Under-appreciated long stretches by franchises

JohnH19

Re: Under-appreciated long stretches by franchises

Post by JohnH19 »

Citizen wrote:The Vikings' stretch from 1968 to basically the present is impressive in a perverse way. During that time, they have made the playoffs 30 times -- third-most behind Pittsburgh and Dallas -- but have never won a Super Bowl. The 10 other teams that have made the playoffs more than 20 times during that span have won a combined 32 Super Bowls.
This is what makes being a Vikings fan so frustrating and painful. So close so many times.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Ever since 1988, the Philadelphia Eagles have never gone more than three-straight years without a playoff berth. And three straight years only happened twice…1997-thru-’99, and 2014-thru-’16.

And every single HC the franchise has had from Buddy Ryan to the present (a total of seven-straight) can say he led the Birds to the playoffs at least once! And if Sirianni can just muster himself another winning season in the City of Brotherly Love, then it’ll also be a case of every Eagles HC since Buddy leading the franchise to at least two winning seasons (yes, that goes for Kotite & Kelly)!
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

The Colts in the 60s after winning back-to-back championships in the 50s and before winning Super Bowl 5.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Teo wrote:The Denver Broncos stretch from 1973-2016 should be mentioned: 8 Super Bowls (3 won), 21 playoff appearances, another 7 winning seasons with no playoff berths and 7 .500 seasons
Actually, I would only include 1976-2006. 76 was the first time the franchise won at least nine games (they did that 22 times during that stretch). They also made the playoffs 17 times, participated in eight AFC Title Games, and went to six Super Bowls (winning two).

They only had one streak of missing more than two post-seasons in a row in that span, and that was 1980-82. While 1980 was the Matt Robinson error (Red Miller wanted Marc Wilson :D, but he didn't think that he would fall to the 20th pick, so he traded that pick, a second-rounder, and QB Craig Penrose to the Jets for Robinson), the Broncos should have made the playoffs in 81 (they went 10-6), and 1982 was the strike year (which probably had an effect on the team).

After their loss to the 49ers in 06, that started a new era from 2007-10. They had no winning seasons or playoff berths, and it culminated in the firing of Josh McDaniels, the most toxic coach in team history. It also led to the 2011-16 era (five playoff berths and five winning seasons) with Tebow and Peyton Manning.
Some Guy From Mars

Post by Some Guy From Mars »

How about the Los Angeles Rams between 1966 and 1989? Started with the hiring of George Allen and ended with back to back losing seasons under John Robinson in 1990 and 1991. In between, the Rams has a very solid track record of consistency with just four losing seasons but also 16 playoff appearances. Yes, just one Super Bowl appearance (a losing effort to the Steelers in 1979), which in no way negates 10 division titles and five NFC championship games.

Most impressive run was under Chuck Knox when the Rams won 5 consecutive division titles but could not get by Dallas or Minnesota to make it to the Super Bowl. Also, in my opinion the John Robinson era is underrated when factoring six winning seasons out of seven between 1983 and 1989 in addition to two appearances in the NFC Championship game. To be completely fair, Robinson cannot be entirely faulted for losing said conference championship games to what many consider two of the greatest single season teams in league history, the 1985 Chicago Bears and 1989 San Francisco 49ers.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

JohnH19 wrote:
Citizen wrote:The Vikings' stretch from 1968 to basically the present is impressive in a perverse way. During that time, they have made the playoffs 30 times -- third-most behind Pittsburgh and Dallas -- but have never won a Super Bowl. The 10 other teams that have made the playoffs more than 20 times during that span have won a combined 32 Super Bowls.
This is what makes being a Vikings fan so frustrating and painful. So close so many times.
I still feel the team that got Hail Mary'd by Staubach would've won it all. At the time I thought the '98 team would've won it all, and if Favre just tucks and runs it that team wins it too. However, in reflection the '98 team was so banged up I'm not so sure they could've beat that Denver team.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The 1998 Viking defense was bad but I believe they would have beaten the Broncos in a SB shootout. Could the defensive line led by Randle get to Elway ?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:
I still feel the team that got Hail Mary'd by Staubach would've won it all. At the time I thought the '98 team would've won it all, and if Favre just tucks and runs it that team wins it too. However, in reflection the '98 team was so banged up I'm not so sure they could've beat that Denver team.
Colts/Vikings would have been an even better, even closer Super Bowl. Contrast-in-styles! Two top-tier HOF QBs, but each prone at times to a costly INT in a big game. With Peterson and that D, you’d have to like Minny’s chances there.

Don’t forget ’87! They do just a little more at RFK in the NFCC, I feel strongly Burnsie, Peters, Doleman, Millard, Browner, Anthony Carter, etc, help themselves to a Lombardi over Denver. IMO an easier victory than if (if) they’d beat Denver in ’98.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Back in 1998 I was convinced half of the way through the season that Denver would win the Super Bowl no matter who they played. No way to know if I was correct of course. Their two losses came late when they seemed to have things mostly wrapped up. The Dolphin team they lost to in the regular season they then whipped in the playoffs when it really mattered.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

rhickok1109 wrote:The Packers from 1921 through 1944 won 6 championships. They had only 2 losing seasons in that 24-year span.
Still strange to say - as someone who became a Packer fan early in the lull (1970 - missed it by *that* much) - but the Packers from '92 onward: 2 championships, 15 division titles, 22 playoff appearances across 30 seasons, with only four losing seasons and two .500 seasons.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen