2022 NFL Predictions

Reaser

Re: 2022 NFL Predictions

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:
Reaser wrote:NYJ 3-14

SEA 6-11
Robert Saleh will not survive a worse season than last. Are you predicting he gets fired before or after Geno Smith throws for 355 yards and 4 touchdowns in Seattle's 38-3 win on New Year's Day?
Geno did get some time against the Jets the last time they were in Seattle late in the season, the 40-3 game in 2020.

I'm predicting the Jets will have 2 or 3 more wins than the 0 wins they had before and after that meeting.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Apologies to Jets Nation for the 3-14 guess! And, believe me, I'm always into NYJ being good ('81 Jets one of my all-time fave non-Steeler teams). And being that 40-year-old QBs aren't at all what they used to be (especially 37-year-old ones), I really should have given Matt Ryan more credit. But, you know what? I'm going to stick to my picks!

When you got a team (Bills) that I feel should be THE regular season juggernaut at least up until the AFCCG, and a team - in that very division (Dolphins)- that'll be the Super Bowl winner albeit as a wild card, and then a Belichick team as well...yes, just SIX divisional games out of seventeen total games; but...I don't know! I hope Jets win more games, but I'm not going to really change anything at risk of eating major crow. Heck, Ryan's Colts at...7-10 may be the biggest blunder of all (we'll see)! I never accused myself in the first place of being Jimmy the Greek and we all know I picked Fisher's Rams a few years back of being NFC top-seed! Miami coach, Spoelstra, looks like a kid, he won World Championships. Mike McD looks like a kid too. So WHY NOT my FWIW 'guess'!

The other one I think may be a mistake is Atlanta! That HC seems to so reek of toughness and swagger! One who may "refuse to lose". But it's too late. I'm sticking with it.

PS - and the fact that, IMO, a very knowledgeable person on this site who's an ex-HS-QB as well as being an even-more-knowledgeable and more study-some football guy who's a tad familiar with a region that wanderlust Yours Truly spent a "year-long" weekend in along with my childhood buddy residing there (marrying a Huskie) and us attending the "sail-gating (actually, the ONLY) Capitol" of college football a few times, also thinks that the Jets will also be 3-14 (not that either of us would actually want that of them), make me not want to change things. God Bless the Jets! Of COURSE I would like them to kick A! But...

Yes, clearly not as into NFL as I once was (as I already mentioned umpeenth times), but some of you here reminding me that last post-season was one of the better ones ever with no regards to era...Yes! Let's get ready for some FOOTBALL!

Even of Mike suffers his first EVER losing season (in 'Year One' after Ben)!
JWL

Post by JWL »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
PS - and the fact that, IMO, a very knowledgeable person on this site who's an ex-HS-QB as well as being an even-more-knowledgeable and more study-some football guy who's a tad familiar with a region that wanderlust Yours Truly spent a "year-long" weekend in along with my childhood buddy residing there (marrying a Huskie) and us attending the "sail-gating (actually, the ONLY) Capitol" of college football a few times, also thinks that the Jets will also be 3-14 (not that either of us would actually want that of them), make me not want to change things. God Bless the Jets! Of COURSE I would like them to kick A! But...
Eh, he's made as many wrong predictions as basically everybody else has made here through the years.
JWL

Post by JWL »

sheajets wrote:
JWL wrote:
Reaser wrote:NYJ 3-14

SEA 6-11

Robert Saleh will not survive a worse season than last. Are you predicting he gets fired before or after Geno Smith throws for 355 yards and 4 touchdowns in Seattle's 38-3 win on New Year's Day?
I'm personally not sold on him. I want to like him, to believe in him (much more a believer in Douglas though he's had his missteps...he has continued to get better in the role) Saleh even last year when we were bereft of talent and destroyed by injuries...too many games they just looked like they were not prepared from an x's and o's standpoint and not motivated emotionally. He just got outcoached too many weeks. With guys like Mangini...Rex, and neither took us to the promised land, but at least there were games where you could see the Jets coaching staff did their homework on the opposition and had a plan.

Last year...Patriots, Broncos, Falcons, Patriots AGAIN, Colts, Bills. Way too often the Jets looked Kotite level

The Jets might have had the worst talent in the league in 2021 and they still won 4 games and probably should have defeated Tampa Bay. 4-13 is a terrible record, of course, but if the Jets went 1-16 or 2-15 it probably would have been understandable. Noting that the Jets didn't look prepared is just opinion. The facts are the Jets had a rookie head coach, poor depth all over the roster, the 22 regular starters as a whole were not good relative to the other 31 teams, and they had a rookie quarterback make the majority of the starts. That is a recipe for a bad record and probably some games where the team may not "look" a certain way.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Geno Smith will win Comeback Player of the Year.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Todd Pence wrote:Geno Smith will win Comeback Player of the Year.
Don't you need a previous high to come back to win that award?
JWL

Post by JWL »

rhickok1109 wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:Geno Smith will win Comeback Player of the Year.
Don't you need a previous high to come back to win that award?
Being a starting quarterback for an 8-8 Jets team is a high. Seriously, though, I'm with you. I am not sure how Smith would win that award. Somebody like Christian McCaffrey is a more likely candidate.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

To update how you all (and myself) did:

Super Bowl Predictions
-Still Possible-
74_75_78_79: MIA over SF
Reaser: TB over BUF
racepug (sort of, picked multiple NFC teams): LAR/GB/TB v. BUF (TB v. BUF alive)

-Winner Only still Possible-
ChrisBabcock: BUF over LAR
Brian wolf: LAC over GB

-Loser Only still possible-
sheajets: GB over LAC

Division Champions
74_75_78_79, Reaser and sheajets all tied for most with 4 correct Division Champions
ChrisBabcock & racepug had 3 each.

Playoff Teams
sheajets had the most playoff teams correct with 10. Good job!
Reaser & ChrisBabcock each had 9
74_75_78_79 had 8

No one picked JAX to win the division, or even make the playoffs. Everyone had them in 3rd place. ChrisBabcock had them with the best record of anyone, at 7-10.

No one picked the NYG to make the playoffs, 74_75_78_79 had them highest in the standings finishing 2nd in the NFC East with a 8-9 record.

No one picked SEA to make the playoffs, Reaser had them with the most wins/best record at 6-11.

74_75_78_79 was the only one to have Miami in the playoffs. Good job!
racepug

Post by racepug »

SFO over SEA (at least the 49ers better win!)
JAX vs. the LAC - too close to call (for me, at least)
BUF over MIA
(upset alert!) the NYG over MIN
CIN over BAL (for the 2nd time in a matter of days. Which I think S-U-C-K-S)
And in TB12's last hurrah (maybe) T.B. in the upset over the NFC entry based in TX

Personally, I won't be watching much of this upcoming weekend's games. To me, 7 playoff teams per conference is too many. When teams hovering around 0.500 are clamoring for playoff spots there simply is something wrong with the setup, in my opinion.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Reaser wrote:To update how you all (and myself) did:

Super Bowl Predictions
-Still Possible-
74_75_78_79: MIA over SF
Reaser: TB over BUF
racepug (sort of, picked multiple NFC teams): LAR/GB/TB v. BUF (TB v. BUF alive)

-Winner Only still Possible-
ChrisBabcock: BUF over LAR
Brian wolf: LAC over GB

-Loser Only still possible-
sheajets: GB over LAC

Division Champions
74_75_78_79, Reaser and sheajets all tied for most with 4 correct Division Champions
ChrisBabcock & racepug had 3 each.

Playoff Teams
sheajets had the most playoff teams correct with 10. Good job!
Reaser & ChrisBabcock each had 9
74_75_78_79 had 8

No one picked JAX to win the division, or even make the playoffs. Everyone had them in 3rd place. ChrisBabcock had them with the best record of anyone, at 7-10.

No one picked the NYG to make the playoffs, 74_75_78_79 had them highest in the standings finishing 2nd in the NFC East with a 8-9 record.

No one picked SEA to make the playoffs, Reaser had them with the most wins/best record at 6-11.

74_75_78_79 was the only one to have Miami in the playoffs. Good job!
Winners take compliments, losers don't. Therefore, thanks for the kudos, Reaser! But my picks weren't exactly what I pictured although, yes, a win is a win!

Yes, I'm the only one here who thought Miami would make the playoffs but, sure enough, many here thought it wasn't a stretch. Wind blew in different direction, others here would have picked it as well. And my original guess was the Dolphins finishing a more-respectable wild card at 12 wins as opposed to...9-8 via winning an ugly finale vs an also-struggling team as they, themselves, were struggling down-the-stretch. Earlier this season, that exact prediction was looking more spot-on. Very hard, at this point, to picture them suddenly making 2011 G-men out of themselves. I still feel Mike McD reeks heavy-duty potential as one of these young up-and-coming coaches a la McVay and Kyle. Jimmy Johnson himself is also a big believer in him. But maybe next year or slightly beyond is when the very young-looking Spoelstra-clone will come into that kind of form.

San Francisco? Yes, I picked them as a top-seed Super Bowl rep for the NFC! But I was thinking Lance as their QB! Maybe (just maybe) I would have still picked them had (good-enough) Jimmy G still been their guy, but never a 'Mr Irrelevant' whose name - or story - I didn't even know before the season began! But, DAMN, they are SO looking even MORE like that very SB-rep as well as a likely WINNER of that game as well!

Now though the Lions and my Steelers didn't make the playoffs, I have to un-modestly give myself credit for I guessed that both would start slow only to each come back and each have have winning seasons! I can't possibly sell myself short of that (false modesty is worse than conceit, and by a noticeable margin)!

Another solid pick was #6 Ravens playing at #3 Bengals (AGAIN) in the 1st-Round! Now will Ravens get "last laugh"? Eh, not looking so sure now.

At the risk of eating crow which I am SO not afraid of at this point, Dolphins clearly DON'T make it to 'Zona after all! I'm thinking '81 and '88 each revisited! Yes, Forty Niners and BENGALS (I think I felt that last January as well; I forgot)! Cincy is going to play the unfairness card with these weird sudden potential tiebreaker rules to simply rise-up through the conference! They did it last year as a mere-as-hell 10-7 team, so WHY NOT as an even-BETTER division-winner here in 2022?? More-balanced than KC and Buf! Wouldn't you agree?
racepug wrote:SFO over SEA (at least the 49ers better win!)
JAX vs. the LAC - too close to call (for me, at least)
BUF over MIA
(upset alert!) the NYG over MIN
CIN over BAL (for the 2nd time in a matter of days. Which I think S-U-C-K-S)
And in TB12's last hurrah (maybe) T.B. in the upset over the NFC entry based in TX

Personally, I won't be watching much of this upcoming weekend's games. To me, 7 playoff teams per conference is too many. When teams hovering around 0.500 are clamoring for playoff spots there simply is something wrong with the setup, in my opinion.
Well, I've ALREADY given my opinion on the whole (since-2002; AND 2020) current divisional/playoff format! So not repeating myself.

Giants-over-Vikings? Hmm...VERY interesting!! Nice one, actually.

I would have never thought that, at first, if only because I wouldn't have felt that G-men would have the fire-power to upset them in Minny. As awesome as Saquon is, still not enough. But...these '22 Vikings quite a weird team! They beat the Bills at Rich yet are still, actually, DOGS at home vs 'good' Dallas the following week. Vegas knows best for 'Boys belt them by a score of...40-3!! Not to mention some other weird defeats by this, apparently, 'great' team! And they allow the Colts, at home, to go up 33-0 at the half! They REEK of 'choke'!

And I do like that brand-new (ALSO part of the 'young'-crowd) HC of theirs! And I no longer hold Kirk's old rep against him. Cousins IS real (or, at least, real ENOUGH). Kirk nor this HC will be the 'reason', but something weirds me out about this bunch, I really feel they should tear that damn roof off their stadium thus re-add that 'old-school' element to their (Twin) City/fan-base dynamic! This clapping all together in a dome is SO contradicting the Spirit of that ol'e Bud Grant Era!! And THEN they'll make a Super Bowl(s) again and likely-as-heck WIN one(s)! And Detroit should ALSO follow such example! ESPECIALLY in this, now, Dan Campbell Era!! No More Domes!! Make it all Black-and-Blue again!!

I'm seriously not inspired at all by this 2022 first-round playoff-lineup. 9-8 Miami at 13-3 Buffalo, 12-5 Dallas at 8-9 Brady, 9-8 Hawks at 13-4 Forty Niners...so much mediocrity!! And that's no knock on Seattle. Carroll should be praised for this 2022 ('year after Russell') effort of his! But though they did lose to Seattle early on, Detroit simply reeks of being the better of them and the very team (who HAD to win) that they actually beat at Lambeau last night! Not just saying this because, but the Steelers (despite losing to both early on) seemed more deserving than both Pats & Dolphins. Notice that I didn't complain about the Jags! 9-8, but they at least finish strong! Trevor Lawrence obviously transitioning rather well into the NFL...I really HOPE they win!!

But, still, all said...all the MORE reason for each conference to be 6-5-5 with just 6-team-per making it!

Make NFL playoffs FUN again!!
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.