Every team's best/worst season in the SB era spotlighted

Brian wolf

Re: Every team's best/worst season in the SB era spotlighted

Post by Brian wolf »

1998 Jets are the best team they had since 1968 ... They started off well against Denver but made too many mistakes in the second half of that AFC Championship game.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

racepug wrote:
Bryan wrote:
sheajets wrote:For Jets...They really had no excuse for being 4-12 in 1980; they had too many good players on the roster to be that bad.
They were also the ONLY team to lose to the Saints that season. Ouch!
Big things were expected of them coming off 8-8 seasons where you could see a talented core building after the hideous 70s teams. 80 was supposed to be the year they break into double digit wins

Todd was just a mess that year. Turnover machine. Wesley Walker missing time also hurt them...still no excuse for being 4-12 putrid
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Just two cents but the 1978 49ers were the worst yearly team since the retirement and injury filled 1950 season. GM Joe Thomas, seemed to have a nervous breakdown, even trying to erase the team's filmed, media archived history. To my belief and knowledge, the only NFL season of the 1970s that displayed a team truly trying to tank its season for better drafting, trading position, though they paid heavily for an aging Simpson ... Walsh came in and built a coaching staff like Coryell in St Louis, that established new Niner football history.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

'2nd-best' Jets team makes for a rather fine debate!

My vote would have to go to 1998! Yes, my nostalgic admiration for 'NY Sack Exchange', Walt Michaels, and all. And they were Super Bowl-win-capable! But the simple Tuna over Walt, and Vinnie in '98 being better than Todd ever was ought to do the trick. Freeman's Y/A in either '81 or '82 was significantly better than '98 Curtis's. On D they did have Klecko & Mark, but the '98 D had...Belichick.

I agree with '69 not really being a true candidate. I mentioned previously here on their lack of quality-wins that year. As much as many feel that strictly the division-winners should have still made playoffs that year - fair or not - KC was the stronger team than NYJ. They and Raiders were top-2 teams in AFL.

Hell, 2010 has a stronger overall case than '69 as well with, at least, their more quality-wins! And, perhaps, one or two of the Herm Edwards teams has a case over ’69 - especially the installment that "should have" beat top-seeded 'Burgh in the divisional.