punts and drop kicks - rule change

JeffEby

punts and drop kicks - rule change

Post by JeffEby »

I believe that, historically, punts and drop kicks could be done anytime - from beyond the line of scrimmage, or even on non-scrimmage plays. Then the NFL changed the rules (sometime in the past few decades) so that punts and drop-kicks have to be done from behind the line of scrimmage. Does anyone remember when these rule changes went into effect? I found an article from 1980 that indicated that punts from beyond the line of scrimmage were still legal (Cowboys-49ers game - Danny White punted past the line and it was legal), so the rule change had to be after that. Does anyone remember when this change was made?
JeffEby

Re: punts and drop kicks - rule change

Post by JeffEby »

I kept searching, and I found some newspaper articles that show that this change was made in 1991. Before then, punts and drop kicks could be done at any point on the field, during any kind of play. For example, you could receive a kickoff, run a bit, and then punt it to the other team.

As of 1991, punts and drop kicks have to be done on a scrimmage play, and behind the line of scrimmage.
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

You can score a field goal or conversion point on a drop kick, so it makes sense that a drop kick must be behind the line.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Obviously a hold-over from rugby. Too bad they changed the rule. It would be fun to watch a receiver take a pass in and then attempt a kick through the uprights from somewhere downfield!
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

When Dough Flutie did his drop kick for the Pats during his last season, this was after this 1991 rule was implemented.

Before this 1991 rule, there used to be 4 things that any NFL player with the football could do anywhere, at anytime:
1. Declare himself down
2. Call time out (if the team had any remaining)
3. Punt
4. Attempt a drop kick

Before the rule, Flutie used to talk about teams in a last-second trailing situation and outside of FG range should throw a long pass, and get the football to the Kicker on the same play, who could try a drop kick. (like a rugby game) But I don't know if anyone was listening to him.
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

As I remember, it started to circulate that a desperation drop kick could win the game when time expires during a down. That's what started the Competition Committee to close that loophole.

Here is the last legal downfield punt in 1981. Not sure when the last return kick was executed.

https://twitter.com/QuirkyResearch/stat ... 0320144384