Two Pro Leagues in the same Season

NWebster

Two Pro Leagues in the same Season

Post by NWebster »

I hadn't realized that George Ratterman QB's for Montreal in 1951 between NFL stints with the Yanks. Who are other players who played in another professional league between NFL seasons WITHOUT MISSING an NFL season. So the Jim Kiick's and Lary Csonka's who skipped a season don't count, nor would Ross Browner or Gene Brito who took the NFL season off to replace it with the USFL and CFL season, respectively.

I do recall someone who played an NFL Fall, the following USFL Spring and then the subsequent NFL Fall, but cannot recall who?

Any other similar CFL examples come to mind?
Bob Gill

Re: Two Pro Leagues in the same Season

Post by Bob Gill »

NWebster wrote:I do recall someone who played an NFL Fall, the following USFL Spring and then the subsequent NFL Fall, but cannot recall who?
Oh, quite a few guys did that. Just off the top of my head, I believe Craig James did it in 1984 and Gary Clark in '85, but I'm sure there are several others.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

NWebster wrote:
I do recall someone who played an NFL Fall, the following USFL Spring and then the subsequent NFL Fall, but cannot recall who?

I remember that in 1985 Ross Browner played both in the USFL for the Houston Gamblers (5 games) and in the NFL, when he returned to the Cincinnati Bengals (16 games). Dan Ross played in the USFL in 1985 for the Portland Breakers (17 games), then returned to the Bengals (6 games) and then moved to the Seattle Seahawks (10 games). Also, Sean Landeta and Bart Oates played the full 1985 USFL season with the Baltimore Stars (18 games) and the full 1985 NFL season with the New York GIants (16 games) (both Landeta and Oates were in their first NFL season in 1985).

In 1975, John Gilliam played 5 games with the WFL Chicago Winds, then returned to the Minnesota Vikings in time to play the full 14 game season after the Winds folded.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

NWebster wrote:

As for the CFL, I remember many Canadian punters (Ken Clark, Zenon Andrusyshyn, Hank Ilesic) who came to the NFL for a year, then returned to Canada. Anotherf similar case is kicker Jerry Kauric, who came to the Browns and then returned to Canada. CFHOFamer KR Henry "Gizmo" Williams played 15 seasons in the CFL for the Edmonton Eskimos, but played a season with the Philadelphia Eagles in between. Recently, WR Chris Matthews came from Canada and scored a TD for the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl against the Patriots, and later returned to Canada.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

I want to say fullback Maurice Carthon played in over forty games (exhibition, regular season, and playoffs) as a member of the New Jersey Generals and New York Giants from February 1985 to January 1986.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Had Lynch scored instead of the interception, Matthews could have been MVP of that SB, though Wilson probably would have gotten it ... Team should have been a dynasty but the players got paid and their intensity might have waned but a crushing SB loss can do that ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Halas Hall wrote:I want to say fullback Maurice Carthon played in over forty games (exhibition, regular season, and playoffs) as a member of the New Jersey Generals and New York Giants from February 1985 to January 1986.
You´re right, I forgot about Carthon. It's interesting how the Giants wound up with three key players from their 1986 Super Bowl team who weren't drafted by the NFL and starred in the USFL.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:In 1975, John Gilliam played 5 games with the WFL Chicago Winds, then returned to the Minnesota Vikings in time to play the full 14 game season after the Winds folded.
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

Let's not forget Bo Jackson, who rotated between MLB and in the NFL.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Another USFL player who played both full season was Frank MInnifield, who played 30 total games for the Arizona Wranglers and the Cleveland Browns in 1984.