Best-ever, IYO, starting QB-pairing in a SB and also LCG?

74_75_78_79_

Best-ever, IYO, starting QB-pairing in a SB and also LCG?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Bradshaw/Staubach is first to come to my mind in the Super Bowl era. Then again, I'm being biased. Montana/Marino likely everyone's choice!

Pre-SB? Baugh/Luckman first comes to mind there. They and Graham/Layne!

Are either of those four your opined '#1'? Or is it another pairing altogether? Favre/Elway? Warner/Brady? Manning/Brees? Graham/Waterfield?
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oszuscik

Re: Best-ever, IYO, starting QB-pairing in a SB and also LCG

Post by Oszuscik »

It’s hard to top ‘84 Marino vs ‘80s Montana, that’s pretty epic. As far as a matchup that lived up to the hype of the quarterbacks playing in that game, I think Staubach vs Bradshaw in ‘78 and Favre vs Elway in ‘97 are both good choices.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Dilfer/Collins ...

Kidding aside, Staubach/Bradshaw hands down ... Marino was in only his second season and had no team defense or running game against Montana and the Niners. Had DC Bill Arnsparger stayed with Miami in 1984 --after his defense beat the Niners in 83-- the SB would have been epic ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Bradshaw/Ferragamo or Elway/Williams might have been the best matchup of arms, though Elway still had a good arm against Favre ... Kelly/Aikman also in the discussion.

Oops, I goofed. Best arm matchup was Favre/Bledsoe
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

At risk of having a recency bias, we could have Brady/Mahomes in this conversation.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Favre vs Elway
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Of course the AFC Championship games with Brady/Manning were huge but while Brady was successful against the Colts, Manning got revenge with the Broncos ...
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Montana and Elway in SB 34--even if Elway's team did nothing during the entire game.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Runners up Stabler-Tarkenton SB XI and Manning-Brees Super Bowl XLIV.
Honorable mention Starr-Dawson SB I.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Brian wolf wrote:Of course the AFC Championship games with Brady/Manning were huge but while Brady was successful against the Colts, Manning got revenge with the Broncos ...
In fact, Brady and Manning played each other in four AFC championship games, and Manning's team won three of the four: one of two with Indianapolis, and two out of two with Denver. The one exception was the first time, after the 2003 season, when the Patriots beat the Colts.