2022 Week 2 impressions

racepug

2022 Week 2 impressions

Post by racepug »

Shockers: comebacks by MIA (what a humiliation for BAL!), ARZ, and the NYJ. JAX wiping IND out, 24 - 0.

Surprises (not at quite the same level as "shockers"): that Tua and J. Hurts played so well; that ATL nearly came all the way back vs. the LAR, and that CIN lost to the NFC entry based in TX. The Bengals look like they're suffering some sort of "Super Bowl hangover" but to lose to a team QB'ed by Cooper Rush?!? Embarrassing.

Not sure what to make of: MIN 23 - 7 G.B. from Week 1 and then PHI 24 - 7 MIN from Week 2 except to state that I'm (quickly) losing faith in the Packers winning another S.B. before Aaron Rodgers retires.

No surprise: that the Seahawks have generated NO POINTS on offense since scoring 17 against DEN in the first half in the season's first Monday Night game. I expect the Seahawks to be in contention for the #1 draft pick next spring (but I don't think they'll be quite bad enough to get it - of course).

The Raiders should be absolutely embarrassed that they blew a 20-point halftime lead to the team that Kansas City destroyed in Week 1. Though the Broncos haven't impressed me in the least I hold to my pre-season prediction that the Raiyy-daahhhhs will finish last in the AFC West.

Early days, yes, but the Buffalo Bills are certainly, up to this point, looking like a justified S.B. favorite.

Coaches already on the "hot seat": Matt Rhule, Frank Reich, and even though his team (somehow) managed to win yesterday: Kliff Kingsbury. In fact, if I were inclined to bet, Kliff Kingsbury is the guy that I'd bet loses his job, first, of any on my (short) list.
Reaser

Re: 2022 Week 2 impressions

Post by Reaser »

I remember posting it a few years ago, maybe all the way back to the night of the "28-3" Super Bowl, but it was about how no one should be surprised about large, quick, late, 4th quarter, etc., "comebacks." Of course, can include shouldn't be surprised by almost comebacks, too. That's part of the NFL now, well not even now, it's been that way. It should just be viewed more in the context of results, of if it's surprising or not. e.g. if an offense like the 2022 Week 2 Seahawks were down 21 points to a team like the 2022 Weeks 1&2 Bills in the 2nd half and came back and won, that would be surprising. Equal (bad v. bad, avg v avg, good v. good) comebacks, aren't surprising. Happen too often. Almost like it's modeled after the NBA where the first 3 and a half quarters don't matter. A rubber-band around the games to close the margin.

Same as last week, picked 10 winners, so the 6 I was wrong are naturally what would/should be "surprising," to me.

Wrong:

Chargers-Chiefs: Not surprising KC won. Early but I may have been completely wrong thinking it was time for a down year for the Chiefs. Just have had that feeling. Doesn't look like it, so far, but long way to go. Plus, the Chargers threw the game away, to an extent. Or phrased differently, Everett did whatever he was doing, he wasn't running any sort of route.

Giants-Panthers: Not surprising, just picked wrong. Does feel weird, record wise, that the Giants are 2-0.

Colts-Jaguars: The Colts looked awful, offensively. Were missing receivers and have been missing their best player on defense. So haven't seen their real team yet. But still, not looking good. Then again, sort of like last week with the Patriots down in Miami. The Colts in Jacksonville ... that happens. It's a thing.

Ravens-Dolphins: Crazy game. Lamar was in MVP form. Tua was Tua in the first half, then he was the Tua he's long been crowned to be but has never really been, until in the "comeback." Which again, not surprising that happens. Though, can agree it was interesting to see from the Dolphins, from Tua, and against the Ravens. Lot of speed at WR and they aren't just fast guys, even small both come down with contested and jump balls.

Bengals-Cowboys: Obviously surprising. It does feel like if Dak was healthy the Cowboys wouldn't have won that game. Which in no way saying Rush is better than Dak but still, has that feeling, to me. Cowboys defense was good but probably looked that much better because the Bengals are a little off. Only week 2, though. Two winnable games that they manged to not win.

Raiders-Cardinals: Another "it's not surprising that team's come back" game. Kyler ran around, Renfrow kept fumbling in OT, Murphy (UW!) scooped-and-scored. That they came back isn't surprising, but the result of Cardinals beating Raiders is, to me.

Agree with OP that it was surprising to see Tua play that well -- helped by a couple blown coverages/wide-open recievers, but still, he made some plays, too.

Though, not surprised at Hurts. Eagles are a popular pick by many to be pretty good this year, starting with Hurts. Seems it's going as expected, so far. Only difference between week 1 and 2 was that week 1 had the 'rubber-banding' previously mentioned; Lions scored 14 4th quarter points to the Eagles 0 and the score ended close but the majority of the game wasn't. Week 2, same thing could have easily happened except Cousins ignored open receivers and went with the throw it up and pray strategy so a clear 24-7 Final instead of say, 24-21 and some narrative about the Eagles almost losing both games instead of the actuality of them being a clearly better team than the Lions and Vikings.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I had to work all day on Sunday. But when saw the Ravens up, 28-7, at the half, I knew Miami would come back! I could just feel it. Bills may win this week vs Miami, and may win division and top-seed, but in the very end I'm sticking with the Dolphins...(well you know)...

Broncos lose to Seattle and then barely beat Texans at home; but I'm still going to stick with them winning their division while flirting with top-seed throughout.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As a fan, I thought the 49ers were extremely lucky/wise to hold onto Jimmy Garoppolo.
Events have proved that to be the case (so far).

Not to besmirch Trey Lance at all but the Niners seemed better and to have better morale with Jimmy G. at the helm.
This may turn out to be a (somewhat) Earl Morrall-like situation (a season saved by a back-up QB).
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Biggest blown lead in Raider history. Raider D made them work for it...this one's on the offense.