Baltimore and the 1970 Colts

sheajets

Baltimore and the 1970 Colts

Post by sheajets »

I've always wondered what Baltimore and that fan base thought about that team?

To me it seems like it's one of the few Super Bowl clubs that's really not all that cherished or remembered...the season is not really looked upon fondly as some incredible special year unfolding. The Super Bowl itself, though it came down to the wire, was regularly lampooned as being a terribly played game (The Blunder Bowl)

Was the sting of Super Bowl III, the trauma of that so heavy that it still weighed on Colts fans minds two years later as they defeated Dallas to win SB V? Usually when a team wins big before losing big there is a sense of...ok all is forgiven. The pain of that crushing defeat is alleviated some. To me thought it seemed like this did none of that. And that the city and the fans didn't really rally around and embrace that team as much as you'd expect.

You had some familiar faces from 69 still there, but also plenty of new ones. Roy Jefferson, Eddie Hinton (not on the 68 team) Bulaich, Billy Newsome....and of course a new coach.
Bryan

Re: Baltimore and the 1970 Colts

Post by Bryan »

Tangentially related, but the 70 Colts episode of America's Game was my favorite in the series. I remember at the end when the players (Curtis, Bubba Smith, Curry) are rehashing the Super Bowl, they all said that "we played terrible, Dallas played worse, we ended up winning, but it didn't erase the memory of Super Bowl III."
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yeah, those players are still upset about the Jets win from that America's Game broadcast. The city still cant get the first official Lombardi Trophy because the Frontiere family has it.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I bet a lot of Colts fans assumed they'd be kings of the AFL east for quite a while. If they'd still had Shula maybe they would have?
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Brian wolf wrote:Yeah, those players are still upset about the Jets win from that America's Game broadcast. The city still cant get the first official Lombardi Trophy because the Frontiere family has it.
Sad to hear that, though that trophy was won by the franchise, which up and left the city along with whatever hardware it won. I don't know if they really have a case here...though you feel for the fans. I would like to see the NFL give the old Baltimore fans something official from the league to commemorate that Super Bowl with.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think the city of Baltimore actually has a case ... If they could just convince pillhead Jim Irsay to go after the trophy that Rosenbloom basically stole from his father. Two fast moves pulled off by Carroll on Bob, the team and the 1970 Trophy. Doesnt mean the younger Irsay wouldnt keep the actual trophy if the family were mandated to give it to him but I think if he actually made the effort to get it back, he would give it to the fans of Baltimore.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Brian wolf wrote:I think the city of Baltimore actually has a case ... If they could just convince pillhead Jim Irsay to go after the trophy that Rosenbloom basically stole from his father. Two fast moves pulled off by Carroll on Bob, the team and the 1970 Trophy. Doesnt mean the younger Irsay wouldnt keep the actual trophy if the family were mandated to give it to him but I think if he actually made the effort to get it back, he would give it to the fans of Baltimore.
I remember reading that Carroll Rosenbloom took the Super Bowl V Lombardi trophy to Los Angeles with him. He kept it on display in his Bel Air home. I have wondered where it was, figures his descendants still have it.

Jim Irsay probably doesn't care since Irsay Sr. didn't own the Colts in 1970.
LeonardRachiele

Post by LeonardRachiele »

The AFC Championship Game in 1970 had the Colts hosting the Oakland Raiders. Early in the second quarter, the Colts grabbed a 10 to 0 lead. Bubba Smith and Roy Hilton then crashed into Daryl Lamonica, who was attempting to pass. With Lamonica's season over, in came George Blanda. The 43 year-old had quite a season pulling out five consecutive games. Today though the Raiders and Blanda ran out of miracles. Oakland was in a come from behind position all day. Blanda kicked a 48 yard field goal and the score was 10 to 3 at halftime. Mostly in the second half, Blanda completed 17 of 32 passes for 271 yards and two touchdowns. But today, the Raiders were always in a come from behind mode and it was too much to overcome. Final Baltimore 27 Oakland 17.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Brian wolf wrote:I think the city of Baltimore actually has a case ... If they could just convince pillhead Jim Irsay to go after the trophy that Rosenbloom basically stole from his father. Two fast moves pulled off by Carroll on Bob, the team and the 1970 Trophy. Doesnt mean the younger Irsay wouldnt keep the actual trophy if the family were mandated to give it to him but I think if he actually made the effort to get it back, he would give it to the fans of Baltimore.
I did an internet search and found another trophy was made for the Baltimore Colts after Rosenbloom took the original for himself. When the franchise moved to Indianapolis this trophy was given to Baltimore and is in a sports museum.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

SixtiesFan wrote:
I did an internet search and found another trophy was made for the Baltimore Colts after Rosenbloom took the original for himself. When the franchise moved to Indianapolis this trophy was given to Baltimore and is in a sports museum.
What about St. Louis and the Rams' trophy from 1999?