Historical list of transactions?

Oszuscik

Historical list of transactions?

Post by Oszuscik »

I'm throwing up a longshot, but I wanted to see what might come back. Does anyone here know of any online resources or databases that have tracked NFL transactions on a daily basis going back in time? I've found random web pages, like this from the Associated Press, but haven't found a page where you can actually search by specific dates.

https://apnews.com/article/113a985b4d1e ... c0a1856809

Thanks!
Jay Z

Re: Historical list of transactions?

Post by Jay Z »

I think there's a site called Pro Sports Transactions.

Pro Football Reference has transactions going back to 1994 or so.

Both of these sites may be incomplete. Depends what you are looking for, regular season or pre-season. Trades, players moving on or off inactive lists. Pre-season rosters would be the toughest as there's often no complete source. Rosters as of the start of training camp are good. Media guides contained pre-season rosters, sometimes they are fairly complete, sometimes not. If you want to find when a player was cut during the pre-season, gets harder the farther back you go and is dependent upon the team. The Chicago Bears were notorious for not announcing cuts when George Halas was actively involved with the team.

If you want to know something specific from the 1960s or 1970s, I have my own research. Let me know.
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

Jay Z wrote:I think there's a site called Pro Sports Transactions.

Both of these sites may be incomplete. Depends what you are looking for, regular season or pre-season. Trades, players moving on or off inactive lists. Pre-season rosters would be the toughest as there's often no complete source. Rosters as of the start of training camp are good. Media guides contained pre-season rosters, sometimes they are fairly complete, sometimes not. If you want to find when a player was cut during the pre-season, gets harder the farther back you go and is dependent upon the team. The Chicago Bears were notorious for not announcing cuts when George Halas was actively involved with the team.

If you want to know something specific from the 1960s or 1970s, I have my own research. Let me know.
Thank you! Pro Sports Transactions seems to be an excellent resource, more or less exactly what I was looking for. What I was most interested in finding were the dates that draft picks actually signed with their team. There's a few guys from the 70's, such as Larry McCarren, Mark Koncar, and Mike C. McCoy, that I was unable to find, but in most cases this site seems to have that information. Thanks for the suggestion!
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Oszuscik wrote:

Thank you! Pro Sports Transactions seems to be an excellent resource, more or less exactly what I was looking for. What I was most interested in finding were the dates that draft picks actually signed with their team. There's a few guys from the 70's, such as Larry McCarren, Mark Koncar, and Mike C. McCoy, that I was unable to find, but in most cases this site seems to have that information. Thanks for the suggestion!
I've found Pro Sports Transactions to be very helpful in this regard.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

In the case of the three players you mention, the archives of the Green Bay Press-Gazette turned up nothing about when they signed with the Packers, and if the P-G didn't report it, it's likely that nobody did.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

Oszuscik wrote:

Have you tried contacting the players. They might have saved copies of their contracts. I believe McCarren and Koncar are still alive.
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

Citizen wrote:In the case of the three players you mention, the archives of the Green Bay Press-Gazette turned up nothing about when they signed with the Packers, and if the P-G didn't report it, it's likely that nobody did.
That was the route I was taking before I decided to ask for help on here, and you're right I didn't have any luck either with old newspapers. Both Koncar and McCoy were from the same draft class, and I think (haven't looked in awhile) they both had to miss Packers training camp for the College All-Star game. I saw articles that mentioned they'd be signed soon after the game, or something like that, but no luck on an exact date.
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

John Grasso wrote:
Oszuscik wrote:

Have you tried contacting the players. They might have saved copies of their contracts. I believe McCarren and Koncar are still alive.
I hadn't considered that, but that might be worth a try. McCarren is a member of the Packers team media, so getting in touch with him could be doable. I may go ahead and give that a shot.