much here, I think they would turn the ball over early, the Ravens get points that way, the Rams can't catch up.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Jay Z wrote:Peyton 2015 was likely worse than Trent Dilfer 2000. Peyton absolutely fell off a cliff, it's a miracle they won a SB with him. Dilfer probably did more for the Ravens than Peyton did for the Broncos.

The one thing Dilfer could do is make a big throw now and again, I think that suited the Ravens more than Tony Banks. Dilfer had worse ball security, but he managed to not turn the ball over in the playoffs, even if one in the SB was called back because of a penalty.

Mostly I think the way to beat the Ravens was to play ball control and hope you win the field position and ball control battle. That's where Dilfer held the Ravens back, they were only an average offense and could be beat that way. So I don't favor the Rams much here, I think they would turn the ball over early, the Ravens get points that way, the Rams can't catch up.
Whoever actually was better between '00 Dilfer and '15 Manning, you definitely got a point! I should have thought of that. Because he was...Peyton Manning, and because he was still in Pro Bowl form (if however just merely all of a sudden) for at least most of the previous season, you may get the feeling that most other QBs would not have been given back their job. Against a plain old QB who had yet to establish a legacy, Oss keeps his job - especially after beating Brady in Week #12! It was pointed out here previously how Elway (a QB himself who won himself a couple Rings once he was made to "not do everything") stepped in and didn't allow Peyton to "run the show" as he was allowed to in Indy.

But, perhaps, the 'power' of Peyton was still present going into those '15 playoffs without he having to say nor convey a thing. Just the simple fear of possibly making the wrong decision in keeping in Brock over a future-1st-Ballot-HOFer during a SB-run is what put #18 back in. And I think it ended up being the better decision anyway even if not by much. Peyton, like Dilfer 15 years earlier, made just enough key plays in those playoffs that maybe Oss would not have made thus making the difference between winning a Lombardi and not winning one. Still, though it was Wade and his D which more-than ruled the day, each of the two QBs should wear their '15 Rings proudly and each get some credit.